The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2024, 10:41 PM   #1
farside847

71 : 3-on-the-tree linkage bushing identification

After 120k miles and 53 years, my 71 3-on-the-tree locked up on me going from 1st to 2nd. I took a closer inspection and my linkage is very loose. After comparing it to a few diagrams it looks like a few rubber pieces are completely warn and gone!

To my knowledge the linkage has never been adjusted or removed before, so I guessing they disintegrated from use? But, now I do not have the old ones to look for, so I was hoping to get some help identifying the correct ones to use.

I spent some quality time researching past posts and learned a lot, Here is a great reference I found in other post with some added position numbers that will help me ask my questions down below:
Name:  bushing placement.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  82.4 KB

Here is my column, Mine looks slightly different than the above reference image, but I did notice that there does not seem to be a grommet in position #2, Is this needed for both arms, or just the one closest to the front of the truck? Is this sometimes not used? https://classicparts.com/1947-76-shi...ontrol-grommet

Also, position #3 from the reference image, I am not sure if this is missing on my truck. All I have is a nut and a washer on the back and no "retainer" thingie.
Name:  collumn.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  57.1 KB

Here is the connection where the rod connects to the transmission arm marked #1. The bushings are totally gone, looks like I need two of these per rod. https://www.carid.com/atp/shift-link...pn-jo-119.html - Are these the right ones? and does anyone know of another source, this link is low on stock
Name:  tran.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  36.3 KB

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 06-09-2024, 11:07 PM   #2
oneshotkyle

Re: 71 : 3-on-the-tree linkage bushing identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by farside847 View Post
After 120k miles and 53 years, my 71 3-on-the-tree locked up on me going from 1st to 2nd. I took a closer inspection and my linkage is very loose. After comparing it to a few diagrams it looks like a few rubber pieces are completely warn and gone!

To my knowledge the linkage has never been adjusted or removed before, so I guessing they disintegrated from use? But, now I do not have the old ones to look for, so I was hoping to get some help identifying the correct ones to use.

I spent some quality time researching past posts and learned a lot, Here is a great reference I found in other post with some added position numbers that will help me ask my questions down below:
Attachment 2367388

Here is my column, Mine looks slightly different than the above reference image, but I did notice that there does not seem to be a grommet in position #2, Is this needed for both arms, or just the one closest to the front of the truck? Is this sometimes not used? https://classicparts.com/1947-76-shi...ontrol-grommet

Also, position #3 from the reference image, I am not sure if this is missing on my truck. All I have is a nut and a washer on the back and no "retainer" thingie.
Attachment 2367389

Here is the connection where the rod connects to the transmission arm marked #1. The bushings are totally gone, looks like I need two of these per rod. https://www.carid.com/atp/shift-link...pn-jo-119.html - Are these the right ones? and does anyone know of another source, this link is low on stock
Attachment 2367390

Thanks in advance for any help!
At the column linkage will be a rubber grommet with steel sleave. The #3 in diagram is just a lock nut. At the transmission will be plastic bushing that looks like a top hat
Attached Images

Last edited by oneshotkyle; 06-09-2024 at 11:46 PM.
oneshotkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 02:09 AM   #3
cericd

That diagram from the GM manual threw me too because the parts didn't match the ones on my 1970 truck (mine look like your pics). It must be showing the earlier models parts.

Here are the parts I ordered from Classic Parts but haven't installed yet.

Rubber Grommet

Metal Sleeve

Plastic Top Hat (currently out of stock) - That part on carid.com ATP® JO-119, is the same part and seems to be available at other places i.e. RockAuto & Advance Auto Parts. However, I do find it odd that the ATP website lists the product notes as "Upper; THM400; THM350; THM350C"

Retaining Clip (transmission end)

I also bought these grommets since I couldn't be certain which ones were correct even after scouring the forum. Looks like they may be for the 60-66 pickups according to this image from the "truck and car shop" catalog.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872

Last edited by cericd; 06-10-2024 at 03:06 AM.
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 02:28 AM   #4
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotkyle View Post
At the column linkage will be a rubber grommet with steel sleave. The #3 in diagram is just a lock nut. At the transmission will be plastic bushing that looks like a top hat
Hey Kyle, are there two "top hat" bushings used per rod, one on either side of the shift lever as shown in the diagram (marked #1)? Or just one with the "brim" of the "top hat" going between the rod and the shift lever?

Old 06-10-2024, 11:16 AM   #5
oneshotkyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Hey Kyle, are there two "top hat" bushings used per rod, one on either side of the shift lever as shown in the diagram (marked #1)? Or just one with the "brim" of the "top hat" going between the rod and the shift lever?
Only one per rod and then a Flat washer on opposite side with clip or cotter pin
Old 06-10-2024, 04:57 PM   #6
farside847

Thank you all so much for the help, glad to know my reference image was off, it was not looking right.

So it sounds like I need
I was searching and searching for anyone else who has those top hats. If anyone else knows of a source I would love to hear. My poor truck cant be driven until I get this fixed.

Also, once I combine the Rubber Grommets and the Metal Sleeves for the column, do they go between the lever and the rod clamp where the green arrows are pointing? And when I loosen the lock nut to add this new Grommet will the rod be loose too? I dont want to further mess up my linkage alignment...

Thanks!

Name:  collumn.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  57.5 KB
Old 06-10-2024, 08:38 PM   #7
cericd

Unfortunately, I haven't done mine yet so I can't say the exact (safest) steps to follow to prevent things from getting further out of alignment but I had planned to start at the top using the following method.
  1. Clean old parts well with some cleaner and stiff nylon brush (Yours look are clean already, mine are dirty and greasy)
  2. Once clean take plenty of photos to determine order of re-assembly
  3. Mark placement/depth of shift rods in swivels. Possibly use painters tape below swivel and sharpie above to mark.
  4. Remove nut on ONE of the upper rod linkages. Take apart, inspect & measure original parts to determine what was used, i.e. nuts and washers, since drawing in manual is for multiple years.
  5. Measure diameter of rod and test fit aftermarket bushings to determine which style is needed. (may need to use original metal sleeve, per forum posts)
  6. Put (old) parts back together and perform steps 3-6 on the other upper shift rod.
  7. Go under truck and repeat the process with lower shift points.

I'm sure that's overkill but I'm also trying to document what was actually used in the first place since the diagram states it is for 63-65 10-30 Models and I can't find a diagram of what was used on the 67-72 trucks. Also, I haven't found a thread where someone documented what was there originally. They used what they could find locally and whatever worked for them at the time, i.e. metal tubing with rubber hose around it for the top bushing or a generic retaining clip at the bottom instead of the original style.

It looks like your metal sleeves are still present up top but I can't tell if they're worn or damaged. The rubber bushings that go over them appear to have disintegrated completely (same as mine and most others).

The bottom is the confusing part since most people seem to only skip that and only replace the top bushings. Probably since the bottom pieces are harder to find and are generally completely missing except for the retaining clip (which makes me think there is no washer before the clip and two of the top hats (for a total of 4) used as shown in the original diagram). I have collected several "recommendations" and images from various threads and vendor websites so I'll do whatever seems most logical when I'm putting it all back together.

Here is a picture showing how the raised edges of the upper rubber bushing sit on either side of the shift lever once pressed into place. Also a pic that appears to show two of the "top hats" being used on each rod at the bottom. But who knows if that stuff is all original?
Attached Images

Last edited by cericd; 06-10-2024 at 10:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-10-2024, 08:40 PM   #8
cericd

Also, this seems to be the go-to thread to use when trying to adjust your 3 ott to get the most out of it. Most recommend following it after you have replaced you bushings.

Old 06-10-2024, 10:01 PM   #9
oneshotkyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Also, this seems to be the go-to thread to use when trying to adjust your 3 ott to get the most out of it. Most recommend following it after you have replaced you bushings.
Most valuable 3ott thread to date.
Old 06-10-2024, 10:05 PM   #10
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotkyle View Post
Most valuable 3ott thread to date.
Yep, everyone that uses it and reports back seems to be much happier with their 3ott afterwards.