The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
Trifelynn

Help with suspension decision...

So, I called up ECE this morning, to ask them about their center crossmember for extreme drops. I called to ask if it would fit on a 71 blazer, since it calls for pickups with one-piece drivelines. I started talking to the man(very nice, I must add) and he started telling me how "bags" aren't really everything people crack them up to be. They are nowhere as sturdy as his springs. He said that if you have a T at the front and the back, to fill the front and rear bags, when you go around a corner the air can shift between the front/rear bags. So, I am back to square one with a suspension decision. Here is what I am looking for, and maybe you guys can help me. I want to be as low as possible, but I also want a good ride. Another thing that I was contemplating was what kind of custom body work so that if I get bags, I can let all the air out. For example, what are people doing with the rear fender wells? What are they doing with the front inner fenders? I mean, I eventually want to run 20's but...if I have to cut up the body, I don't know that I want it. I am looking for a stock/custom rig. Anyways, any help from some people that have done this that could help me make my decision, would be great...

thanks in advance...

Lenny
Old 10-13-2004, 03:59 PM   #2
smokekiki
Mike

Bags are plenty strong,as long as they don't rub on anything or get stretched beyond thier limits.I delivered heavy equipment all over the USA with a Tractor and a lowboy that where both on air bags,plus 90% of all other owner/Operator trucks are on air.If You are worried about air transfer and are not running valves and compressor,run a seperate fill for each bag.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
....started talking to the man(very nice, I must add) and he started telling me how "bags" aren't really everything people crack them up to be. They are nowhere as sturdy as his springs.
True, bags aren't as 'sturdy' as any spring (his or not), but they are just as strong & can be adjusted to compensate for loads.

Quote:
....He said that if you have a T at the front and the back, to fill the front and rear bags, when you go around a corner the air can shift between the front/rear bags.
True. The simple fix is don't 'T' the air supply lines. Run individual lines (or solenoids) to each wheel/bag.

Quote:
....I want to be as low as possible, but I also want a good ride.
Easily achieved w/bags or springs when using dropped spindles.

Quote:
....what kind of custom body work so that if I get bags, I can let all the air out. For example, what are people doing with the rear fender wells? What are they doing with the front inner fenders?
Custom mods aren't necessary but w/o some mods, you'll be limited as to how low you can go when you 'air it out'. These trucks will go pretty dang low up front w/o body mods but wheelwell clearance will be dependent on wheel/tire size & back-spacing. Out back a c-section should definitely be considered or you can't get any lower than what the stock framerails will allow. Once you have the c-section, the rear center section will be very close to the bedfloor when 'aired out'. A big step notch & removal of the bedfloor directly above the housing will be required before you have to worry about the rear fenderwells on a fleetside unless your running a tire taller than 31-32" & of course back-spacing is important here as well.

And as always. . .... there's more than 1 way to do things right.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote