The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
bjIII

Air Bag questions??

Main question is can you have a big block on bags yes that is probably a stupid question I just want to know... Extra weight?? I don't know...

Second... How safe are bags? Is there a chance the bags could bust? Well, i know they can bust but how often does it happen?
bjIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
Tony@AirRideTech

Re: Air Bag questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjIII View Post
Main question is can you have a big block on bags yes that is probably a stupid question I just want to know... Extra weight?? I don't know...

Second... How safe are bags? Is there a chance the bags could bust? Well, i know they can bust but how often does it happen?

Big blocks dont matter... typically they are only a couple hundred pounds heavier... bout like a fat chick on the hood.......As far as reliability goes... that is definitley a non issue and contrary to what you might read on a forum or a board.... airbags dont "just blow".......
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Kontrol Phreaks

There are only a few reasons why an airbag would fail on you. Listed below are some of the common ones.

1. If it's come in conact with something, or rubbing on something that has weakened the integrity of the airbag. Most commonly the airbag is rubbing on the frame or lower control, and the airbag would eventually fail in that area.

2. If the bags in at an extreme angle under pressure then it will also wear on the bag. Most manufactures have
tollerence that their bags work in, and they should be able to provide you with that information.

3. You can also over inflate the airbag past it's reccomended air pressure in which case it would simply "blow" out. This is very rare unless you're running a higher pressure hopper, like mine .......

We use the Slam Specialties airbags in all our kits because of their extended pressure ratings and bag material thickness compaired when to others on the market. Since you're going to be running a big block in your application, then you're going to want the larger double bellow airbag. Commonly refered to as an Slam Specialties RE7, or a 224 / 2600 Firestone. The larger bag will give you a higher weight rating, and also offer more lift and a lower pressure then the small airbags.

Good luck with your project and let me know if you have any other questions we might be able to help you with.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
7T2

I'm running a 5600 pound ambulance on "normal" bags and don't have any problems:

As others have said, they rarely blow by themselves if installed properly. Most problems arise from improper installation.

By the way, Tony, I didn't see you at Goodguys Columbus this year. I know we talked about lowering the ambulance last year and I wanted to show it to you. I'm sure we'll catch up somewhere this year, probably in Columbus.
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Question Re: Air Bag questions??

Im very interested in installing bags on my 71 Cheyenne, but I know nothing about it...such as, can i install the system on the truck as is, or do you need to have the body removed? is there welding involved? do I have to have all the tanks and compressor in the bed or can they be hidden? and is there a vendor who could advise me on the best setup for my truck? is anyone selling complete kits? and can I do this myself????????.

Forgot to mention...I have coil springs all round.
Thanks.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger

Last edited by eightbanger; 02-22-2008 at 08:35 AM.
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote