The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
rads42

Thumbs up Re: New Member - 72 Jimmy: Project Knuckledragger mountain commuter

I really enjoy this thread, you're making a ton of progress and you're doing it on the cheap where you can but spending the money where you need to. Great job!
rads42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
snowblind

Re: New Member - 72 Jimmy: Project Knuckledragger mountain commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rads42 View Post
I really enjoy this thread, you're making a ton of progress and you're doing it on the cheap where you can but spending the money where you need to. Great job!
Thanks man. It seems to cost a lot for being "cheap" though...

I have a bunch MORE stuff on the to do list including a new steering box, new leaf springs/bushings, power windows, finishing off the wiring for the seats, new carb, etc, etc, etc.

It sure is a lot of work.

'72 Jimmy Build
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
snowblind

I got a few more things done on the Jimmy.

Windshield washer/wiper upgrade:
These are a big deal for me. My winter driving involves a lot of salt and spray and some really heavy snow and ice. Last winter I ran the stock reservoir with an aftermarket pump and the stock squirters and it was not a lot of fun. I have a plan for upgrading the system that I'll go into later but step one was installing a bigger reservoir and stronger pump.

I pulled a reservoir with built in pump from a Chevy 2500 at the junkyard. The built in pump really simplifies the mounting and makes for a pretty clean install. I also checked out the dual pump reservoir from a S10 Blazer but the pumps mounted on the outside of the tank and didn't look as clean.

Reservoir and pump. I made sure to clip the GM "weatherpack" connector so I could wire it in cleanly.

Here are a few shots of the engine bay after cleaning up the wiring. It's still pretty dirty and the duct tape on the firewall is a nice touch but it's better than it was.

I also installed a new upper radiator hose. It took a few tries at Pep Boys to get the right hose but I ended up with a hose from a 79 Blazer that fits well with my set up. I don't know how it would fit with the stock shroud and fan but it works well for me. The fans have worked flawlessly BTW. Idling in 95º the temp barely comes over the the first hash on the stock temp gauge. That's where it normally runs in the winter!

'72 Jimmy Build
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
snowblind

My steering box has been leaking from the top seal since I bought the truck. In the winter it wasn't too bad but now that it's hot it's leaking more and getting fluid all over the leaf spring and tie rods.

Here's a few shots of the offender after a good scrub down and degreasing.

And now the new Red Head re-manufactured box from Wes @ Classic Heartbeat. I chose the quick ratio model.

Installation was fairly straight forward. I kept the box mounted very loosely until I got everything else hooked back up and then I tightened it down. I did break the PS Return hard line though as it was too corroded to spin. I recommend ordering a new set of hoses for when you do the box. To fill the box I filled the pump and then turned the steering wheel a few turns and it sucked the fluid into the box. Repeated 5-6 times and then did it with the engine running to bleed out the last of the bubbles.

The new box is nice with a much, much smaller dead spot in the center. Steering effort feels a little higher and that makes sense because if it's moving more distance with less steering wheel input it's going to take more effort.

'72 Jimmy Build