The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
64shortc10

Rust repair

Hi everyone,

My 64 has some rust issues! I bought the truck for $500 bucks which seemed like a good deal for a short bed fleet with a big back window. I already had alot of good parts from my failed suburban project, including reproduction fenders, radiator support, and grill. I also got some good used parts, including hood, header panel, doors, etc. My concerns are the bed is pretty beat up with dents, bondo, and unwanted gas doors on both sides. So i'm in search of a bed! My cab also has alot of rust repair needed, including cab corners, holes in the kick panels, and someone even drilled a hole in the roof for a cb antenna and rust started eating around that. But my questiion for everyone is should I spend the money to repair the cab or use the the cab I just found in an old mans barn with little to no rust on it? If I use the new found cab there will be but only a few parts and the frame rails left of my original $500 purchase. The new cab only has some holes in the floor boards, which I can get for $100 bucks. Should I just buy patch panels and fix my cab? Where is the best place to purchase all the patch panel for our year trucks? thanks

Tony from Norcal
Attached Images

64shortc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
slepysal

Re: Rust repair

How much for the old mans cab ?
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
leftcoast66

I'd go for the old man's cab, rather than mess w/ a bunch of repair, cuz think about the time and labor it would take to repair all of the stuff, if paying for that, you'd probably end up paying more than it would be for the good cab, so I'd just got the good one and work from there.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
mbgmike

As stated previous posts. Switch cabs. I wouldn't think twice about it. It's really not the money difference to me its the labor. I've scrapped trucks also that were too rusted to fix. At least you have something left.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote