The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

How to remove non A/C blower motor?

Mine is making some noise. Almost like it needs to be lubed, but it could just be going out. So, I'll either remove it and lube it, or install a different one.

Question: can it be uninstalled by just removing the outer bolts that surround it, or does the whole housing that holds the heater core need to come out? Sure would be nice if I can get to it easy like I'm hoping, by just removing those bolts that hold it on
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
1972BackInBlackC10

Re: How to remove non A/C blower motor?

its just the screws that hold the fan in, take them out nd the motor will pop out you dont need to take the whole heater box assembly off
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
its just the screws that hold the fan in, take them out nd the motor will pop out you dont need to take the whole heater box assembly off
Wonderful news! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
darush01

I took mine out to get the rats nest out and i had to take my hood and the hinge off because it hit and wouldnt come out but i had it out and cleaned out in less than 2 hours it was put back together and working good
Posted via Mobile Device
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by darush01 View Post
I took mine out to get the rats nest out and i had to take my hood and the hinge off because it hit and wouldnt come out but i had it out and cleaned out in less than 2 hours it was put back together and working good
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have an A/C model?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
pritch

I can't remember if the hinge is in the way or not, but it's only a few more bolts to undo. The ones that hold the hinge to the fender. Just remember to mark where the bolts are so it goes back the same. I need to do that same thing. Troubleshoot my entire heater in ol'green. These last couple of weeks has really shown how deficient it is.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
oklalawnboy

Had to remove hood hinge when i took my blower motor out. I have a/c truck
76 Monte Carlo
83 Chevy short wide Silverado
96 Mazda Miata, 2000 Allegro Bus
oklalawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
I can't remember if the hinge is in the way or not, but it's only a few more bolts to undo. The ones that hold the hinge to the fender. Just remember to mark where the bolts are so it goes back the same. I need to do that same thing. Troubleshoot my entire heater in ol'green. These last couple of weeks has really shown how deficient it is.
Oh, that's right. You took the blower outta that 68 at the junk yard I frequent. I bought the door panel trim, and I believe the heater vent hoses and defrost vents out of that same truck.

Man, my heating situation was really bad when I got this truck. It didn't even have a heater core. The blower housing was full of leaves. I had to replace the heater control, because it snapped away from the rivets that hold the face on. Both defrost hoses were broken or missing. My defrost vents were cracked and barely hanging on. I got all of that fixed. I did it myself for about $80 in parts. Not bad. It gets so toasty and warm in there now. It's just sort of noisy at times when the blower squeaks, so I'm hoping I can get a better used one off a newer 71, and lube it up really good while I've got it apart
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklalawnboy View Post
Had to remove hood hinge when i took my blower motor out. I have a/c truck
Does the hood just support itself from the other hinge while you do the work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Does the hood just support itself from the other hinge while you do the work?
Posted via Mobile Device
It's best to have a helper, but if not, you need a broomstick or something to hold the hood up. Once you get the bolts out, the hinge will just drop straight down and sit on the inner fender. Sit it on some card board or something if you're worried about scratching the paint on the inner fender.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Pack something soft between the hood and the cowl panel when you remove the hinge. The remaining hinge will not support the hood and it will twist back and hit the cowl once you remove the passenger side hinge. It's no big deal, just have some folded up towels or something in there to protect the paint when it happens.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Longhorn 70

And put an old flip-flop or 2 between the hood and the cowl if you are doing this solo. I did mine yesterday, A/C truck, and it took me about 30 minutes to pull the entire evap assy.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
darush01

No, i have a 72 custom 20 base model
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
darush01

I just marked everything and pulled the hood off, i was on my own and didnt wannt the hood to fall back into the cowl or winsheild, it wasnt bad, now i just need to replace the heater control and defrost vents but until i find the parts i have a hot wire and switch running from the fuse box, but the blower situation wasnt that hard just took a few mins
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
AirSpeed

I've taken the blower motor out of several of my trucks without removing the hood hinge. I think it depends on how the truck is assembled, some come off with no problems just as some steering columns have to be lowered in order to remove the dash cluster and some don't, hopefully you won't have to remove the hinge! I would do as others suggest if you end up having to remove the hinge, stuff some towels between the hood and cowl but have a stick or something to hold the hood up as well!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Well, I got to practice on one at the junk yard. It's pretty easy to remove one of the hinges, and it stays up just fine if you put something under the hood to protect it.

I was able to get the motor out to inspect it. I dunno. It looked pretty worn. I was hoping to get one that hadn't been stuffed with leaves and gotten wet. I would have just bought it and tried it, but I'm not paying $20 for a 40 year old motor that may or may not be good, when I can get a brand new one for $29. These junk yards are so hit and miss. Some stuff is a steal, and others are an absolute ripoff
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #17
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I have both trucks 1964 -- 72 trucks worked on both heater cores.I found out if you buy a after market heater blower motor.they give you 2 options one for heater core only and one for AC and heat I bought 2 of them found out the parts guy gave me 3 AC and heat modals I put one in my 1965 3/4 ton and one in my 1972 heat only and still have the 3erd still in the box that is ment for AC and heat the 65 man Blows so dam hard and heats up the truck really fast and very Hot.the 1972 3/4 ton use to blow ok But now Blows hard and fast take up to 5 min's to get it to 140 F in my truck cab.Now i looked at all the numbers there all the same.the AC blower motor at the parts house would cost me 35.00 the none AC one cost me 21.00 so looks like i got 3 AC blowers in all 3 of my trucks.So for now on i will just buy the AC blower motors.I do see the amp's usage is a lot higher then the old Motor use to use witch means i could where down my battery faster but can't complain about the fastness of how fast my truck heats up
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
Daddy Brim

I would just by new. Did a quick search and found this http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...709_0379045556

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Brim View Post
I would just by new. Did a quick search and found this http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...709_0379045556
Thanks for the suggestion. I never even thought of using them. I guess their commercials are so annoying when watching football, that I just blocked them out lol. Anyway, if get it there I don't have to pay shipping
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
I have both trucks 1964 -- 72 trucks worked on both heater cores.I found out if you buy a after market heater blower motor.they give you 2 options one for heater core only and one for AC and heat I bought 2 of them found out the parts guy gave me 3 AC and heat modals I put one in my 1965 3/4 ton and one in my 1972 heat only and still have the 3erd still in the box that is ment for AC and heat the 65 man Blows so dam hard and heats up the truck really fast and very Hot.the 1972 3/4 ton use to blow ok But now Blows hard and fast take up to 5 min's to get it to 140 F in my truck cab.Now i looked at all the numbers there all the same.the AC blower motor at the parts house would cost me 35.00 the none AC one cost me 21.00 so looks like i got 3 AC blowers in all 3 of my trucks.So for now on i will just buy the AC blower motors.I do see the amp's usage is a lot higher then the old Motor use to use witch means i could where down my battery faster but can't complain about the fastness of how fast my truck heats up
I don't see how the blower motor would effect how quickly the air it blows gets hot? It just blows the air, that's either heated or not from the heater core. Seems like maybe you've got a better heater core, radiator, radiator fluid, etc. in one of them, so the blower can blow out hot air more quickly. Right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #21
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Brim View Post
Wait. Scratch that. I reserved it on their web site, but they just called and told me that it would have to ship from Kentucky, and that I'd have to pay another $10 in shipping
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
darush01

If only i had more money than sense id grab it and drive it out there for the road trip but unfortunately im broke
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

That blower motor is a 20 dollar part at most any parts store. I just checked O Reilly and Autozone. Both show in stock at the local store and priced at 21 dollars. I'm sure your local store is similar.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #24
Daddy Brim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
That blower motor is a 20 dollar part at most any parts store. I just checked O Reilly and Autozone. Both show in stock at the local store and priced at 21 dollars. I'm sure your local store is similar.
X 2. A Lot of parts you can still get at your parts store. I always check them first before ordering on line.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #25
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Good thinking. I bought my heater core from Autozone, and it works great. I'll check them out
Posted via Mobile Device