The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
ctsandb

1300 mile trip on the horizon

I have my 69 in Kentucky with me but my 71 has been in Wyoming with my brother-in-law. Now that my 16 year old son is taking over the 69, I'm ready to bring the 71 out.

The 69 was bought new by my grandfather and I got it when I was 13 for working for him on his farm for a summer. It would only go in reverse when I got it. I fixed it and drove it through high school, college, and until I had kids when the transmission went out again. We left it at my parent's farm/ranch when we moved to Kentucky. My son and I put in a new transmission and drove it out to Kentucky a few summers ago. He is now driving it and I need my own.

The 71 was bought new by the University of Wyoming and used in their physical plant until 2001 when I bought it at their surplus auction. It is a short bed and when I was a student at UW, I'd see it around and wish that it was mine. It has a 307 and automatic. It has some floor rust and at some point got hit in the back rear corner. It was fixed but some of the bonds is starting to crack. Other than that it's in pretty good shape.

I doubt it has ever been driven on the interstate more than 10 times in the past 45 years. At some point, the university put an HEI distributor and recovered the bench seat in it but other than that it is bone stock.

I'm flying out to Wyoming this weekend to see my mom and am going to evaluate the truck as to whether it is up to a 1300 mile drive. I'll change the fluids and the hoses, tune it up, and check the brakes, tires, and suspension. It it looks good I'll start driving back on Monday night after a meeting in Denver. What's the worst that can happen?! I have family and friends along the way and I could always put a call for help on here!

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on the progress!
Attached Images

1969 1/2 ton 2WD CST
1971 1/2 ton 2WD Shortbed
1977 Mercedes 450SL
1966 International Scout
ctsandb is offline   Reply With Quote