The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
dave420

new member seeks advice...

hey guys...newbie here needs advice on buying a truck....i have the chance to buy one of two trucks, an 87 chevy SWB(red), or an 86 GMC SWB(black)...both priced within $500 of each other, both have 350's...theyre in pretty good shape, from what i can tell...but i havent owned a truck(89 GMC 1500) since i was 17, ive driven cars since then...right now i have a 85 mercedes 300SD diesel sedan, but i cant afford to have it as my daily driver any more...it takes too much of my time to keep it on the road....

what id like to do, is buy a truck to have as a daily driver, and keep the benz as my weekend time and wallet killer....i just need to know what to look for when buying one of these, what are some common weaknesses? i dont know whether these are TBI or carb., which is better? is it mainly just personal preference?

i was told to check out the spot where the steering box is mounted to the frame, they say its a thin spot in the frame that can crack....i need to know things like this, stuff that only a person who owns one of these trucks would know to look for...im leaning heavily towards the 87 chevy, its interior is really nice, no cracks in the dash, no rips in the seat, tinted windows have kept the color from fading...its got dual exhaust, fresh red paint(not more than a couple years old)....i think im going to try and take another look at it today, drive it and also ask the owner some more questions about it....thanks in advance for any suggestions, im really looking forward to getting back into the Chevy game
dave420 is offline   Reply With Quote