The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
hpcgmc

another front suspension swap question

I'm looking at alternatives for my 67 GMC front end. In reading about this, I see three options:
1. 1971 front discs
2. 1973 to 87 front cross member to get discs, more modern front suspension and power steering.
32. buy a disc brake kit and just install the disc brakes.

Here are my goals - I'm not building a show truck, but it's not my daily driver. I've had the truck for 30 years and plan to keep it for another 30 years. I want a good driving, good handling truck that I can run around town in and maybe take to a few local car shows. Whether I use my existing front end or a 73-87, I'll be replacing ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, etc, and probably adding a sway bar. Engine will be a sbc with 300 hp or under and probably a newer transmission (whole different thread). I will probably use the truck to haul my dirtbikes and bicycles around, and maybe tow a moto trailer, but mostly it will be a toy.

I want power steering and power disc brakes and probably a 3" drop to lower the truck. I don't know yet if I will keep 6 lug hubs or switch to 5 lugs. I have not invested in nice wheels yet, for this reason (and I believe the offset changes if I use 73-87 front end). I don't have a cutting torch or a welder. I'm good with bolt ons, but not so good with actual fabrication, so if fab is required, I'd probably have to pay for it (and I'm a cheap bastard!). I don't have the space to buy a 73-87 and have it at my house for months to dismantle it, then haul off the frame with no front suspension.

My questions:
will I get significantly better handling with a 73-87 front end?
How much work is the 73-87 swap vs. just adding aftermarket front discs and spindles?
how hard or costly to put in power steering if I don't use the 73-87 front end?

I know there are alot of variables, so I appreciate all the input I can get. I'm researching now and hope to figure out a plan and do the work in the spring.

Thanks!!