The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
ChadGiles70

Adjusting a drag link?

I am having some problems with my steering. I can only turn 33% to the right before the steering hits hard but when I turn it to the left it will go all the way and then it will bounce like it wants to go more. I disconnected the shock on the front to see if that was the problem but its still the same. Has anyone had this problem and is the solution just to adjust the drag link?
ChadGiles70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
SeventyOne

Re: Adjusting a drag link?

I think this is a common problem on lifted blazers that don't have a drop pitman/raised steering arm - are you lifted?
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
ChadGiles70

I put a 4 inch lift on the blazer and I also put on a a raised steering arm. I never drove the blazer before I lifted it so I dont know if this was a problem before. I've been slowly restoring the blazer.
ChadGiles70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
SeventyOne

Maybe the draglink (between the pitman and knuckle axle arm is the draglink right?) is too long so you're getting more right turn than left?
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
pound41

search some other posts. I bought a 70 that someone had swaped a newer front end into since 70's were drum. I only drove it a few months before i took it off the road to fix the floorpans. Anyway I swore to my Dad that in a parking lot going into a space one way it turned great the other way my GMC 2500HD Extended cab went in easier. Anyway in the time it has been off the road I saw a thread where someone was saying that the bend of the arm can't remember which one steering box or pitman from a 70 drum was different from a newer front end and it would do that if you didn't put the newer one on
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
cleszkie

This may sound stupid, but disconnect your steering box from the drag link and make sure your steering wheel is centered (same amount of turns to stop each direction) before you reconnect it. Sounds like you have a couple of turns in the wheel already when you put it together last time.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote