The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
tbrown5079

Universal Radiators

Has anyone dealt with Universal radiators and used their direct fit radiator with automatic transmission cooler. $429 doesn't seem like a bad price. What do you think?
tbrown5079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
gmcer

Re: Universal Radiators

not trying to hi-jack your post but today the local rad shop called said mines toast. truck is original, looking for a decent replacement for a 50' gmc. kinda stinks chevy ones are easy to find
gmcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown5079 View Post
Has anyone dealt with Universal radiators and used their direct fit radiator with automatic transmission cooler. $429 doesn't seem like a bad price. What do you think?
for a custom application specific radiator, that price sounds right inline with the norm.although you can save a good bit of money (about half that) if you're willing to fit a "universal" one in instead.

btw, i have yet to ever fit any "direct fit" radiator in any sort of custom car without some modifications to the mounting of it... because of that, unless the radiator mounting area of your truck is dead stock, i dont really see that as money well spent.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
hsdropout

You might try "leadfootracing" (sp) seems I saw somewhere that they have a good deal on all aluminum rad to replace stock unit.
Buying a radiator sight unseen seems a bit risky in any case IMO.
My original stock rad still seems to be in good shape, I'm going to test it for leaks. I'm not sure how it would work out with a mild 350, some say it would be fine for short hopping, maybe not to Vegas and back.
hsdropout is offline   Reply With Quote