The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #1

Rubber or poly bushings..

Was in the process of ordering polyurethane front end bushings (73 front crossmember) when my father said "Your crazy to put those hard things up their. If you like squeaks, go ahead." Anybody having any failures, etc?
Jay
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Re: Rubber or poly bushings..

Just got finished swapping body mounts on my blazer and more than anything I love the way they look. I also helped a friend swap his mounts for the poly's and not a creak or squeak to be heard. I say go poly, they last forever and look great!

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Poly!!

While we are on the subject, can anyone tell me if there is a company who sells complete poly bushing sets for our Trucks?
Is that what you have in your pic Jtrux?.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger

Last edited by eightbanger; 08-30-2008 at 07:17 AM.
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I`ve had poly spring eye bushing crak up to the point that my whole front axles would rack when turning the wheels.The truck wondered and I went through everything in my steering before realizing the bushings were shot.
Alot of people will give the same advise your father did.It makes for a more rigid mount which can be good or bad.Depends on which application and use.I never had a problem with factory other than too many decades of good service.Poly came out for offroad application and has spread into all types of uses.The word "harsh" comes up when talking poly vs oem.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
70cst

Curt who is doing my restoration said he will only use rubber bushings...Some but not all poly bushings have a tendency to "squeak" and I am not willing to gamble and have this issue pop up after the cab and bed are back on the truck. The idea of a little squeak here and a little squeak there just doesn't appeal to me. But others have used poly bushongs w/o any squeak issues. It comes down to if you want to roll the bdice. JMHO Good Luck!

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Thanks for the flip side on that Tim, I would advicate Poly only on the basis that it is the latest material for this app and therefore is supposedly an advancement, not on any greater personal knowleadge. So you have given me something to think about.
Thanks mate.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I'm also planning on doing mine so I have heard and read about the differences over the last year. The above posts are all true, but, from what I have found out, no one has had ploly for 10 years or longer--that I'm aware of.

I do like the idea of newer materials since they are the latest in technology. However, there's no way they can replicate 20 or more years of normal use.

Personally, I'm leaning to the tried and true rubber ones. I've had mine for 40 years and probably lasted for 20 good years before showing signs of wear.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Look for Poly-graphite" bushings if you want the best of both worlds. They have improved pure polyurethane bushing by impregnating graphite in the blend. This allow the durability of polyurethane without the well know squeaking. The graphite acts as a lubricant as the bushing wear, and prevents them from become hard.

New technology is amazing...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #9

Thanks for all the posts. After considering that this will be a DD, I went with rubber, mostly because the parts house had them all in stock and that after 38 years of dealing with my dad, somewhere I finally learned he's usually right. That being said, I would like to try them on my next project. "Polygraphite" sounds like a win win.
Jay
P.S. Just had a baby boy tonight, Jackson Dale. 9lbs, 10ozs. Maybe It will only take him 37 years!

Last edited by 5150.4.67; 09-01-2008 at 06:33 AM.
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Speaking of new technology...do new vehicles now use poly bushings?I`m not totally against poly bushings,and I`d only use Poly graphite,BTW.But think of what a bushing`s purpose is.They are designed to give flex where it is needed.So,if you use motor/trans poly bushings you will be putting more stress on the frame and mounts than designed for.Not saying you`ll crack your frame.Just adding a stiffer link in the chain,If it`s a race vehicle where every edge to improve handling is essential,they`re the way to go.You don`t mind giving up comfort to gain handling.Race tracks are keep pretty dang smooth,too.You need to ask yourself what you want to trade off on your street vehicle.I wouldn`t use the "lasts longer" school of thought,unless you`ve seen poly last as long as original rubber.It`s like when I went for a vent stack boot for my roof and the guy plops a plactic one on the counter.I said,"Don`t you have the galvanized ones?"The guy says,"These will last forever".My answer?"Well,we don`t know that,yet."

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Maybe this was mentioned and I read over it but someone posted in another thread about more road vibrations transferring through the poly bushings to the passenger compartment. Stands to reason since the poly's are more firm.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
69TowRig

The only crap that squeaks on my Nissan that I offroad are the upper control arms w/poly bushings and the rear springs w/poly bushings. I grease the crap out of them and the squeaks always come back.

I look at it this way. If the rubber bushings held up this long, why not use rubber again? Poly has a tendency to crack instead of wearing, especially when really cold, this is another point to mention.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #13
WyoRoadDog
Page intentionally left blank.

A thing to note in particular with Energy Suspension stuff is that the black are graphite impregnated, and the red are not. I'm using them on my 4x build, and was going black any way, but it's a consideration if deciding between the colors.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams

'67 GMC 4x4, 305 V6! Or all the parts for anyway...
'17 Subaru Outback.
'18 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road.
'99 Ducati 900SS.
WyoRoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoRoadDog View Post
A thing to note in particular with Energy Suspension stuff is that the black are graphite impregnated, and the red are not. I'm using them on my 4x build, and was going black any way, but it's a consideration if deciding between the colors.
I was going to mention that.. I talked to Energy Suspension when I had issues with mine. They also sent me a tub of their grease as well...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote