The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
lyrikz
PITbut

What would you put in your toolbag.?

Say you had a toolbox and you had to fill it with tools that were ONLY for your 71 Chevy. What tools would you buy to fill that box?

Reason im asking is i have only ever worked on hondas. Every tool is metric and im basically starting over on my chevy. What would you guys recommend i pick up???

With my hondas i had a tool kit tha ti could practially disassemble and reassemble the whole car with the tools in this kit. IT all fit in a neat little craftsmen tool box. Im hoping to get a list of wrenches, sockets, or any specialty tools i would need along the way on this rebuild.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Re: What would you put in your toolbag.?

Fill it with a AAA card is the best advice I can give. I stopped carrying tools with me a long time ago, just because the AAA card works with all the cars and every member of my house. Tow it home and deal with it later. I even bought my parents a membership last month

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post
Fill it with a AAA card is the best advice I can give. I stopped carrying tools with me a long time ago, just because the AAA card works with all the cars and every member of my house. Tow it home and deal with it later. I even bought my parents a membership last month
HAHAH, thats perfect.... Done and done on that.

Im leaning more towards when im at home working on the truck. I have no tools outside what i had to rebuild all my hondas. Get me??

on the AAA card.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
jamie72

need to ask longhornman...

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
dogdaddydbtg

Get a Craftsman tool set in SAE(fractional) sizes.Sockets and wrenches along with screwdrivers and maybe a Harmonic balancer puller and a torque wrench and you will be able to do most anything. Hell, I changed my engine on a KFC parking lot with a little help from a couple of friends.
dogdaddydbtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Be sure to put a Leatherman tool in it, too.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
tclaremont

cell phone

spring from a ballpoint pen
a paper clip
an aerosol can
a brillo pad

Man, that McGuyver guy could do anything with that stuff...
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I say save your money and skip the torque wrench. Unless you are digging into the engine, you don't need it. While yes, every single fastener has a torque value, common sence tells you not to use a 2 foot cheater pipe to install a valve cover, and you don't use a 1/4 inch drive rachet on wheel lugs.
A set of 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, and 1/2 inch sockets and rachets are a great start, open/box combination wrenches, assorted screw drivers in flat and phillips, a couple hammers... but you probably already have that covered most likely.
A disk brake piston tool makes pad chainges super easy, and at less than 20 bucks at sears, an easy tool to afford, some pry bars are needed, although, I highly recomend NOT getting craftman's 3 footer... seen too many ppl bleed from them when they snap. The smaller ones are OK, but watch what you're doing.
A floor jack and stands are manditory. Cinder blocks crumble when you put cars on them, and you have too nice a driveway to be ripping up with them anyways. A wide 'shop type' floor jack is very nice, and well worth the money. Those little ones that fit behinde the seat...I've seen too many of them break, bend, fall over.... etc.
Safety glasses are a must, ear plugs.... ehh, if you get a compressor, then some good hearing protection is needed. But honestly, I think air tools may be jumping the gun a bit for you. It's a lot of money when you are just getting in the hobby. Racheting wrenches are nice, but not as awsome as some would have you believe. I have a drawer full of them, and I sledom use them.
Sears makes some great value tools, they kinda suck if you use them all day every day, but no one expects a hobby mechanic to spend 300 bucks on a simple wrench set. They are a good comprimise. Keep an eye on good tools on e-bay (try to buy local, keeps the shipping to a minimum, and the shipping is what keeps the bids semi low) Pawn shops is another great place for quality tools too.
As for specialty tools, a harmonic balancer puller can often be used to pull steering wheels, so if you are carefull, that's a 2 in one tool, a vacume guage can be had cheap, and is a great tuning tool, a test light is MUCH cheaper than a multimeter, and eaier to use. Most hobby mechanics are scared of electricity and don't need a multimeter anyways.

As for the aaa card... what does that cost for a year? How many miles will that tow you? How often do you plan on breaking down? (I know you NEVER plan on it, but you see what I'm getting at) How often would you use there 'other' discounts?
My opinion, save that money, and pay for a tow out of pocket. Hide a $50 in the owners manual in the glove box... that should cover a tow, and you don't have to keep on paying it every month.
I've been driving old trucks for over a decade, and junk all my life. And while yes, my truck has been on the back of a tow truck twice, I'm willing to bet I am $$ ahead. Many of there other services are not aimed towards people like us. If I get a flat, I get my happy rear out and chainge it, then I cuss at myself for driving on a bad tire. I haven't run out of gas in years, and there is next to no excuse for that to happen. A jump start... $30 set of cables... some one will stop at just about any time of day to help, and possibly quicker than the tow truck would get to you.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
BCOWANWHEELS

full set of combination wrenches, small and large straight blade screw drivers, channel locks, vise grips, and a set of 1/2" sockets from 3/8 to 1" with ratchet. minumum......
better to have it and not need it as to need it and not have it..... also a G.I. ammo can makes a great waterproof tool box and fits under the seat nicely. oh yea a can of starting fluid for a cleaner and as many rags as there is room left in tool box. a pair of gloves and a flashlight too...... bout forgot a small 6' siphon hose...
jmo
bob
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16

Last edited by BCOWANWHEELS; 10-10-2007 at 09:29 PM.
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #10
streetstar

you probably already have all the pliers, clamps, and other assorted tools like that if you were a Honda tech. Screwdrivers, ratchets, things like that

If you were a mechanic, you know that the more you use them, the more you appreciate good tools, like the ones from Snap On, Mac, Proto and Matco . (yes despite what many Sears defenders say - there is a big difference in some tools)

If the old trucks is merely a hobby and its gonna stay that way -- Craftsman is the value king-- Husky is ok too (Home Depot's house brand) but the stores sometimes differ in their selection, while Sears' are consistent.

What i would recommend ----

A good 1/2" 6 pt. mid length socket set and a decent fine tooth ratchet, if you dont already have one.

deep and shallow 3/8" sockets, and the same in 1/4", only make sure the 1/4" stiff is 12 pt.--- it can be a life saver in tight places with small fasteners (which typically aren't on gimp-tight)

I have been using Gear Wrenches for about everything lately for my combination wrench needs --- they are awesome -- if you havent used these, i enclosed a pic so you know what to look for

Pics are a collection of a few of my faves for working on a truck -- first is an air ratchet, 2nd is a big cheap crescent wrench (surprising how much it comes in handy), 3rd are Blue Point water pump pliers, but any brand will do -- then are the ratchets - 1/2" Craftsman fine tooth, 3/8" Snap On antique, 1/4" small head Matco, long needle nose pliers, Gear wrenches, Duckbill pliers, - the most versatile ones in my toolbox, then there's a Craftsman ratcheting scrwdriver - this one is a really good copy of a Snap On design --- last but not least is a set of swivel sockets - these are great.

Some of the other pics are of my big safety wire pliers -- maybe not needed unless you go racing --- then there's a small air compressor (to run the air ratchet and occasionally an impact wrench), and my 18v Dewalt drill motor with wire wheel attached -- If you use them a lot, DeWalt, Milwaukee and Makita make the best, and they are great for cleaning small parts with the wheels available, as well as, putting holes in things and driving screws

streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #11
BurnoutNova

another real good thing i cant live without is my pocket LED flashlight... i use that thing atleast 25 times a day. i know most dont, but i need it at work. it seems like whenever im out in the garage messing around i need it.

i could go on and on about how handy certain tools are, but it seems like the best way to figure out what tools YOU need, is to cross that bridge when you get there. sears and auto parts stores are open fairly late, so whenever you come across a need for something just go get it. and theres definately somthing to say about wasting money on tools you'll hardly use... ive spent thousands on stuff i could live without (for real, i know its hard to believe but its true)
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 PM   #12
wibilly

my favorite and most often used wrench on these trucks is a 1/2 and 9/16 ofset boxed end wrench
Old 10-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #13
streetstar

Forgot to mention it ----- but a big-ass rollaway tool box is very nice to have --- at least the bottom box anyway

This is my main toolbox -- all the SAE stuff , pliers, etc. --- it looks like a bomb blew up in its vicinity all the time and would likely take half a day to ever get straight --- all the add-ons are the result of not buying a big enough nottom box initially -- but, i was an airplane flightline mechanic for years, - everything on an airplane is still SAE and smaller boxes are handier for moving around a hangar constantly

This on the other hand , is my "metric only" toolbox -- much better and neater (about 300 bucks on sale - i think)- and probably along the lines of what would be useful to you --- i would resist the temptation to get all the add-on mid and top boxes, etc. as long as i could. Having a cleared out top with a sheet of mdf on it makes a great spot to put your Haynes manual on or whatever and makes a good portable workbench --- the top drawer of this one is actually devoted to reading material --- i'd like to say its torque specs and re-build manuals, but its actually just BMX and old nudey chopper books.

streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
kxnomore

Great question.

The trick to a good toolbag (and there is a huge difference between a tool BAG, and a tool BOX) is to avoid duplication of use.

I have a junkyard toolbag that I've used for over 25 years, and it rarely lets me down:

3/8" to 7/8" sockets- 3/8" drive of course- 12 point.

HIGH quality 3/8 drive ratchet with 3 extensions- 2", 6", and a universal joint.
1/4" to 3/4" regular length 12 point combination wrenches.

(6) screwdrivers- shorty 2" #2 philips and standards, mid length 6" #2 philips and standards, one 12" standard (for prying and leverage), and one #3 philips.
10" knipex alligator pliers. These things are incredible- try them.

6" diagonal cutters.
1/4" drive ratchet and a mini set of 1/4" sockets from 3/32" to 1/2". with one 3" extension.

mini flashlight.
16' tape measure. Don't laugh, you never know when you need this.
6" vise grips

1/2" breaker bar with a 1/2 to 3/8 (and a 3/8 to 1/2") adaptor for the rough ones.
two or three 1/2" sockets- 7/8", 15/16" (and lug nut size socket) (varies per vehicle) and a 4" 1/2" drive extension.

12" crescent wrench
o-ring (dental pick) tool.

electrical tape, duct tape, teflon tape, aircraft gasket maker, and JB weld.
10' or so of #12 ga. wire and a mini wire stripper with a couple of solderless connectors and terminal ends.
dead weight ball peen hammer
6" pipe wrench (for the incredibly stubborn and stripped bolts).
small metal chisel
spark plug socket (13/16) and one extra plug.
tire guage.

That's it.
And I swear I can grab this box and go anywhere knowing if I don't have it I need a tow anyways. Help me out guys, is there anything that can't be pulled/ fixed with this?
kxnomore is offline   Reply With Quote