The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
72step

Question about selling truck online

I have a question about selling on ebay. It looks like the first three tries are free of up front fees with a $125 if the reserve price is met or the buy it now is executed. You pay the fee whether your vehicle actually sells or not.

Can anyone offer any advice regarding selling online? Are deadbeats and scammers really common on ebay through an auction? I would strongly consider selling it through auction but I can't afford to be paying the $125 fee because some idiot is messing around. It looks like most clean trucks of this era are started at $1000 and quickly go up to $10k depending on the truck.

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-08-2009 at 05:55 PM.
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
big_al_71

Re: Question about selling truck online

I have had good luck with ebay buying and selling.
In here you would have alot of exposure as the mount of hit this website gets every second, pay the $25.00 dollars and ecome a paid suscriber and who knows you might sell it right of way.
post some picts also.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
72step

So for 25 bucks with the premium annual membership I can advertise my truck in the classifieds? What kind of success rate do people have on here selling trucks in comarison to ebay? Thanks!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
cdowns

for local and free it's hard to beat craigslist//i've had loads of problems with ebay scammers ending my buyitnow auctions for the nigerian check scams etc people not following up trying to haggle on the price after the auction // with a local sale on craigs you get to meet face to face with the sale and get real american dollars on an asis sale and you're done with it
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
I have had good luck with ebay buying and selling.
In here you would have alot of exposure as the mount of hit this website gets every second, pay the $25.00 dollars and ecome a paid suscriber and who knows you might sell it right of way.
post some picts also.
I would agree...for $25 you would get a targeted market with a minimal investment. I sold my 99 Taco on ebay for about $1500 over Blue Book plus thry paid to have iy transported to Ca. from Ohio. But my first approach would be this site. Good Luck.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
big mike71

I hate trying to sell stuff, because you always get a bunch idiots wanting to drive your stuff saying they will be back tomorrow etc. etc. Atleast on here people would know what you have and what it's worth without all the B.S.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
cl79c10

I dont know about other areas but Craigslist has gone to crap here in Oregon. Tons of scammers lately and the always present crack heads. (they dont bother me as much as the stupid scammers) I have had a car on there for about a month for $2000 less then bluebook and all I am getting is scammers emailing me.
cl79c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72step View Post
So for 25 bucks with the premium annual membership I can advertise my truck in the classifieds? What kind of success rate do people have on here selling trucks in comarison to ebay? Thanks!
Yes and it would go to a captive audience that most know alot about these buckets.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
72step

Yeah, I have it on Craigslist actually but haven't had but one call that sounded serious and he never called back. I have had really good luck with selling other stuff on craigslist here in the last 2 years including a boat for 8500. I've always had the seldom idiots trying to offer 10% of an asking price but I tell them where they can go. It's been slow this year though. Economy being still tanked and all I guess. Craigs is so mysterious though. I've had stuff on there a month and nobody calls maybe 2 price checkers, then within a day I get three calls that absolutely need what you're selling! I guess people look at it randomly. Perhaps I will try this site here soon. Thanks....
Old 08-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Here is another free site that I have had good luck with.

http://www.kijiji.com/

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
NYC-10
screamin eagle

I have had good luck with Ebay selling 2 trucks over $10,000 ea.It is good advertisement that reaches the whole world.I usually put my phone # in my ad because alot of times the deal is made after the auction is over.good luck
Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #12
'68 C-20

I sold quite a bit of stuff and one truck on ebay. Most of the time it went well, the truck sale was very smooth. I only had one bad experience selling on eBay, it was a motorcycle. Even though I specified that I would only participate in any shipping to the New England States, some moron in Puerto Rico kept bidding on it. I contacted him and told him I would not ship it outside of New England, but he kept on bidding anyway. He kept sending me emails saying "how you much ship Peurto Rico" . By the time I realized I could block him and reject his bids, he won the auction. Of course he never paid. It took about 4 weeks to resolve the issue through eBay's "resolution" system, get credit for my fees and able to re list.
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
72step

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 C-20 View Post
I sold quite a bit of stuff and one truck on ebay. Most of the time it went well, the truck sale was very smooth. I only had one bad experience selling on eBay, it was a motorcycle. Even though I specified that I would only participate in any shipping to the New England States, some moron in Puerto Rico kept bidding on it. I contacted him and told him I would not ship it outside of New England, but he kept on bidding anyway. He kept sending me emails saying "how you much ship Peurto Rico" . By the time I realized I could block him and reject his bids, he won the auction. Of course he never paid. It took about 4 weeks to resolve the issue through eBay's "resolution" system, get credit for my fees and able to re list.
That's why I will stay away from ebay for now. It could go good, but if it goes bad it'll really set me back. I'll continue on Craigslist then probably this site and see what that brings. It's only been on craigslist like 6 days now with the exception of a one week run I did in early July but kinda changed my mind about selling it so I pulled it.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
mclairmo

I sold a trcuk on Ebay and bought a truck on Ebay and it works well if you follow some rules. Never accept anything but cash, not even a cashier's check. Never sell to a person that cannot meet you in person and pay in cash and take delivery right away. Never deliver a truck or allow it to be picked up by a third person. Make sure the buyer signs all proer DMV paperwork and make sure you deliver to the DMV any release of liability forms needed so that if the buyer kills someone with the truck after he takes it from you, you will not be liable.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
55chevy
Car Truck Bike Nut

It may help on Craigslist to delete and re-post it to keep it current, I think they allow every 4 days.
94 3500 TD dually
so many cars so little time
72 K2 CST 2WD Blazer
55chevy is offline   Reply With Quote