The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

Gas tank cleaning

This afternoon I pulled the gas tank today from inside the cab. It is full of rust and sludge. Now I am trying to decide on how to clean it. Several people have suggested letting a rdiator shop clean and seal it.

Anyone have experiences with having it done at a shop versus Eastwood or POR products that I could do myself?

68 C10 Long Step (Pretending to be a Long Fleetside) Grandpa's Farm Truck

3 on the tree, 307, No power brakes or steering
Factory Options - HD rear spring and Ammeter/Oil Gauges

My truck blog
My Car Domain page
TruckinDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #2
Zeke

I did the Eastwood thing, good idea but a lot of work. Uses muratic acid (not part of kit) which is pretty nasty stuff. I tried to revive a junk Nissan tank with internal baffle and was not real happy with results, couldn't get all the excess sealer out and it made a big blob in one corner. By the time I got the stuff, cleaned the tank and sealed it my original with the 12" gash in it was aired out enough the welding shop would weld it for $10 no leaks and clean. Did learn one thing Eastwoods Metal Wash is a good degreaser and does prevent flash rust. I would have a radiator shop do it or try to find a cleaner tank. If you decide to do it yourself get everything set up and give youself a whole day to complete, once you start you can't stop.

When Thomas Edison worked late into the night on the electric light, he had to do it by gas lamp or candle. I'm sure it made the work seem that much more urgent. George Carlin
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
BOSS
Just here to help

I had a radiator shop clean and coat mine and was very pleased.

Norwood Survivor
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
give youself a whole day to complete, once you start you can't stop.

Wow, great advice. I never seem to have more than a couple of hours at a time for truck stuff.

Thanks for the info, guys.

68 C10 Long Step (Pretending to be a Long Fleetside) Grandpa's Farm Truck

3 on the tree, 307, No power brakes or steering
Factory Options - HD rear spring and Ammeter/Oil Gauges

My truck blog
My Car Domain page
TruckinDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
cdowns

i did it once ,won't ever do it again// i'll take to a shop or replace b-4 i go thru that again
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I've done both for our museum with tanks that are not available. Around here the problem is the cost of getting a tank boiled. Only one radiator shop left that boils, and he has a line at the door. Last time I called the price was approaching one Ben Franklin!

The POR tank sealer is a good product, but you must follow their instructions to the letter, or the stuff won't stick and it's tough to get out. Best results without getting a tank boiled have been with the following: Put a handful of hex nuts that are 1/2" or bigger in the tank. Used ones if possible, the finish will be stripped from them. Then mix the Marine Clean with hot water and pour in the tank. Rock the tank in order to knock loose the junk letting the nuts do the abrasive work, mainly on the bottom of the tank. Rinse and dump out the nuts. At this point, diluted muriatic acid can be used, but it must immediately be neutralized with baking soda. The acid will remove the rust, but it will also open up any pinhole leaks. Unless the rust is heavy, I avoid the acid. Then treat with the metal ready and apply the tank sealer per the instructions. It's very important for the tank to be dry before sealing. One way the speed up the drying is to connect the exhaust of a shop vac, but be sure the vac is clean, you don't want to blow in dirty air.

All in all, it is a lot of work and costs some bucks to clean a tank. I opt for a new one when possible, it's a lot easier and not near the headache.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:23 PM   #7
70short/step

I worked at a Radiator shop many years ago and doing it at home I cant believe that you can do as good of Job! You dont have any mess taking it to the radiator shop...No fumes and no explosions either! Yeah, we had a couple of guys bring in tanks that they tried to do thierselves. The products now days are probablly better than back then, But There is no way I would try it at home!

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
xam

Nuetralizing with baking soda solution is a good idea, But also try to find phosphoric acid instead of muriatic basically acid without the chlorine component MUCH less likely to flash rust. As said I used to own a blast shop and have cleaned / coated hundreds no kidding of auto and motorcycle tanks. To much info to list so be careful.
xam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #9
junkyarddog67

Gas tank

I have a tank that I pulled from a 71 GMC. I think they are the same. If you are interested, I would like $25.00 plus shipping. I'd give it to you but the closest greyhound station is 90 miles one away. Let me know if you are interested.
Attached Images

junkyarddog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:11 AM   #10
motocrosschump

Vinegar will nuetralize the acid also.
1969 Chevelle 2 door 350/3
motocrosschump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
Pilgrim

OSPHO is the brand name for commercially available phosphoric acid. Works well.