The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2003, 03:16 PM   #1
tallpaul_TX

Post New guy with a TON of questions

Before I get to my questions, I just wanted to say that this is my first post. I have been lurking on this board for the past few months educating myself for my first classic truck purchase, and this is by far the most informative and helpful board that I have found. You guys are great!! Allow me to apologize in advance for the long post...

Anyway...Enough of this touchy-feely stuff

I have found what is billed as a 1972 Super Cheyenne for sale at a local classic car lot. At first glance, it does appear to be a Super Cheyenne. The exterior has all the fender badges and upper/lower body moldings for a Super. However, the wood grained interior does NOT look like I would expect the trim to look. It is ACTUAL wood, and the stain and varnish finish is a little lighter than what I have seen in pictures. There is also an emblem about the size of a dime on the wood on the gauge cluster that say "American Wood Products" (or something to that effect). Also, the Super Cheyenne emblem is missing from the glove box. Was the wood trim on a real Super actual wood, or just synthetic stuff made to look like wood, and is that emblem common?

The thing that tipped me off is the option code I found in the glove box, Z84. I think Z84 is for the Cheyenne package only, and there is a different code for a Super Cheyenne (YE9 or something). Is this correct?

Another code I am curious about is B85 for body side molding. Is this a code for just lower molding, upper molding, or both. I am thinking that if since they added the wood trim inside, then they may have added some extra body trim outside to make it look like a Super.

This truck has bucket seats with a center console that match the color and the age of the truck. Could buckets be optioned seperately from the Cheyenne or Super Cheyenne packages? If so what is the option code I should look for.

All the other option codes seem to match the truck. The paint code is correct (542), there are extra guages for Tach/Oil/Temp/battery that match the option codes. It is a 350 with a TH400 (M49). PS, PB, AC (not working).

(EDIT) It is a shortbed fleetside...

Odometer reads 47,450 miles.

How can I tell if the motor is original and numbers matching? Where do I find the block codes? And are there any other cowl tags or plates to look for for codes/model numbers, etc.??

Either way it is still a nicely optioned Cheyenne with a little custom wood work done on the interior (which looks INCREDIBLE by the way).

Is there a website or a book that you guys would recommend for looking up option codes?

The paint looks original and is in good condition. Where do I look for tell-tale signs of rust? The bed is a little rough, but no rust holes. The rockers look in good shape. Should I remove the carpet around the edge to inspect it furter?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance, guys!!!

Paul

Last edited by tallpaul_TX; 12-30-2003 at 03:24 PM.
tallpaul_TX is offline   Reply With Quote