The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
1962k20

top loader & cab mount question

I have a 62 k 20 how do I remove the shifter? Its a top loader. The tranny looks to have a pin-(s) holding the shifter in place (Its worn out and has a lot of slop). Im getting ready to put a new cab on the truck soon but need to remove the shifter. Also Im rebuilding the cabmounts there the same as a c 10 not the c-k 20-30 type, why I don't know? But it works out good ,I have all new rubber mounts. I need to know the hole diameter. The originals rotted away on the top . Thanks
1962k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
rwgregory

Re: top loader & cab mount question

Can't help you with the cab mounting issues, but I can tell you how to remove the shifter. Remove the rubber boot from the floor, you can just slide it up the shift handle toward the shift knob. Where the shifter comes out of the trans the shift shaft should be covered with a tin,(sheetmetal) ball shaped cover about 2" in diameter. Firmly grasp the shifter handle with one hand and the tin ball cover with the other hand. Push straight down on both and try to turn them either right or left to about the 10:00 or 2:00 o'clock position. This should "unlock" the shifter so you can pull it straight up and out of the trans. Hope this works for you.

67 GMC 2500 ,2w/d wide box
305 V-6, 4-speed
rwgregory is offline   Reply With Quote