The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
C203/4

72 Chevy C20 My story please help!

Hello there,

I found your website and hope you all can help, here is my background:

I recently Purchased a 1972 Chevy C20 from California. My father-in-law's mechanic did 1100.00 to get it ready to be driven up from California to Texas. Located a great guy off of Craigslist that was going out there to drop a car off for a friend that was now living in hawaii and just wanted to drive back, so I gave him 300.00 for gas, nd off he went. no charge for me, which was a good deal, he makes it too 200 miles outside of san antonio, and says, no power, knocking, etc. i then proceeded to ask him, "did you check the oil whats it at?" I got " i never checked the oil i never could find a dip stick." NEVER CHECKED OIL THE WHOLE WAY!

I was LIVID! to say the least he had it towed to the nearest mechanic, and the lashing for the crank were cooked! knocking away, then had it towed to my place. I let things settle down for a while and contacted him, said, OK what are we going to do about the blown motor, I tild him you supply parts, i will rebuild motor.

So the help I need is a book, on specs, etc, engine hoist and stand. it has been way too long since I rebuilt a motor! any local help in Austin?

Randy
Austin Texas
C203/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Jim_PA

Re: 72 Chevy C20 My story please help!

Sounds like your father-in-law's mechanic is more to blame than the guy who was driving? Didn't you pay 1100 to have it prepped for a trip? -- You would think they would have checked/changed the oil.

If I was given a truck to drive, and was told it's in prepped shape, and ready to go, I wouldn't have checked the oil either. I'm surprised the guy who did the driving was willing to pay for anything. In fact, I would think he would have been the one expecting some re-imbursement for his troubles of being stranded in your truck that was supposedly in road-worthy condition.

Or am I missing something in this story?
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
C203/4

Yes you are missing something... you would go 1500 miles without checking oil? it had an oil change just before it left, it stated leaking out by the fuel pump, and by the time he got to where it blew it was three quarts down, and full of metal shavings,
C203/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
Jim_PA

Yes, actually I would go 1500 miles without checking the oil, especially if I was under the assumption that everything was in good mechanical order.

I'm not trying to start a pi**ing match out of your problem, because what happened was unfortunate, and I'm sorry it happened to you... But I don't see why the guy driving was to blame for an oil leak in your truck. I would imagine the damage to the engine was done before the guy even knew that something had gone horribly wrong.

Last edited by Jim_PA; 11-08-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
69CvyPickup4x

I dont think its the drivers problem either. I wouldnt say i wouldnt have checked the oil before i left. but the leak obviously developed on his way driving back, why is that his fault. Its people like you, who make other people not want to do kind favors out of the goodness of there heart because they feel they are going to get screwed for being helpful. Not trying to sound like an a** but thats how i feel.. Theres no way id supply a part for YOUR truck.
69CvyPickup4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

... it stated leaking out by the fuel pump, and by the time he got to where it blew it was three quarts down, and full of metal shavings,[/QUOTE]

I would also side with the driver. The oil leak was not his fault. It is very unfortunate that this happened and I hope it all works out for you. Look at this as an oppurtunity to perform any upgrades you might have wanted to do, or just as a chance to have a truck with a fresh engine. I wouldn't expect the driver to pay anything for damages, after all, he drove the truck to you for free......just my opinion
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
manimal

i agree with both of them. The so-called "mechanic" should have found the problem and fixed it,It's not the drivers fault.I wuld be calling up this mechanic and insisting that HE fixes the problem.
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
i agree with both of them. The so-called "mechanic" should have found the problem and fixed it,It's not the drivers fault.I wuld be calling up this mechanic and insisting that HE fixes the problem.
The only problem is that it may not have been leaking when the mechanic looked at it.
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I had a boss once who wanted me to check the oil and tie down the loads in his company truck.I told him he was crazy,that I would not take responsibility for him.If he blew a motor or lost a load it would be because "HE"didn't check it.I would check it and tie down his loads but it was still his responsibility for the load and truck he was driving.
Not saying anyone is more at fault than anyone else just that if "I'M"going to drive it I will check and try to prevent problems.I would rather have problems with my own than someone else's.
As for your real question,there are manuals by Haynes and Chiltons available.One source is www.motorbooks.com Some auto parts stores also carry them. Another option is to find a chassis service or chassis overhaul manual.The originals pop up on E-bay ocassionally(You may have a bidding war with another BB member)or may be found at swapmeets if you look.There are also some manuals for big and small block chevy's that are specific to those engines.There are also 6 cyl manuals available from the same sources.
Good luck and feel free to ask any question.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 11-08-2006 at 05:52 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by C203/4 View Post
So the help I need is a book, on specs, etc, engine hoist and stand. it has been way too long since I rebuilt a motor! any local help in Austin?
<Stepping aside from the politics of the situation >

A few quick questions:
  • Budget: how much do you have to spend?
  • Parts: from the teardown, what's good and what's not? I have to admit that I have no idea what the "lashing for the crank" is.
  • Goals: what do you want out of the build - restoration? Solid engine? Performance engine?

Books: The two books are the factory service manual and Vizard's "How to Rebuild your Small-block Chevy" - I still use this book as my path through an overhaul.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Yo...870196-6333712

Hoist and stand: I've had pretty good luck with the Harbor Freight stuff myself. I have heard some real horror stories about stuff sold in the "retail" parts stores Schucks, etc. but I'd always trust something from NAPA

<Getting BACK into the politics >
Disclaimer: not an attorney. The guy has no legal responsibility to you and I would expect that when you actually go to him to get cash for parts he's simply going to say no. I agree that it's a reasonable expectation for someone to monitor the condition of the truck, but it's not a legal responsibility unless you have a contract that spells this out.

Good luck!
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote