The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Trip Report: 2000 LS1 + 1970 GMC

It's been a long way to get to this point. (Links go to LivingWithStyle.com forums, my old threads there)
Engine Purchase Thread
Transportation and Insurance
Wiring and Exhaust
Disassembly and Prep
LS1 Teardown
Engine Mounted
Completion Anticipation
LS1 Blueballs Thread
LS1 Startup Thread

I really wish I could've taken more than three passes down the strip, but it was really horribly crowded, and in seven hours I only got those three runs. The green-highlighted entries are the best of the night; the far right column is my dad's '01 Z28, as we raced together in a bracket-race format. He redlighted, while I cut a decent light (0.101, not great but not bad) and ran EXACTLY my dial.

The truck drives like a dream. The lessened weight has freed the front end up a bit, and at least last night on the track, it hooks surprisingly well. 2.2 60' times aren't bad for a pickup. I cut three 14.40's on 30,000-mile-old Yokohama Avid S/Ts, while another guy in a 5.0 Foxbody on drag radials couldn't break 14.90. Power estimates from the 95MPH run and an estimated 4200lb weight as-ran put it at 315hp - which is just about perfect for an engine rated originally at 305hp, with a freer-flowing intake, exhaust, but an automatic and more weight / more air to push around.

I really, truly couldn't be happier with the end result right now. If you want to see even more photos, see http://salj.info/cmine/ and click on the LS1 swap album.