The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
lenguini

Performance repl.Sealed beam headlights

I'm looking for input here on drop in higher wattage "QUALITY" sealed beam headights.I have been all over the net ..and once again no further ahead than when I started.

I dont want to use anything other than use the 7" 3 prong plug sealed beam headlamp with higher wattage in a good quality product.

If its an option I would Perfer a 60w low and 90w high for a single lamp system for my 65.The harness is being replaced and will accomidate the extra draw so that wont be an issue.

If you have a solution for me and have actually tried something that you can recommend....It would be appreciated.

My build thread-project truck dream 65"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510863
lenguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
theastronaut

Re: Performance repl.Sealed beam headlights

You won't find a higher wattage/performance sealed beam, other than a Sylvania Silverstar which aren't that great. We had Silverstar sealed beams in our '97 S10 and while they were a little better than stock, they weren't worth the time or money spent.

You can get 7" round housings that accept H4 bulbs that are higher wattage. H4's have the same 3 prong plug as sealed beams so it's a direct swap. I have Cibie H4's in my daily driver and they're extremely nice lights. They have a very wide low beam pattern with a sharp cut-off that keeps glare to a minimum. The high beams are very center-focused for a ton of long distance visibility. I have a relay harness and 80/100W bulbs.

Cibie's are available from Daniel Stern Lighting. Scroll down the menu a bit to find the 7" version.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p...ducts.html#Buy

We ditched the Sliverstars in the S10 and bought e-code Hella H4's, a relay harness, and 80/100W bulbs. The low beam is great, but the high's are aimed just a little higher than they should be. Seems to be the only drawback to Hella's, and it's not a big deal. The high beam is more of a spread than the Cibie's so there is less distance visibility when comparing the two. It's still plenty of light to drive at 65-70 mph at night.

Cibie, Hella, Marchal, or Bosch H4's will all give way better performance than any sealed beam will. If the bulb burns out you just replace it and keep the housing. All of them have fluted lenses so they don't look out of place on an older car- no funky clear lens or modern projector styling. The best deal I've found is Hella H4's for $70 a pair from Bus Depot. They sell the bulbs separately so you can pick your wattage.

http://www.busdepot.com/0301600118

These are my Cibie's.

Hella 7" H4's.

Night pics with the Cibie's, this is low beam. Very wide and even lighting with a very bright hot spot in the center, and a sharp cut-off to keep light below eye level for oncoming traffic.

'06 Trailblazer SS headlights on the left, my Cibie lights on the right. The hot spot is much brighter, with no more glare than the factory GM lights.

Hella's, also low beams. Also have a very sharp cut-off for less glare. These have less upward lighting/glare than both the original sealed beams or the Silverstar sealed beams.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
lenguini

Thank you,this is exactly what I was looking for.Looks like I should reconsider and look at the Bosch or Hella with replaceable bulbs.

I would like to question the clearance we have to work with on our trucks behind the headlight bucket...,is there enough with out any mods?

Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
theastronaut

Not sure about clearance, only running them in my '64 VW so far since the truck is torn apart. I'll grab a headlight bucket and check tomorrow with my spare set of Cibie's. They do have a large rubber dust boot over the bulb that may interfere.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
forestb

I got a set of hella's and they have little mettle brackets on the back of the outer rim I think I will have to cut them off. Also they don't have the little nubs on the back that locate them in the bucket.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
lenguini

Leaning toward to Hella or Bosch,price is right.I appreciate you checking the clearance.This is the only real concern now.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
lenguini

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I got a set of hella's and they have little mettle brackets on the back of the outer rim I think I will have to cut them off. Also they don't have the little nubs on the back that locate them in the bucket.
Are you using 2 or 4 headlights? If 2 do you have a part number and pic of these you could post here ?

Thanks.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #8
NEWFISHER

I have run Hella H4s in several cars and trucks and they are awesome. My 65 came with an Ebay copy and they work well but feel like plastic even though they are glass. The Hellas are good quality and have been around for ever
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #9
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguini View Post
Are you using 2 or 4 headlights? If 2 do you have a part number and pic of these you could post here ?

Thanks.
I am using 2 headlights and here a screen shot of the Amazon page.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2014, 03:04 AM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I’m running the Hella H4’s on my 1960 GMC with the 4 lamp grille. I assume there is clearance in the back of the 2 lamp system, as there was plenty on my truck. The only modification I had to make was cutting the rubber covers in the center as they kept pushing the connectors off the terminals.

The modification can be seen on post 855 (page 35) of my build thread.

The only improvement I ever found with sealed beams was stepping up to Halogen units. The downside is they burn out faster than any other lamp on the market. I still use them on my high beams as they aren't used frequently, but I went back to standard sealed low beams (before switching to H4s) because I got tired of replacing them every few weeks (I drive with my lights on all the time).

