The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Bromax

low budget build 69

Hello to all,

got a 69 and im looking to put a 68 front clip on it. I also thought about putting spindles from a 73 or newer on it to install disc brakes, with a 2 inch coil drop in the front and a 3 or 4 inch coil drop in the rear. I understand I will have to use 73 or newer front steering parts to complete the spindle/disc swap. I am looking for input on these choices. I do not have the cash to buy all new and am digging in junk yards for parts..I also would like to know if drooping the truck 2 inches in the front and 4 in the back what would be the best tire/rim to fit under and allow the clearance for ride and steering. Keeping in mind the newer disc brakes will probably be 14 inch..I have just removed all the body parts from the frame and have started cleaning/sanding/painting the frame..by hand..shew..This is also a six lug and to avoid over complicating i would like to keep the six lug set up...with that all in mind amd I on the right track to lower and modify the front brakes....any advice is great..thanks...
Bromax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
bonnieclyde100

Re: low budget build 69

i did the front disk brake conversion from the junk yard also and purchased my rotors for 6 lug from LMC truck. i got lower springs but i dont remember where i got them from. but it sounds like you are on the right track. you will need all the steering components from th junk yard also but use your original Pittman arm and idler arm. i cant remember if i reused old tie rod or not so keep old one just in case but you will need newer tie rod ends. you will need newer model upper and lower ball joints ( but best to buy new ones) to hook to your spindles also.
bonnieclyde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Bromax

BC...Thanks for the input....I see your in Bama too...have a good one.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
CC69Rat

Welcome to the forum from TN.

I have a 69 that I have swapped in the whole front KMember from an 84. This will give you a better ride (the upper and lower A-Arm geometry was also improved over the 67-72 style) It's almost just as easy to just swap one for the other. This gives you 1.25" thick rotors too. Once you lower it, just get your spindles for 73-87, and you can also get more parts cheaper and more readily available at local parts stores this way. Easy 5 lug conversion too.

On the front clip, the easiest way is to find the entire front clip to swap over. Your truck being a 69, you're going to have rear marker lights in your bed. So, that leaves you with a single year Chevy fender to find. (not easy, especially the passenger side)

Fenders:
67 GMC and 67 Chevy are the same (no side marker light holes)
68 Chevy and 68-72 GMC are the same (side markers)
69-72 Chevy are the same, but MUCH different than the prior year.

To swap the to the pre 68 Chevy front end is a big challenge. The core support, front splash apron, hood latch, hood latch brace, of course fenders and hood are different. On occasion you'll find a whole truck (maybe part one out?) and just get the clip off of it.

Look for fenders off the west coast, as little rust as you can find. I have an extra driver's side 68 GMC fender I would sell if you have trouble finding one. It's decent but has some pin holes around the bottom edge (could be fixed) I was practicing painting on it. ..

Let me know if I can help you man. I know where a bunch of these parts trucks are.
Later.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Bromax

CC69Rat..

Thanks for the info....I follow you on the front suspension and think that is the best route...and cheaper to maintain. I have a step side with the spare tire fender on the driver side...I will stick with this since its original and I dont se anyone else doin it...everyone wants to go fleetside..I definetly want to go with the 68 front clip on it ..its alot more appealing than the blunt look of the 69...I just wanted to make sure that it is a fit for the 69 cab prior to hunting and investing..right now due to no funds I am spending my time breaking down the frame/suspension and prep and painting the frame and then I will build up as I get the funds..appreciate the advise..