The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
ItsRandy

Just a reminder...

A close friend of mine was driving his '69 Chevy long bed pick-up truck down the road about 50 miles an hour when he says "It sounded like I hit a landmine". BOOM! His truck shook and shut off for a second or two then began running again so he drove it home (about four miles). As he was driving he began smelling an acid smell. When he got home and opened the hood this is what he found.
The moral to this story is: Batteries really can blow up...big time. I have been working on cars for 40+ years and have never seen a battery blow up, I have been told it can happen but have never seen one that has. Hydrogen gas is explosive and only takes a small spark/internal short in the battery to set it off, so be careful.
Attached Images

ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
cedorris
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super

Re: Just a reminder...

Wow! What kind of damage did it do?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
midniteblues

I have seen the aftermath of a wallyworld neverstart battery that went k-boom in a friends 70 chevelle... what a mess
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
GMCJOE

I have witness one explode first hand. A guy I know went to unhook a battery charger off one.... BOOM... Right in his face! Lucky dude, went to the hospital and had to wear some patches over his eyes for a few days.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
haminator

Iv'e had 2 pop. One was in a box in the back of a 57 Chevy. Just never checked the water level, then one day boom. Didn't leave hardly any acid. The other in my 72 442, same thing, out of water. Hit the key and pop. Both were in Phx. AZ in the summer. Both seemed to be empty. I'm guessin the heat took its toll combined with poor maintenence on my part.
haminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedorris View Post
Wow! What kind of damage did it do?
Nothing very bad. Acid all over the engine compartment and under the truck. Blew the side marker light out of the fender on the passenger side of the truck. He washed it down for about 2.5 hours right after it happened, we will see how bad it rusts after the acid bath.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
birdistheword

Here's the aftermath of one of the two Caterpillar batteries that exploded in a big 621B scraper. They weigh about 70 lbs each. We sat them of away from us and they smoked for hours.
Attached Images

birdistheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
big_al_71

this happened to my wife about ten years ago while driving she said similar story that it sounded like a bomb went off she pulled over got out of the vehicle and got our daughter out. she called me but at that time i worked an hour away so my brother in law went over to meet them till I could get there and in fact the battery had exploded and sprayed acid all over the engine compartment.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Thanks for the reminder. Maybe it will save someones eyes. My ex-brother in law had one blow in his face while removing it and had to be hospitalized. He was lucky it didn't damage his eyesight.

I have worked on vehicles for 50 years and have done all sorts of maintenance on batteries from replacing, charging, adding water and even replaced acid in some and never had one explode but there's always the chance.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
treveiger

How do they explode like that? Is it a poor maintenance thing or what...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
How do they explode like that? Is it a poor maintenance thing or what...
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not really sure the cause of my buddy's explosion, however I do know this: when a battery charges or dis-charges hydrogen gas is emitted form the battery, hydrogen is explosive (it's what powers the space shuttle, along with a little oxygen) and all it needs is a little spark and, BOOM! The spark can come from a direct short in the battery, it can come from connecting jumper cables incorrectly. Always connect the positive cable to the battery first then, connect the negative cable somewhere on the motor, away from the battery. If you have a battery you can add water to, be sure the water level is topped off, reducing the empty volume in the battery case for the hydrogen to build up in. Oh yeah...no open flames or welding around a battery.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

I've had 2 blow up in my 65 years. The first was in 1981, I had removed the battery from my tractor and was charging it. I was about 15' away and heard the charger change the pitch of the hum it was making while charging. I went over to it and just as I started to reach to unhook it it blew up. I had glasses on so my eyes were protected. I ran over to the house and yelled for Naomi to come out and spray me down with a water hose After a few minutes of being sprayed I shed my clothes and got in the shower.I was red for a while but nothing that left a scar.

The second one was my son Lew's (Lewser on the board) battery in his MGB convertiable. The battery was located under the passenger side rear seat and he had my 36" snap on pry bar trying to get the hold down out of the way.He shorted the battery and it blew the top of the battery thru the back plastic window. He was home on leave from Great

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

The comment about the hydrogen gas is on the right path. When a lead-acid battery is in a discharged state, it will give off hydrogen-sulfide gas, which will remind you of a rotten egg. It is that gas which is dangerous.

