The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
joekewl_chevyfreak

Monojet Problems

This is my first post on this website... ive been coming to it for about a year now and its like heaven on earth. Anyways, in 73 or such, my gramps bought a 68 from a guy that used her as a worktruck, all i know is it had a cracked exhaust manifold on it but he replaced it, which turned out to be worped lol... Anyways My dad was a mechanic and was intending on rebuilding the little 250 but he got sick and later died and at the time I was 4ish. But i can remember my gramps drving it through town, and i was with him the last time it was on the road... it died in an intersection... that was the last time he drove it off his land. But about 3ish years ago he gave me the pickup as a 'pidler' and about a year ago he ended up dying. Since my dad died when i was so young, he was like my second dad, so ive really been itching to restore it being that it kinda means alot to me and all, Well, im only 16 and not really much i can do... but i have some know-how So, in about july of 07 i began fixin her up, choped the muffler off, changed the oil (she has still got installed a franz oil cleaner), new air filter, new plugs and wires, and she was running beautifully (being that that was all i have done to her) then disaster... the carb backfired... so i rebuilt it... and theres where i need help, i finished it in about a month and installed it and she started right up, then disaster... again... there is a part that connects to the throttle that is a gas vacuum or some such and it wont stay connected... can anyone give me some pointers?

(sorry for the crappy details and spelling and all)
Attached Images

'87 Dodge D150, 318 auto stock; D.D.

God meant for rubber to be burnt, not for an ear of corn

Myspace
joekewl_chevyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Monojet Problems

Welcome to posting. Sorry to hear about your father and grandfather passing. It had to be hard on you and it was nice of your grandfather to pick up the pieces. I think it is great that you tackled the carburetor at such a young age. There are a lot of us who woudn't do it, now, at three and four times your age.

The linkage you mention....have you had it off at all? If you did, then I assume that you were unable to get it back on the way it had been, right? Is there a clip that fits into a hole and locks onto that link or does it have one end that has to be turned, like a key, and inserted?

I don't have a one-barrel to look at. Can you go to a parts store and look at one of theirs (assuming they have one) and compare it to yours? Maybe then you can see something that will enable you to fix yours.

Good luck.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
joekewl_chevyfreak

thanks, it has no key or anything like that, just a rod... that fits into that hole... if im making anysence. ive visited autozone and all and there all abunch or retards. bolivar is nothing but rednecks and the nearest salvage yard is closing down (it sucked in the first place) but ive got an 87 dodge that we are looking for a new gauge cluster for so when im at the better salvage yard then i will check there.

Myspace
Old 08-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Welcome to the board and glad you're fixing up the old truck. Sure looks like it's going to be a nice project. Stay focused on it even if it's a little at a time and stay tuned to this forum for any help you may need.

Here's some pics of a monojet carb I have. It looks different than what you have but as Chevloray mentioned, you may be able to get a look at one in an auto parts store or maybe a junkyard. I'll take a look at the one on my 68 GMC later and see if it's like yours.
Attached Images

68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
joekewl_chevyfreak

Wow, liking the bowtie on the carb lol. heres a few more pictures, it might be just in my best intentions to just go and buy a different cant think of the word >_<
Heres a few more pics that may be helpful, sorry for the blue and white, its on my dodges hood XD
Attached Images

Myspace
Old 08-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
joekewl_chevyfreak

few more pics
Attached Images

Myspace
Old 08-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
joekewl_chevyfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Welcome to posting. Sorry to hear about your father and grandfather passing. It had to be hard on you and it was nice of your grandfather to pick up the pieces. I think it is great that you tackled the carburetor at such a young age. There are a lot of us who woudn't do it, now, at three and four times your age.

The linkage you mention....have you had it off at all? If you did, then I assume that you were unable to get it back on the way it had been, right? Is there a clip that fits into a hole and locks onto that link or does it have one end that has to be turned, like a key, and inserted?

I don't have a one-barrel to look at. Can you go to a parts store and look at one of theirs (assuming they have one) and compare it to yours? Maybe then you can see something that will enable you to fix yours.

Good luck.

thanks, no i havent had it off, it is exactly as it was before it was rebuilt

Myspace
Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
68gmsee

Okay, I got the pic of the monojet in my GMC. It looks more like yours.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
joekewl_chevyfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Okay, I got the pic of the monojet in my GMC. It looks more like yours.
thats exactly like mine, could you do me a favor and check out that part that im having issues with? i need to know if it has anything holding that in

Myspace
Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
68gmsee

The link going to the accelerator plunger on your carb is backwards from mine. See if you can turn it around to match the picture.

Also, the link that goes to the other plunger (the one you say comes off) should have a pinched end on one side to keep it from coming out of the hole.
Look closely at the pic I sent and see the pinched part. That plunger should move up and down freely.

