The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
ludwig

steering question

ok...now that i have disk brakes into my 65 I need to figure out steering. Should I go to the junk yard and get the centerlink, tierod ends, idler arm-my idler arm is shot. The way I've read...anything from 73 up should fit right in with the 65 pitman arm...right? and i can drill new holes for the later idler arm...right?) or should I buy the adapter sleeves from CPP and keep my centerlink and get a new 65 idler arm. Staying manual for now but don't know if I want to someday go to power. If i go to power I know the later steering linkage is beefier...does it mater?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
baddawg65

Re: steering question

Good luck finding a power steering pump brackets. I've been looking for a set. If someone tells that they are universal with a 250-their not. The 292 deck is taller.

Last edited by baddawg65; 06-11-2007 at 12:53 PM.
baddawg65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
LILRED66
Account Suspended

ludwig:

In order to convert your '65 Chevy C10 to power steering you need:

pump/pulley, gear box, hoses, engine mounting brackets and power steering conversion kit.

This is a good site for all of these item:

http://www.classicperform.com/6092chevtrk.htm

To answer your question, you do not need to change the "centerlink, tie rod ends, idler arm", unless these parts are damaged or our of factory specifications. If these parts need to be replaced, most are available over the counter at your local auto parts stores. Putting on used suspension parts is putting on used suspension parts and they may not be much better than what you already have. A complete front end suspension rebuild kit, including upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, tie rod adjusting sleeves and idler arm, is available at CPP, listed above.

Also, check out this site for a play-by-play for converting your '65 Chevy C10 to power steering:

http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/power_steer.html

I used this site, as a reference on my first conversion and it was very helpful. It is the best play-by-play instructions to do the conversion, that I have found.

In closing, you stock manual Pitman arm from your manual steering box, will not work on a GM Saginaw power steering gear box, because the geometry and spindle size at the box is larger on the Saginaw box. Use the Pitman arm from the donor box. It will have the correct tapered hole to accept your factory center link/drag link.

I hope this information is helpful and good luck with your power steering conversion.

Tony
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
LILRED66
Account Suspended

baddawg65:

The factory power steering mounting brackets for the six cylinders in the '60-'66 Chevy trucks are very rare and hard to find, due to the low production number of power steering equipped six cylinders. The six cylinders were manufactured 4-to-1 over V8 of the era, however very few were equipped at the factory or dealer with power steering.

When I find a factory set, I am going to engineer a set and produce them for the inliners.

Tony
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
ludwig

what about making them in the shop...has anyone done that?