In my former life, I supervised folks who drove 48-volt electric fork lift trucks. When the battery was closer to being discharged, it would heat up. At the same time, charging them will heat them up. But, we didn't have to connect jumper cables to the pos/neg posts on those batteries.

I believe that the correct way to connect jumper cables is to connect the positive and negative ends to the discharged battery, first. Then, connect the positive cable to the hot battery, and finally the negative cable to the hot battery. Some all-knowing electical gurus have told us how to do that, but we don't always follow that rule, do we?

I can tell you that a 48-volt battery that explodes will create a lot more damage than a 12volt battery....in case you wondered.....oh, they (48V)can kill a person if they are close enough.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Daner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
I believe that the correct way to connect jumper cables is to connect the positive and negative ends to the discharged battery, first. Then, connect the positive cable to the hot battery, and finally the negative cable to the hot battery. Some all-knowing electical gurus have told us how to do that, but we don't always follow that rule, do we?
Yes positive first then negative on discharged battery. I don't usually worry about it though because it's always windy in ND. Gas doesn't stick around long. But yeah it would be a good thing to make a habit of.
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
cedorris
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super

Here's a pretty good article about exploding batteries, why it happens, and how commonly it occurs.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...a-dead-battery
Old 10-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
dwarf717

I used to know a guy that had a battery explode in front of him. He worked at a GM dealership, was wearing safety glasses when it happened, but some got by. He/they washed his eyes out, and he felt OK. I was at the hospital when he came in a few days later in alot of discomfort, and sight in one of his eyes was bad. He was told it was too late for his one eye, and the other treated and bandaged up. The next time I saw him, he was totally blind. I need to keep reminding myself of him, so I work with batteries safely
dwarf717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
RustyBucket

About 35yrs. ago when I was younger & dumber I was charging one of my boat's batteries and smoking at the same time. I had the fill caps off and looked down into the battery to check the water level with the cigarette hanging out of my mouth. Blew the top off of the battery and battery acid all over me. Apparently I shut my eyes just at the right time and got to the garden hose quickly. I still do dumb things .... did manage to quit smoking though.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
weever82

Wow... these stories are scaring the crap outta me. Note to self: start putting on glasses when messing with battery.

I also have a super start extreme (like the 1st one up top) in my truck... makes it even more scarier... damn.

Weev-

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
pritch

I've seen two blow up, one up close and personal. When we first hooked up, my wife had this POS '75 cougar and the battery was weak. I went to visit my friends, but they were not home, and sure enough, that cougar woundn't start. So I pushed down thier driveway and out into the middle of the street, figuring that the next guy by would either have to give me a jump or turn around and go back the way he came. My plan worked perfectly. Some old guy pulled up and rolled down his window and I said I needed a jump. My hood was up and the cables were hooked up to my battery. Now, at the time I had owned a slew of lousy cars, and I had plenty of experiance at jumping them. He popped his hood, and I had a cable in each hand. I guess it's not recommended practice to connect each of them at the same time, because that's what I did and his battery went off like a stick of dynamite! It dang near blew my left thumb off, and being winter I had on one of those nylon and down parkas and it was shredded and feathers went everywhere. I looked down and all I could see was the bottom half of his battery and the cables were still attached to the posts. I still had ahold of my jumper cables, so I went ahead and hooked them to what was left and ran around and fired up the cougar. By that time, the old guy had gotten out of his car and was wondering what had happened. I had a 20 in my pocket so I gave it to him and took off. I only had a short ways to go, but by the time I got home, the rest of my parka had disolved and I looked like I had been tarred and feathered. My thumb was a bloody mess, I had cuts and bruises all over my face and neck and by then my eyes were burning pretty good. It was a good lesson.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #20
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Isn't it mainly a problem on calm days or in buildings where there isn't enough air circulation to clear out the hydrogen?

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #21
Ol69C10

Had no idea this could ever happen. I'll definitely be alot more careful when dealing with batteries in the future.

Want 6/6 static drop.

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
Ol69C10 is offline   Reply With Quote