The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Exclamation Distributor Experts, HELP PLEASE!!!

I think I found my problem, but would like to run it past you all before I go any further.

I have a '69 C-10 with a bone stock 350 running a points ignition.
new plugs gapped to .035"
distributor cap and rotor look good
points gapped. new coil and plug wires
no arcing when the lights are out
fresh gas, new inline fuel filter
carb is a fairly new 1405 Edelbrock with manual choke
choke is closing

it starts like a champ, and idles up to 1000rpm, but when I try to increase the rpm, it starts to stutter severly. when I kept the foot in it to "see" if it cleared out, I da#n near blew my Flowmasters apart. so there is major gas dumping straight into the exhaust. I haven't timed it, but will tomorrow.

so tonight on a thought, I check the vacuum advance. I hook up suction to the vacuum unit. it would not hold vacuum and it didn't move the advance plate any. so I take it out and tear it apart and sure enough, the vacuum unit's diaphram is split.

now....... other than timing, would a trashed vacuum advance cause my symptoms? anything else I'm missing that obvious? I don't think I have a sticking valve, but I guess I should do a compression check.

other than "natural causes", why would a vacuum advance go South?

need help guys, bigtime

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 11-23-2008 at 10:15 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Distributor Experts, HELP PLEASE!!!

40 Year old rubber.Would you expect 40 year old tires to hold air?There may be other things to cause one to go bad but all things considered that would be my guess.If you're going to replace it you may want to consider upgrading to a HEI.It wont cost much more and will help the truck run better.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

well, rubber in a wallet lasts...... but I digress. your right, I can imagine the vacuum advance unit is all of 40 years old. but I was wondering if I did "something" wrong to cause it to tear.

yep, I plan on going Pertronix after the holidays. a friend of mine installed the Petronix system on his '66 GTO and is extremely happy.

but I would like to get this mess figured out before I go any further with my upgrades....

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 11-23-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Green Machine

If you can set the points with a dwell meter that is best. Gapping can be tricky if there is wear in the distributor. 28-32 deg is the spec. I suspect the points are not set right. I usually adjust to 28, as they wear they get closer to the 30-32, then re-adjust back to 28. If the distributor is really worn, it may not fire right or at all on some cylinders. Dwell meter needle swinging back and forth alot indicates distributor wear. HEI of course is better, but a good points setup will light the fire OK too.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
Boog
laying low

Doug make sure the mechanical advance is free also. You know by twisting the rotor it should rotate a bit then spring back. Sometimes the mech advance will seize up also causing like symptoms. Maybe a good time to remove the dist and break it all down and give it a good cleaning. Could save having to go back in later.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Boog,
The mechanical advance rotated and sprung back freely without any bind. that was one of the first things I tried.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Has it run good up until now? A bad vacuum advance and timing can certainly affect the way it runs. As you know, the vacuum advance is disconnected while timing and I have revved mine up in the past but I don't get the symptoms you describe.

You mentioned it is throwing a lot of gas into the carb while it's missing out.
It's possible that your carb may be flooding the engine or you are sucking in air from somewhere. I just fought that on my 68. I had a leaking base gasket on my carb and it would start missing at around 65 mph.

I've also seen where a worn cam (flat lobes) will cause you grief at higher speeds. Bad valves usually are more noticeable at the lower rpms than at the higher rpms.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:12 AM   #8
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

I found this site to be alot of help when I was troubleshooting my ignition awhile back. http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...e/ignition.htm
Old 11-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #9
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Thanks Rob, I'll check the site out.

still thinking it's the vac unit. heading to NAPA tonight.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
1restorick

Just a thought, years ago I had a Corvair that after winter storage started to run bad. It would start and idle fine but at certain speeds it would stumble and when I would let off of the gas at any RPM, it would backfire in the mufflers. After lots of troubleshooting, I found that when the vacuum advance would pull on the breaker plate, it would cause the points to mis-align. The primary cause was a low quality point set. The secondary cause was that the breaker plate was beginning to bind up on the bearing surface and needed lubrication. I would make sure the the point set is up to snuff and that the breaker plate moves freely. Best of luck.

Rick
1restorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

This guy sells brand new HEI distributors on E-Bay. Several of the members have bought one and most have been very happy with them. You will pay more for the pertronics unit than $60. You will have to buy HEI wires also.
http://stores.ebay.com/whiteperformance1

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 11-24-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: sp
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
This guy sells brand new HEI distributors on E-Bay. Several of the members have gotten on and most have been very happy wirth them. You will pay more for the pertronics unit than $60.
http://stores.ebay.com/whiteperformance1
Plus you might want to rebuild your old points dizzy with new bushings etc. = more $$$
Old 11-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
70rs/ss

I have two of them and paid $50 each, the pertronix isn't any better than an hei, especially if the dist is old, worn shaft,/bushings, etc. Get an hei.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

great point fellas. if my dizzy is crap now, it will be crap with a Pertronix or any other pointless ignition.

food for thought......

Old 11-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Would you expect 40 year old tires to hold air?
I know some 40 year old guys who are still full of air, hot air that is...LOL

Don

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 11-24-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

That would be me Richard but I digress. I do know a guy who replaced a timing chain and did points at the same time.He could not get the car to start.It took about 2 minutes for a competent mechanic to tell him to get rid of the cheap points and use something worthwhile.New points and it started right up.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #17
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

I hate to even write this, but I think my freakin' 4 month old plug wires are bad, or at least one. out of curiosity, I checked each wire with the trusty ohm meter tonight. 7 out of 8 test out, but one would not. I checked for arcing, but I never had someone increase the rpms while I watch or arcing; it was only at idle.

but on another note, I installed a new rotor, dizzy cap, and vac advance. probably didn't need to, but what the.....

new plug wires ths weekend. to be continued.....

Last edited by tcb-1; 11-24-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #18
chipflyer

Hi Doug,
To answer your original question, no I don't believe the vacuum advance is causing your issue. I KNOW I drove mine around for a couple months when it wouldn't hold a vacuum and didn't have your symptoms but did use a lot of gas out on the road. Did you check your wires to make sure they are in the right order on the cap? I had 2 wires switched one time and had the exact same issue you are seeing, it would start and idle great but when I hit the gas, bang!
Just a thought.

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #19
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Jeff,
the more I think about it, the more I think you have something there.

my truck did the same think you described. terrible highway gas mileage, but it would run.

now it idles, but will not increase rpm. but since it idles, that would mean that the plug wires are in the correct locations? which leads me back to faulty wires.

hmmmmmm. this sucks.

I may have to go back to motorcycle restorations. I could always figure those thngs out

Old 11-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #20
chipflyer

Quote:
I may have to go back to motorcycle restorations. I could always figure those thngs out

Don't give up to quick Doug, it just takes fuel, compression and spark!
Whenever I need to remove my HEI cap I always pull a couple wires to allow me to easily lay the cap to one side. I actually did this once and when I put the cap back on I had 2 wires switched but it fired up and idled ok but upon accelerating It backfired bad.
This could be the issue if you had the cap or wires off but if it just started out of the blue, without you touching the dizzy, well, nevermind!

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:26 AM   #21
Jokers69

I'm pretty sure you have a bad condenser. I was just working on a 61 tempest with the exact same problem and it was the condenser.
Jokers69 is offline   Reply With Quote