The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
David Flores

Sound deadener

What are some good sound deadener mats? Is b-quiet or Sound Destroyer any good?

If anyone has put sound deadener in your truck, how many sq. feet did it take?

thanks.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
Rokcrln

Re: Sound deadener

I have Dana mat in my 70 Low Buck and it worked great so far. I bought 50 sq ft and had enough to do the back of the cab wall, between the head liner and roof (stock CST headliner type) and on the floor up to were it starts to turn up the fire wall. I will need another 50 to finish with two layers on the fire wall, kick panels and some inside the doors.

I will be spraying Lizard Skin in a customers blazer/truck but I have no personal feeed back on how it works yet.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Slmd92DIME

I have heard of some people use some stuff from Lowes.. I dont know how good it works but I might just try it out... they called it garage door deatener or something along that lines... Its a lot cheaper than Dynamat
Slmd92DIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
85gmcguy
Plays with trucks

I can't remember where this link was posted, but several folks there swore by it as being cheaper and better than "Lizard Skin". I can't vouch for that, but I'm sure planning on trying it when I get ready

http://www.hytechsales.com/prodsc.html

My Dad's Old Truck
85gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
David Flores

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85gmcguy View Post
I can't remember where this link was posted, but several folks there swore by it as being cheaper and better than "Lizard Skin". I can't vouch for that, but I'm sure planning on trying it when I get ready

http://www.hytechsales.com/prodsc.html
I remember that! I couldn't think of the name of it though.

I may order some to test out.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
19GMC63

has anyone used fatmat?
The price seems to be right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100-F...QQcmdZViewItem
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
sixtyfour
Zombie Killer

I went the Dynamat way, Easy to work with but kind of expensive! Well worth it IMO.

Last edited by sixtyfour; 12-26-2007 at 09:40 PM.
sixtyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:01 AM   #8
Slmd92DIME

What was the total cost to do your cab in Dyna mat?
Slmd92DIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:21 AM   #9
sixtyfour
Zombie Killer

I'm guessing it cost me around $350. to $400. worth of Dynamat.
sixtyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

I used a product called Hushmat. Apparently it is one of, or the only sound dampening material used as original equipment by the car manufacturers... Don't know if this claim is true but the stuff is awesome... Peel and stick application and is guaranteed to stick. Cost me about the same as sixty four. Used about 160 square feet. Unbelievable, I know but I covered everything, even put it inside the doors. My truck is loud and I can barely hear it run with the windows rolled up tight. Well worth the money IMO.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:54 AM   #11
badriand

Ok this is where the cheap person chimes in. I used peal and seal from Lowes , it's like for roofs kinda a asphalt type on one side and real thin alum type on the other side. Just as the title peal and seal. Took me 2 rolls to do my 66 helped alot like 15$ each roll.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...625&lpage=none

Last edited by badriand; 12-21-2007 at 05:55 AM.
badriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #12
Chevy Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slmd92DIME View Post
I have heard of some people use some stuff from Lowes.. I dont know how good it works but I might just try it out... they called it garage door deatener or something along that lines... Its a lot cheaper than Dynamat
It is probably the same stuff. It is just packaged differntly. I am sure it is used on the metal garage doors so the metal will not rattle when in use, which is what this stuff dose.. It keep the metal from making a tinning sounds when you hit bumps. The cab on my truck was pretty quiet without any kind of matting. Most of the noise came from all the holes in the firewall which are not sealed up.. I do have a full headliner in the truck which I don't like but it seemed to help out.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

The one thing to consider with the cheaper products is the density of the material. It may or may not make any difference to you but the more expensive products are likely a lot more dense and, as a result, with deaden sound and vibration more effectively. A 55 square foot box of the Hushmat product I used weighed about 45 lbs... It's actually very surprising when you go to lifth this "little" box of material and realize it weighs nearly 50 lbs.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
Old 12-22-2007, 04:26 AM   #14
badriand

I was acutally pretty suprised with the peal and seal. It's pretty thick in relation to dynomat and i have turn downs before my rear axle and it killed alot of the cab noise. With 2 kids i have to cut corners sometimes on cost for my own toys.
badriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:19 AM   #15
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

Firstly, let me say I'm not trying to bash any products or suggest anyone not use them, I'm just posting some information from my experience so that others can make an informed decision.

"Thickness" may not necessarily be a good thing. That is where the density of the material comes in. I imagine that one square foot of the Hushmat or Dynomat product weighs as much, or probably more, than the same area of the Peal and Seal material. The thing about Hushmat is that it is only 1/8" thick which can make a difference when installing it behind door panels, headliners, upholstery or anything else. The thin layer of material is going to provide as much or more dampening as other products without creating a thick layer behind whatever is going on top of it.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
Old 12-22-2007, 06:42 AM   #16
mbgmike

Even though we sell Hushmat Brand. On my vehicles I use a material just as good as DynoMat or Hushmat from a roofing supply company. Why buy it just cause it has fancy advertising? It comes in a roll 18" or so wide with foil on it and works the same. No one sees the name on it. Its just good value for me. you can do two trucks for less then the cost of one using the name brands. Of course I never did any accoustic tests on it but with my old ears I can't tell any.
Mike

Last edited by mbgmike; 12-22-2007 at 06:43 AM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #17
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Several years ago I did the sound deadening thing to my '65. Due to the exhaust exiting in front of the rear tires it placed the mufflers under the floorboards which created a noise level in the cab that was very unacceptable.
First I moved the mufflers to under the bed and ran the exhaust out the back. Huge improvement but I wanted more with the new stereo system install. Dynamat, while great stuff, was just too expensive for me so I found an alternative that I found to be not only acceptable but very inexpensive.

It is nothing more than the plastic bubble wrap used in packaging but this stuff has an aluminum skin on both sides. I got it at the local OSH store (should be available at most hardware stores) and I think I did the whole cab for under $40. This included the entire floor, back side of cab, fuel tank, outer skins of doors, door panels and filled the cab corners. It wasnt so thick as to create problems with seat or amplifier installation and provided the needed sound reduction to make the stereo system play at its optimum clarity (given the limitations of an all metal cab interior). This was complimented by the installation of a complete carpet kit that reaches all the way to below the fuel tank.

Just another alternative that worked for me and would certainly work for others trying to gain these benefits on a meager budget.

Last edited by blackedoutharley; 12-24-2007 at 09:09 PM.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #18
ElkyRacer

Ive been researching and hearing SO MUCH about the Lizzard Skin product, that when I came across this, I was stoked! Read through the thread in the link, its worth your time.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alte...in-103610.html

I love cheaper ways of doing what others sell for lots of money!
ElkyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #19
David Flores

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkyRacer View Post
Ive been researching and hearing SO MUCH about the Lizzard Skin product, that when I came across this, I was stoked! Read through the thread in the link, its worth your time.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alte...in-103610.html

I love cheaper ways of doing what others sell for lots of money!
I just ordered a gallon of it. Not sure when I'll get it due to the holidays.
I'll let you know the results when I spray it.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #20
62scraper

Here is another product that I found. I have not used it so I cant tell you how it is.
http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/ind...a4db3dde8709f8
62scraper is offline   Reply With Quote