The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
84TonkaToy

Need Help!

Hello,

I have a 1984 GMC and just recently its started having what i think is carb problems. it has a edelbrock performer intake manifold and a basic edelbrock carb. It starts up and runs great but when i drive it and i come to a stop at a light the thing will die everytime. i then have to punch the gas down and keep trying to turn it over. when it starts again it has a lot of trouble staying running for 5 to 10 min then its fine. i have had the carb rebuilt and tuned and looked over front to back and no one can seem to figure out whats wrong. any idea would be awesome!
84TonkaToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
benoit454
Chris

Re: Need Help!

hmm I was going to say rebuild but since you already done that, it must be something else.

We had one that kept loading up, as we call it, start to idle very rough or die, then have to floor it to start, and had to run it hard or else it load up and stall out or bad idle again and try and die when you'd try to move forward like in traffic, it was flooding out.

I have no idea why, it was brand new, like 9 months old, so we got a new one, 3 months later, same thing on it, got a new one under warranty, 1 month later SAME THING on it!!!! Got another new one, put it on, no trouble like 3 months later.

What air cleaner do you have on it? and is it new? I ran one of the pro flo's and they suck they'll melt and drop into the carb, also running one without an air cleaner will kill the carb, it did on us 3 times or more.

Also when ours done that, it leaked gas out and it would drip out of the throttle plate on the passenger side, it ran out where that rod is that runs through the whole carb.

Another problem I had that might be possible for you is this...

I had same carb on my monte carlo, edelbrock 600 cfm manual choke, vac. sec. and after it would run awhile and get up to temp when you would shut it off and refire the warm engine, it ran aweful, idle was very low, had to gas it to idle, took forever to start and had to floor it, made no vacuum, and just ran crappy almost died all the time. I fixed that problem with an edelbrock heat insulator gasket.

other then that I'd say check your idle speed maybe turn it up.

or maybe it's a float problem, like it drops down when you stop and shut the fuel off completely, acting like the bowl is ful when it's not and the truck dies.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Last edited by benoit454; 04-23-2007 at 09:52 PM.
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

When you say you have to depress the gas pedal to get it started again, the first thing that comes to mind for me is a fuel delivery problem.

To verify this, next time the truck dies on you, if you can, let it sit for a minute or two, then pull the air cleaner and look into the top of the carb. With your hand, pull on the throttle linkage, and see if it's spitting fuel into the carb like it should. If it is, you're fine, if not, read on.

If it's not, the first thing I would check would be a fuel filter, assuming you have one on the truck. Take it off, and blow through it in the direction the fuel would flow. It should blow through fairly easily. It might just be a good idea to go ahead and replace it anyways, since they are only a couple bucks. The next thing I would do if I was in your shoes would be to install an inline fuel filter that's clear. The reason for this is so you can see if there is a bunch of crap getting into the filter. They were made to filter out very small particles, nothing major though. If you do install a clear one, and you can see deposits getting into the filter, then it would be time to find out where these are coming from.

You've got 3 options: Fuel hose deterioration, fuel strainer deterioration, or rust from the inside of the gas tank. Obviously I would start with fuel lines first, and go from there.

I could be completely off on everything I just told you, but your situation sounds exactly like mine, for the most part. A fellow board member got me hooked on the clear fuel filters though, and you can't go wrong with them... they show everything that gets into your system.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
84TonkaToy

Thanx guys for all your help! I will try each one of these suggestions as soon as possible and post my results. Thanks again
84TonkaToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

My truck acted like that just before the fuel pump went out completely.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote