The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
usmccraig23

NEED HELP on my 68 chevy c20

Hey guys this is my first post... I just bought a 68 chevy c20 that has alot of work along with it........ we pulled the bed to sandblast and that is a huge project..... had to replace all wheel cylinders and all springs....and didnt know this but the rear axles inside the shaft have to come out to get the drums off.

Now im onto the ball joints and tie rod ends inners and outers...
NOW HERE IS WHERE I NEED HELP
The ball joints were factory so they were riveted...spent about 6 hours just tring to get the upper cut out and thank god finally did it....every single bolt is stripped and nasty as could be...its soooo bad the bolts just turn and dont do anything.. the A ARMS are to big to and the drums are also to big to get the biggest ball joint puller in there.
ITS THE BIGGEST just ridiculous project I could ever imagine but yes this is what I love...

Does anyone have any special tricks to remove the lower ball and or know anywhere to replace the actual whole drum assembly including everything but the A ARM. Please guys this is my last chance I want to get this project finished before I go to Afghan.

Please and thank you
usmccraig23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
usmccraig23

Re: NEED HELP on my 68 chevy c20

The Picture of both ball joints...
I want to know if the whole drums, brake assembly and the connection arm for the ball joints is sold somewhere...

The picture o the NUT.
that one and the one on the other side just spin.. no matter what way righty or lefty..

Thank you guys for your time
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
usmccraig23

Does anyone know where I can get a stock non conversion spindle kit for the truck?????
Old 10-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Take the nut off of the lower ball joint. Spin the whole assembly until you can get a good swing at the spindle with a hammer... Use a brass hammer (so as to not damage the spindle further) and give the spindle (where the lower ball joint comes through) a couple good blows, and by good I mean swing as best you can. After a couple blows you should be able to lift it right off of the lower ball joint. If it doesnt repeat until it does. No need to use a seperator. I rarely ever do!

As far as the nut that keeps spinning and nothing happening. I dont remember exactly but I would bet that that nut is on a bolt that goes all the way through the setup.

No need to replace good parts that just need to be cleaned... Might want to look into getting a factory manual. Or at a bare minimum maybe a haynes manual to help out in situations.
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
ole dollor

you will need to jack up on the brake backing plate. that will put the weight on the jack. now use another jack or jack stand under the a frame. and one under the truck frame. the jack or stand that's under the lower a frame need to be about an 1" or 2" lower than the a frame, when you hit the lower ball joint with a big hammer the ball joint will drive down the lower a frame and the spring will push the lower a frame down, most of the time you will have to hit it several times...make sure you have a jack or jack stand under the lower a frame but not touching it.the spring will help you to get it out, and its going to be loud when it comes loose....or go buy a lower ball joint puller that fits your truck...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
usmccraig23

thanks guys. I finally got the spindle off after hitting it a bunch of times as hard as I could. really appreciate the help...
Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
s_nova69

Ah the ol ball joints! I remember when... Jk

Many hours I spent on my first ones on my nova. Nothing beats a BFH here and a ball joint press. It looks like a mo do C clamp. Your local parts clunkier should have one to rent.

After your done the next side will be easier.

The bolt that is spinning does go all the way though the spindle so just take off the drum to get to the other side.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thanks for your service to this great nation!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
4wd '72 Suburban LT4 coming soon!!
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
usmccraig23

ok guys got the driver side done with many problems lol.

once I had the upper riveted off the holes they were still full of old bolt... had to heat and drill and chisel them out...
I was fighting the lower ball for hours today and realized that the pressed part was above the a arm just a little bit so I used a BFG and hit it probably 5 times each side instead of using the removal tool and holy cow came right out....

AND THE SPINDLE UGHHHHH... well the upper was so bad that i had to cut above and below the spindle and also the tie rod end (which left the spindle and tie rod end with left over joints in them.......so instead of heating and drilling and chiseling I took it to a local machine shop and they pressed it out for 20 BUCKS... it was amazing.. like they were brand new lol.
Once I got the spindle back it was time to put everything back together. the upper went in perfectly and so did the tie rod inner and outer....
I used a Ball Joint Installer tool which I rented from a local Auto Zone and it pressed in with ALOT of pressure on my bones lol.
I put the spindle on and then connected it all up including tie rods and its immovable now so it worked perfectly.....
So tomorrow is the day for the passenger side...definitely gonna be a better day and learn from my mistakes...

My project so far on this truck and yes all at the same time
1. Sandblast bed (rest of truck later)
2. Wheel cylinders on rear (and spring kits)
3. Upper and lower ball joints and inner and outer tie rods Driver side
4. Tomorrow is same as 3. on the passenger (hopefully alot smoother)
5. Finish the sandblasting of the bed and etch primer this weekend
this is such a love/hate relationship lol

This is the first time Ive done ball joints like this
Ive done them on my 67 nova and my 47 ford pick up but nothing like this 3/4 ton holy cow...

I really appreciate all your guyses input and I had learned many things this short while being on this site
Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

I don't know if it will help you, but I just did a front disc conversion on my '69 C20. I kept the old stock spindles with the brakes and drums because they are all in very good condition. PM me if you want some time.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote