The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
chops333

bed swaps

can anyone tell me if a 64 stepside swb bed fit on my 68 swb frame does anybody have any pics. i can get a really nice 64 at a steal. thanks ahead of time for any replies
chops333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:55 PM   #2
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

There are slight differences. The early beds had a different mounts for the box. These are spot welded to the box cross member. Taillight brackets and mount holes will be different, fender mount holes are different and the lower front section (that extends down to the top of the step) and step may be different. I used a '73 box that was supposed to be indentlical but there was lots of welding and modifications to be done on that thing. Good Luck!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:27 AM   #3
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

Bed interchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by stllookn
There are slight differences. The early beds had a different mounts for the box. These are spot welded to the box cross member. Taillight brackets and mount holes will be different, fender mount holes are different and the lower front section (that extends down to the top of the step) and step may be different. I used a '73 box that was supposed to be indentlical but there was lots of welding and modifications to be done on that thing. Good Luck!
The 64 bed will be closer to fit than the 73, but still plenty of work to get it right http://www.mar-k.com/bed_side_interchange_gm.html The 64 bed sits about an inch higher off the frame and about 1 inch to the rear from a 68 step bed. If you can use the original or reproduction 68 cross sills and rear cross sill, then welding up fender mount holes in the bedsides is the biggest problem. The only parts that are truly the same are the front bed panel, tailgate and chains. Everything else is close but requiring work to make it fit right.

Mar-Ktech