The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
Bantha

Installing Headlights

My truck came without a grill or headlights. I just wired everything up and now I have to put the actual lights in the grill...but I am lost.

I have both light assemblies, 4 long screws, 4 plastic pieces and 2 springs.

Is this all i need?

Anyone have pics of how to install?

Thanks!

I have a 1964 C-10 longbed by the way.
Bantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: Installing Headlights

Bantha:

You need the following to install head lights on your '64-'66 Chevy truck grille:

2 head lamps
2 stainless steel lamp rings
2 head lamp buckets
6 small flat head screws
4 plastic inserts
4 adjusting screws
2 springs

Insert the plastic screw keepers into the square holes in the grille mounting brackets, that are attached to the grille. There are three square holes in each mounting bracket, however you only need to install a plastic screw keeper in the top hole and the left hole of the bracket, two on each side. Then loosely install the four adjustment screws into the four plastic screw keepers.

The springs must be inserted into the dimpled area of the mounting bracket with the straight piece going through the hole in the inset area. The spring will have a small curl on it pointing out. This hooks into the slot in the stainless steel lamp ring. Put the stainless steel lamp ring over the head lamp and secure with three flat head screws.

Now look at the head lamp and make sure the print is right-side up, so it reads correctly. The head lamp will have two small alignment dimples on the back side. These accept the head lamp buckets. With the bucket on the back of the head lamp, sit the assembly into the grille mounting bracket. Lay the stainless steel lamp ring on the head lamp.

Insert the two cut-outs in the stainless steel head lamp ring into the shoulder of the two head lamp adjusting screws. With needle nose vise grips, insert the hook of the keeper spring into the slot of the stainless steel lamp ring. The spring holds the assembly in place and the two shoulder screws are used for head lamp adjustment.

Use a liberal amount of dielectric grease on the head lamp connectors and plug them into the back of the head lamp harness. The end of the head lamp harness can now be plugged into the connector at the radiator support.

Secure the grille to the grille support with six bolts from the backside of the grille support. This takes some gentle persuasion, whereas all the holes don't always match up perfectly. Only insert the bolts in a few turns, to allow the most amount of adjustment, until all bolts are started. After all six bolts are started, tighten each bolt, to secure the grille to the grille support.

Install six, three on each side, screw keepers onto the inside opening in the grille. There are holes and an indention to accept them. These will accept the six, three on each side, screws that secure the head lamp bezel. With six stainless steel screws, secure the head lamp bezels, three per bezel on the right and left side.

If all other wiring is in place, the project is complete and the head lamps should now work properly. Photos would be a big help, however I am not close to my trucks or my digital camera, therefore a narrative will have to due. I hope this information is helpful.

Tony

Last edited by LILRED66; 06-08-2007 at 08:55 PM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
salazar44
65 - Chevy C10

Can I save this to a "favorites"?

Last edited by salazar44; 06-08-2007 at 09:43 PM.
salazar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Vic:

Of course. If it is helpful, by all means, do so.

Tony
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
salazar44
65 - Chevy C10

cool... how?
salazar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:59 AM   #6
LILRED66
Account Suspended