Last edited by markeb01; 01-17-2014 at 01:08 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
brokenspoke

Add head light relays ...I was suprised at the result
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
Snailed

Running 10 or 12G right from the battery is a HUGE upgrade even with cheapy 7" Wagner sealed beams.

On my truck I use Autopal 7" H4 glass housings and untinted Hella 80/100w bulbs. They work really well and look closer to an old style light than the Hella H4 when off I think. The sharp horizontal cutoff makes the 80w low beams glare free and really lights up the road. I would probably try 2 of the Bosch 7" Motorcycle ones if I did this again, just out of curiosity.

These are the housings I used; http://www.ebay.com/itm/261291289597...84.m1423.l2649
Old 01-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
theastronaut

Make sure you get "e-code" Hella's instead of the DOT version. The E-codes have a far superior beam pattern with less glare on low beams. My grill is at the house and my lights are at work; I'll take a bulb home and see if it fits in the bucket tonight and post what I find.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Make sure you get "e-code" Hella's instead of the DOT version. The E-codes have a far superior beam pattern with less glare on low beams. My grill is at the house and my lights are at work; I'll take a bulb home and see if it fits in the bucket tonight and post what I find.
How do you tell if they are e code or dot. The Amazon description does not seem to say.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #15
theastronaut

Quote:
How do you tell if they are e code or dot. The Amazon description does not seem to say.
The Amazon link posted above says its for the sae/DOT version, though the pic is showing an e-code. Best to go by the description, they probably don't know that the pic is wrong. Google the part number to make sure though. The e-code lens has a wedge shape pattern on the right side lens fluting at 3-4 o'clock. DOT version has an all straight fluting pattern.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #16
Snailed

There are right and left E code patterns too depending on which side of the road you are driving on.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #17
TR65

Add my vote for the Hella E-Code H4's. They are really bright.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=397695

They fit perfect without modification.

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #18
forestb

Quote:
The Amazon link posted above says its for the sae/DOT version, though the pic is showing an e-code. Best to go by the description, they probably don't know that the pic is wrong. Google the part number to make sure though. The e-code lens has a wedge shape pattern on the right side lens fluting at 3-4 o'clock. DOT version has an all straight fluting pattern.
From your description they sent me the e-code version. They have the little wedge shape on the right hand side.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:10 AM   #19
theastronaut

Cibie H4's fit without mods. The dust boot is barely pressed against the bucket but not tightly enough to be an issue.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:08 AM   #20
lenguini

Quote:
Cibie H4's fit without mods. The dust boot is barely pressed against the bucket but not tightly enough to be an issue.

Can you take a depth measurement of the unit without the bucket...,then I can compare it to the Hella and Bosch.Take from inside edge of housing where it rests in the bucket to end of the plug.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #21
forestb

My worry is this little bracket. Do these get in the way? Also the instructions for mine make it seem like they are meant for use on a motorcycle. Does that make a difference?
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #22
theastronaut

Quote:
My worry is this little bracket. Do these get in the way? Also the instructions for mine make it seem like they are meant for use on a motorcycle. Does that make a difference?
2 7/8" from the mounting surface to the end of the boot. Boot diameter is 2 3/16". You can always open up the hole in the bucket if the boot is larger.

Those brackets are what keeps the headlight from rotating in the bucket, they're molded into sealed beams so they're not as noticeable. Cibie brackets fit into the bucket just like sealed beams do, don't have a set of Hella's or Bosch lights to check.

From what I've seen with Bosch lights (others may be the same?), motorcycle lights don't have the glare shield built in that covers the front of the bulb since they're prone to fatigue and break loose from shaking. Cars don't shake/vibrate as much so they don't have that problem.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #23
Rogue 64
Ol' Blue Viking

I have Hella E-codes in all my vehicles, for my truck I have E-codes w/city lights.
I do have Cibies in a car too.
I also Run relays as well.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:19 AM   #24
lenguini

Quote:
2 7/8" from the mounting surface to the end of the boot. Boot diameter is 2 3/16". You can always open up the hole in the bucket if the boot is larger.

Those brackets are what keeps the headlight from rotating in the bucket, they're molded into sealed beams so they're not as noticeable. Cibie brackets fit into the bucket just like sealed beams do, don't have a set of Hella's or Bosch lights to check.

From what I've seen with Bosch lights (others may be the same?), motorcycle lights don't have the glare shield built in that covers the front of the bulb since they're prone to fatigue and break loose from shaking. Cars don't shake/vibrate as much so they don't have that problem.
Many thanks for your efforts,I appreciate it.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #25
Brad54

For me, this could be the most useful thread I've ever read here! This is fantastic, and I'll be using it when I rebuild the front of my truck after the Bambi Attack took it out.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote