The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
68_c10_on20s

glass hoods????

anyone ever bought a unlimited glass hood? they have a 4 inch im lookin at,i had a goodmark but the cowl was to small,unlimited makes em from stock all the way to 9 inch at good prices just wanted to see how the quality was before i buy...thx...Steve
Old 06-04-2003, 07:26 PM   #2
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Come on Steve I know why you really want a new cowl hood, or should I say need a new cowl hood. I have heard bad stuff about the glass hood like cracking and such from normal use, but that may just be heresay. I thought you were getting the steel hood fixed. Did you mess it up beyond repair or what?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:45 PM   #3
68_c10_on20s

hood

yeah you know it i sold it at the swap meet last time at del-mar,well i almost got the truck back together inside is painted got some new door panels,new visors and dash pad,also got a gaylord becover for it and its all white now doors are on all thats left to do it find a filler neck for the tank and put in the windshield and back glass then i can drive it,but i saw a guy with a 4 inch custom cowl on his truck and it looked good real good.....
Old 06-05-2003, 11:29 AM   #4
chaptr2

Unlimited has terrible craftsmanship. My family bought a 3 1/2-inch cowl for me for a gift. I didn't have the heart to tell them it looked terrible. It doesn't fit very well; the underside is not finished. You can see where they used cardboard to reinforce the cowl part, and you can see light go through the hood in spots.

About two months after I received the hood, my family got a letter from the Better Business Bureau. Informing them that Unlimited was not backing their work, they would not warranty it, nor would they give refunds.

If you know how to work with fiberglass and have the time, go ahead and buy one, but if you want nice fiberglass hood, then get a Harwood or a US Bodysource hood.

70 GMC Short box stepside Blown 388 Stroker
72 K/5 Blazer 350/SM465/205
chaptr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
Stano

I have a 4 inch Unlimited cowl hood on my 67. It looks good, but the fit is less than desireable. The drivers side fits excellent, the passenger side looks like the hinge is wore out but it isn't. The underside isn't finished but I used the rocker guard and covered it and then painted it the same color as the truck. Yes you can see in hte right light where they used cardboard to reinforce the top of the cowl. I got it cause I could afford it and it was 4 inch. I would get a steel one if they came in 4 inch the 2 inch are just too subtle for my liking. I contacted Harwood and they don't make one for 67-68, I checked with them 3-4 years before that and they said one would be out in a year but it didn't. I would look around elsewhere before you buy and unlimited hood. I kick myself everytime I push the corner of mine down in the back. Also I block sanded the crap outta mine before I primed it and then blocked it somemore and still not straight to my liking. Worst part is my 67 is black.

Nice ride 67 Chevy C-10 LWB Built 350 TH-400

Wifes ride and family rig:
2001 Furd Expedition 5.4 Liter
Kickin back in Rolla,Mo. USA

"Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain" Mark Twain
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote