The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
BringItUP

Fixing jammed up windows

Hey all,
Both the windows in my '72 Custom20 are jammed up (two person job- lifting while cranking). This is the age of Youtube University where there are how-to videos for about everything. Figured, given how beloved these trucks are, that there'd be a handful of videos on how to free up those bound up old regulators. Based on my youtube searches though, turns out that's not true (found 2, not very good). Verbal descriptions about how to disassemble the doors and innards are OK, but video imagery is so much more helpful in general, but especially for people like me who are sorta new to the pieces and parts lingo. That said, anyone have any links to videos on this or other sites that break down the start-to-finish, step-by-steps of the stuck window regulator problem? If not, I'll just dig in using some of the tips I've read about here.

As a side note, I know this site has how-to discussion forums, but it might be kind of a cool thing eventually for there to be a how-to video forum where people can dump the DIY videos they find (or make) related to the various maintenance issues of these trucks. These videos could also be separated into year-range categories and subject-area subcategories like on the discussion forums. Anyway, just a thought.
BringItUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
Hook'em

Re: Fixing jammed up windows

If you haven't already, search the site for "window hard to roll up" or another similar search. There are many causes for difficult windows and it might help you narrow down the culprit.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
cdowns

sometimes every 45yearsor so it is worth lubricating moving parts to make them keep movin
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
68is4me

I am not sure of any videos but they are not hard to fix.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
BringItUP

Worked until past dark yesterday on one door regulator fix. Didn't go buy a new replacement, so reconditioned the old one. Turned out, since the window rain squeegees were UV cracked, broken and letting water down into the door, a good bit of rust settled into the regulator's coil spring causing a lot of friction as the coil's band surfaces rubbed together during cranking. By the way "PB Blaster" is AWESOME at dissolving rust crusted onto parts. Luckily, somehow, no major rust damage on the inner walls and floor of the door. So I wire brushed and spray painted the inside to check what little had started. The BIG pain in the ass is getting the wing window assembly back in. It came out with a little wiggling and turning, but I'll be damned if I can that bastard back in (the same way I took it out). I'm still fighting with it and in the process I've chewed up the fuzzy window track liner with the corner of the window. Any insights or tricks would be very welcome. Thanks
Old 07-22-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
A1971Blazer

I think you need to loosen the rear window channel so the window can move back some.
there are two screws behind the door panel, which you already have off anyway, and there are two at the back on the latch side close to the top....I don't think the channel has to be removed, just moved back a little to give you some room to work the vent window assembly in.....
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
BringItUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
I think you need to loosen the rear window channel so the window can move back some.
there are two screws behind the door panel, which you already have off anyway, and there are two at the back on the latch side close to the top....I don't think the channel has to be removed, just moved back a little to give you some room to work the vent window assembly in.....
AWESOME! And duhhh on my part. Thanks sir. I'm on it. I can tell that that should do the trick.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
GRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
sometimes every 45yearsor so it is worth lubricating moving parts to make them keep movin
Agreed. A few squirts of Silicone spray fixed me right up.

>> "Proper Lubrication Is Essential" <<
Old 07-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #9
BringItUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
Indeed. That did the trick. Thanks