The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
Ochre

Itt: we talk about windshield frames

alright, I bought a rusty '71 K5 several months ago, I'm almost finished swapping out the original axles for a 14BFF/D44 8-lug setup, once that's done I gotta get a motor in my blazer, and I'll *almost* be able to drive it, except I'd be afraid to take it over 20 mph the windshield frame is so terrible, I want to replace it before it hits me in the face. The rest of the rust can wait (a while anyways), everything else I can fix while driving/using my K5

So, I'm curious about a couple of things -

First, for those of you who have replaced your WS frame, how much did you pay for the new one, and where did you get it?

Secondly, are there any good posts/websites regarding replacement of the WS frame? I searched both the boards and google and found little to nothing on how the actual process goes, much less pictures.

third, and lastly, has anyone made their own, or patched one without removing the whole thing? I've seen a few posts where people wanted $big money for just the upper frame or an arm and a leg for a clean firewall/ws frame combo. For less than $300 I could pick up a stretcher/shrinker, and I have a friend who would let me use his sheet metal brake and shear.
Ochre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Re: Itt: we talk about windshield frames

How bad is your windshield frame and can you post pics and maybe I can help you with it.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Ochre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CSTC5
How bad is your windshield frame and can you post pics and maybe I can help you with it.
Sorry I haven't got any pics, and I'm in minnesota so you're a bit far away...basically my K5 sat outside with the top on for quite some time and water got between the top and the WS frame and rusted it badly across the top, in the top corners on both sides there's holes about 50cent piece big and pretty bad surface rust in the center (bad enough I'd worry about the integrity of it), I was curious about the feasability of fabbing and replacing this whole strip.
Ochre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 PM   #4
vtblazer

I picked up a blazer that had been rolled, windshield frame was trash.
I installed a truck firewall and grafted on a blazer windshield frame to it.

Here's a link to the thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=156022
The info/pics your looking for is on page two.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote