The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

ok another hei question

k my 66 c10 has a newer 350 whith hei in it i took all the wiring out of it cuz i a compleat dumbass and now i have a red wire a purple wire and a pink wire the red and pink are hooked up to a toggle switch flip the switch and touch the purple wire to either side and the motor cranks i have the ingniton wire from the distributor running to the place my batery hooks up to it was cranking fine then we recharged the battry and i hooked it up the same way to day and nothing happend it still cranked . i cranked it till the intake valve on tha #1 cylnder opended and closed truend off the switch and started to work on the distributor to get the rotor to point at the #1 cyln as is was doin that i heard a a crackiling sound on my left i was facing the windsheild sitting on the radiator and on the driver side i saw smoke rolling off a electrical box and felt my leg being burned throught my levis my truck was on fire got it put out and leftit sitting n0one of the wires were fused any one have any in put on how to get it running cuz if i could get it running i will have more reason to fix it up i will try to get some pics up to day thanks and merry cristmas to yall
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: ok another hei question

I'm having a hard time following you, but here goes.

To wire the HEI, all you need is one wire. Use 14 ga. Go from the HEI to a terminal on the fuse block that reads IGN (ignition). If the terminal is not fused, put a 20 amp fuse in the wire near the fuse block.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

yeh that how it was set up but there is no fuse blcok the only wiring is from the the starter alt and batt
Old 12-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Then the one wire would go to the ignition switch terminal that is hot when the switch is on.

Wiring these old trucks without fuses is like begging for a fire. Not a good idea.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:56 AM   #5
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

found that out