The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
69ChevyRazorback

need some help with dash lights

well when i tore it apart, i had 2 lights that worked , besides my turn signals.

How many dash lights are supposed to be on when the headlights are on??? i'm getting 4 on when my headlights are on. some reason my brake light still isn't working. is that only for parking brake???

also I put in all new LED bulbs. on my turn signal bulbs, one of them stays on and one of them stays off. they both work left and right but the left one is always on and blinks when I put on the left blinker. why would that bulb be on and the right turn signal be off???? giving me a headache and not sure what to do. I have wire brushed my circuit and got the dirt and overspray off of it. not sure what my problem is. thanks guys
69ChevyRazorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
69ChevyRazorback

Re: need some help with dash lights

man i love working on this truck but some things really test my patience , im sure u guys know what i mean....

do the turn signal bulbs have different bulb holders??? i might of switched one up when i took them out.....
Old 10-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

The TS bulb holders are the same.

If you are having trouble with your dash lights, remove all of the bulb sockets, clean and test the bulbs.
When reinstalling the bulbs in the sockets smear some dielectric grease on the contacts, first.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

there are 4 lights that come on with the head lights in the dash.
The brake light only comes on when there is a hyd problem, and a bulb test when the key is in the crank position. (when actually starting the engine) There is no switch for the parking brake to turn on that light. You can test the wire by unplugging the tan wire from the Proportioning valve under the brake master cylinder and grounding it, turn on the key, the light should come on.
Your turn signal indicators... The one that isn't coming on at all... remove the lamp assembly, turn it 180 degrees, and plug it back in.
LEDs don't work like a light bulb. A bulb you can put in in either direction. LEDs have a positive and negitive.
The other turn signal indicator... check your front and rear, and tripple check that the parking lamp, and tiuurn signal lamp is working properly. They are supposed to stay on when a bulb is burned out, but they aslo do this when there is a messed up ground.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
69ChevyRazorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
there are 4 lights that come on with the head lights in the dash.
The brake light only comes on when there is a hyd problem, and a bulb test when the key is in the crank position. (when actually starting the engine) There is no switch for the parking brake to turn on that light. You can test the wire by unplugging the tan wire from the Proportioning valve under the brake master cylinder and grounding it, turn on the key, the light should come on.
Your turn signal indicators... The one that isn't coming on at all... remove the lamp assembly, turn it 180 degrees, and plug it back in.
LEDs don't work like a light bulb. A bulb you can put in in either direction. LEDs have a positive and negitive.
The other turn signal indicator... check your front and rear, and tripple check that the parking lamp, and tiuurn signal lamp is working properly. They are supposed to stay on when a bulb is burned out, but they aslo do this when there is a messed up ground.

thanks longhorn , great help. I didn't make myself clear on the turn signal that was not on. I meant it was not on at all times. when i put on my Right turn signal , it flashes like it is supposed to . my problem was with my left turn signal and it just stayed on and then flashed when i turned on the left turn signal. I will try turning the bulb holder 180 degrees.

thanks again~!