Basically, when the bellcrank rotates, the accelerator pump plunger moves down and the other one moves up and vice versa.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
joekewl_chevyfreak

well, heres a comparrison. i cant get a closer shot cause my cameras a piece... anyways the rod has no clip or any holes or anything whatsoever on the end, and i flipped the piece around, i did that about a week ago and it kinda got stuck ) heres a look at yours compared to mine now...
Attached Images

Myspace
Old 08-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #12
68gmsee

Okay, I guess I'm not sure what exactly is missing or which link is the one that's popping off. Is it the one going to the throttle plunger or the one right above the bellcrank?

The drawing on picture shows the link going to the round rod right above the bellcrank. It's supposed to have a nippled or pinched end so that it stays in the bellcrank. The opposite end does not have anything on it. This link is held in place by the bell crank pushing on it. In other words it sits behind, not in front of the bell crank like the pictures I sent.

Pry the bell crank off and insert the short link from the back side. Then slide it on the rod with the hole right above the screw. Leave the bell crank off until you install the throttle link and rotate it so that it goes back on the butterfly rod. Be sure and find a screw that will fit that hole. It's a fine thread screw.

I'll post another pic of it in a few minutes.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If the small rod won't pull down (I think it should pull down about 3/8 - 1/2") it means it is binding inside the carb. If it pulls down OK put everything back together and put a screw in the hole I have marked in the picture. It is a fine threaded screw.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #14
68gmsee

Here's couple more pics... The longer link is the one that goes on the throttle plunger and it has pinched nipples () on both ends. The other one has it on just one end.

Hint for your camera taking closeups. See if it has a "macro" setting like my cheapo that's about 8 yrs old. I have to remember to set it to "on" every time I use it or it won't take good closeups.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #15
joekewl_chevyfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
If the small rod won't pull down (I think it should pull down about 3/8 - 1/2") it means it is binding inside the carb. If it pulls down OK put everything back together and put a screw in the hole I have marked in the picture. It is a fine threaded screw.

LockDoc
Okay, it moves completely freely, i have the exact screw for it and yes, in that picture some things are turned around but thanks, i do have pictures of inside the float bowl of all the workings, everything is in perfect condition. the only problem with it is that the plunger thing that goes up when u hit the throttle the rod that connects to it will not stay in, it has no pin or anything either

Myspace
Old 08-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #16
joekewl_chevyfreak

Quote:
Here's couple more pics... The longer link is the one that goes on the throttle plunger and it has pinched nipples () on both ends. The other one has it on just one end.

Hint for your camera taking closeups. See if it has a "macro" setting like my cheapo that's about 8 yrs old. I have to remember to set it to "on" every time I use it or it won't take good closeups.
Thanks for the macro tip! -its still a piece tho but the first picture that you posted recently is exactly the same as mine, it has nothing on that one side and the puzzler is i didnt even touch the throttle or anything as far as adjusting it, its the same exact way it was 40 years ago...

Myspace
Old 08-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #17
joekewl_chevyfreak

Quote:

Attached Images

Myspace
Old 08-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
68gmsee

Quote:
............ It's supposed to have a nippled or pinched end so that it stays in the bellcrank. The opposite end does not have anything on it. This link is held in place by the bell crank pushing on it. In other words it sits behind, not in front of the bell crank like the pictures I sent.............
This is from my previous post above...
Old 08-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #19
joekewl_chevyfreak

Quote:
This is from my previous post above...
I understand, i have had it installed exactly correct, the bellcrank or whatever does not hold it in place, it has too much lee-way and comes out, and i did not adjust anything or even remove the throttle rod thing when i rebuilt it
Once when i did go to autozone, the employees did not help at all what so ever, but a guy came in with an alternater in his hand and had a dip in so kindaa hard to understand him but he suggested i find a high tention spring on the opposite end of the throttle rod, holding it closer to the carberator. I have thought about doing this but i found that even that would not help, Perhaps i can just bend the rod a little bit even though i have attemted this before, its a Chevrolet product, so it aint gonna bend

Myspace
Old 08-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #20
68gmsee

Re: bending (forming) it. I'd go for it. Can't be any worse than it is now.

Put it in a vise and tap it with a hammer on the end to give it more of an angle. I would do it just enought to keep it from coming out.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #21
Wrenchbender Ret

I agree with 68GMC. Ive bent plenty of them in so they stay in the hole.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #22
joekewl_chevyfreak

I Think I'll do that, thanks all for the help, ill have to wait a day or two, my vises are at my gramps' with the truck I'll give ya'll an update asap

Myspace
Old 08-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #23
joekewl_chevyfreak

Hey yall, my computer is screwin up so i have to find a disk and all for the internet so ill be on in a while. i got it fixed and ill give more details later when i can get on

Myspace