The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
djeCST

Motorized fuel selector valve upgrade

I have never been completely comfortable with the “run it until it stumbles, then switch” method for using a dual (or three) tank setup on our trucks. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t like the feeling of running out of gas, even if I have another tank to draw from.

I set out on mission to upgrade my selector valve so that I would be able to read fuel levels on my stock gauge, regardless of which tank was selected.

After a little research I came across the Pollak company who supply all sorts of switches and valves to the heavy truck, RV and towing industries. After a little digging on their website I came up with a set of parts that would do what I wanted:

- a 3-port motorized fuel selector valve, part # 42-151,

- a connector for the valve, part #42-203,

- and a rocker switch, part #34-359.

I later changed this out for a toggle switch as I couldn’t find a mounting location that didn’t require cutting my freshly painted dash. The toggle switch fit perfectly in an existing hole along the bottom edge of the dash.

Wiring the switch and valve was pretty simple with the help of Pollak’s excellent schematic and written directions.

The switch is a double pole, double throw on/on type and only needs a 10 amp ignition power feed, ground and two power wires to the valve. The valve has five connections: Two sending units, two power from the switch and one to the fuel gauge. That's for my two-tank setup - the wiring is a little different for three tanks, but still pretty simple.

I decided to mount the valve on the passenger side, below the seat. Two fine thread bolts through the floor hold it securely in place. Installing the valve on the passenger side allowed for a cleaner path for the fuel lines and only required extending the one from the side tank.

Total cost for the upgrade was less than $100.00. That’s for the valve, switch, connector and some miscellaneous wire.

Here's the valve in place and wired up:

The selector switch is pretty inconspicuous - left is main tank, right is auxiliary. Swap two wires on the switch to change it, or just rotate the switch 180 degrees.

Now if I run out of gas, it's my own fault.
djeCST is offline   Reply With Quote