The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
gripnrip
Gripnrip

Any Ideas?

I'm hoping for some help and ideas for this build. Here's what I've got, a 67 chev shorty stepside that I would like to update with disc brakes, power steering with tilt, between the bed rails gas tank, and automatic with overdrive. So here's the options. I can pick up several different vehicles in the neighborhood for under $500 apiece, I just need to decide which one would be the best for my application. One is an 89 suburban 4x4 1/2 ton 6 lug with automatic and tilt, 2 is a 78 chev 1/2 ton shorty standard tranny, 3 is a 90 chevy van with a 350 automatic, 4 is a75 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. So with these options what ideas do are out there. By the way I want to put the stock 230 or a 292 from one of my other trucks in this builder so the engines in the options listed above isn't too important. My biggest question is how hard is it to adapt my 67 body to a 73-79 style frame and running gear? Thanks for any help and ideas. I'll try and attach a few pics of the project.
gripnrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
mclairmo

Re: Any Ideas?

Honestly, I would not purchase any of the other vehicles as making them adapt to your 67 would be too much work for me. I also would not swap frames, too much work. The work you want to do to your truck has already been scoped out by others and there are kits for all that available to make it easy on you. I would go the easiest way, but that's just me.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

I wouldn't do it. That's just me. I want mine to be all from the same time period. Plus it's to much work to make it fit.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
big_al_71

I would not do it either....If the truck is that bad I would find one in better condition even if it meant to wait a little...
Good luck!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You may want to read thru the truck FAQ's and see that there are few parts on the 4X4 trucks that you will be able to use(unless you're going 4X4).The 78 will give you power disc brakes and steering but little else will be useful.Swapping frames is more work than updating the original(in my opinion).And most of the rest would maybe net you a tranny and interior stuff(if it's in good shape,and mostly just seats at that).
You would probably be money ahead to just build what you want from the suppliers and parts board here.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
BP68

I was gonna do something like this, especially the 89 suburban tilt, but I came across a wrecked 72. And now I am glad I used correct parts. They fit without major mods. You will prob find plenty of other things to fab up. But I would use as much correct or bolt on stuff as possible.

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
gripnrip
Gripnrip

Thanks for the info, it sounds like a lot of fabbing. I guess the best thing I could do would be to find a wrecked 71 or 72 to use. The ps is easy enough to do, I already have a pump and gearbox , the problem is the mounting brackets for the pump to a 292. The tranny has to be an automatic with an overdrive, any suggestions? Again, it's going to be with a 292. I would like disc brakes but maybe the drums with a booster would be sufficient, and I don't know if there are any advantages of having a 5 lug setup over 6 lug.
My neighbor who has done numerous restorations on these era trucks has just about got me talked into buying the van to use as the starting base, now I know this sounds like he may be playing a joke on me but I've seen some of his work which includes a supercab 69 fitted to a 1990's vintage cummins diesel frame and all, as well as several blazer to shorty truck conversions. So,,,,,,,,,,,we'll see. Thanks for the advice. I there is anyone out there who has tried one of these off the wall conversions I'm anxiously awaiting your input. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
gripnrip
Gripnrip

By the way, nice build threads.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

On the 5 lug or 6 ? The 5 lug has a few more options for wheels but that is changing.Later model wheels are of different backspacing and original ones will not fit over disc.
292 PS pump brackets are rare.None made except for trucks.The 250 ones camee in cars also.Also the brackets must be off of a motor comparable to yours.For instance an integral head bracket will have to modified to fit a non-integral head motor.
Going to disc is a nice touch but really doesn't stop much better except for stop and go stuff(less fade).
I like the 700R4 for OD but the 200R4 is also a choice.The set-up for a OD is of prime importance,since they will burn up fast if the cable is mis adjusted.The main thing to do on OD is decide how the truck will be used and price the tranny build for that use to decide which will be best for your use.Remember that rear end gearing may need to be changed to get optimum performance out of the tranny.
The biggest money saver on a project is to come up with a plan so you don't have to redo stuff to work with the next step.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 07-25-2009 at 12:51 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
gripnrip
Gripnrip

Thanks panelD. I think I can get by with drums and a booster for brakes and I'm not too picky on wheels so the six lug setup the truck already has can be used. Power steering is covered with a pump and box that I already have (although finding the 292 bracket might be hard). What is an integral head bracket vs. non integral? Also, what are the differences between the 700r4 and the 200r4? The truck in the end will be need to be able to get around town comfortably and still do 75 mph easily. I've owned 10 or 12 of these trucks in the past and they were all geared too low for my liking, I virtually never used 1st gear in the standards. This applies primarily to the 2 wheel drives but I even felt the 4x4's I've owned were too low geared. I want to be able to drink a beverage, listen to tunes, and cruise in comfort in this rig.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripnrip View Post
I want to be able to drink a beverage, listen to tunes, and cruise in comfort in this rig.
That's exactly what I want to do. With lots of horsepower too of course.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote