The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Duramax "Lynchpins"?

So after owning "other" diesels in the past. I am eyeballing an '06 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.6L Duramax. Since I have never owned a GM diesel, I would like to ask some of the things that can be, or are a common problem with the Duramax (i.e. the term "lynchpins). Not that this is a problematic platform, but just wondering which years had some things that some owners view as "problems".

Such as glow plug problems, lift pump (if they even have one) problems, turbo problems, electrical issues...

Just wanna pick some brains from the diesel guys.

Thanks,

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 06-10-2011 at 04:14 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Re: Duramax "Lynchpins"?

Anybody with some D-max knowledge?

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Iroc87

I may be wrong but I heard that the 6.6 is a Toyota motor.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The Duramax is made by Isuzu.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
clinebarger

The early ones had BAD!! injector problems, GM even put a 200K warranty on them. But they only replaced the ones that are "bad", in my opinion if one is bad the rest will follow.
Ive done injectors in 01-05 Duramaxes, mostly 01, 02 & 03.
06 may have better injectors?
Keep good clean fuel in it & change the fuel filter on time with a AC Delco fuel filter, Duramax trucks do not have a lift pump, The CP3 injection pump draws fuel from the tank.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thanks a million... that's the exact kind of info I was looking for. I had to replace all the injectors in a '95 7.3L PSD awhile back. Not a fun job. I had one that went out, another that was on its way out, and I did exactly as you said and replaced them all.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Thanks a million... that's the exact kind of info I was looking for. I had to replace all the injectors in a '95 7.3L PSD awhile back. Not a fun job. I had one that went out, another that was on its way out, and I did exactly as you said and replaced them all.

Gary
Running a fuel additive can help injector life I run Power Service http://www.powerservice.com/ in my Cummins. Caterpillar/International HEUI Injectors are a joke. The Bosch Common Rail fuel system is 10 times better.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Olden Days
Living In The Past

I had all injectors replaced at 84000 miles on my 02. The labor expense is so great it just makes sense to get them all replaced while its tore down that far. Other than that it has been a great truck. Since then I added a "Kennedy Diesel" mega fuel filter, and run an additive in the fuel. Even the newer ones still have injector problems but they redisigned how they are installed so that you dont have to tear down so far to get them. It is now easy/easier to replace just 1 bad injector (starting in 04 mid year) Cant beat that Allison transmisson either. I just recently went and bought a used 07. Even if there are known injector issues I gotta have a dmax. Pulling through the rockies every year with loaded gooseneck keeping up with the rest of the traffic is awsome.

Last edited by Olden Days; 06-19-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Maxxd07

Gary, buy it. 06, 07 classics are very sought after since its the two years you could get the 6speed Allison and didnt have the exhaust filter and crap on it. All that coupled with arguably the best Duramax (06-07 LBZ) of all the years since it didnt have the "Lynchpins" of other years. The early LB7s (01-02s) did have some injector problems but the only time you hear of them any more is on the internet. There is quite a few around here that have been beat on farm trucks an have never been touched in 200,000+ miles . The LLYs had a harnes short that would cut half the injectors out but I would bet 95% of all them are fixed and the rest never will be a problem. Also some people had heating problems with the LLY when pulled hard on warmer days. The LMM 07.5+ has the exhaust filter and new emissions stuff but still a good engine. But if I could have found one I would have bought an 06 or 07 classic instead of the one I have because I like the looks of them years. I wouldnt be afraid to buy the truck you have spotted. If you need more info check out some of the Dmax forums on these interwebs. They all have some good info but dont be fooled by one or two people with a horrible expierence. I believe any vehicle is as good as it is treated. Take care of things and they take care of you. Take it for a drive and you will be hooked!
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
northerngmc

I have an 04.5 LLY I bought new and have 150,000 kms on and still loving it.

I agree with what is said above, first was injectors, then injector wiring.

I have heard the 06/07's are bringing good money because people want the trucks before the reburn was added. Mileage also seemed to drop ever time the hp/torque went up, go figure!

Check out www.dieselplace.com for Duramax issues. Great site.

LBZ FAQs, TSBs and DTC help http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=226476

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Awesome posts you'se guys. The '06 I was lookin' at is now sold. But I will be lookin' at the 06-07's.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #12
69trk

i love my 06, no issues and 140k!!!!
Attached Images

431 big block times, changed to a 6.0 ls with turbo
1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81
69trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Nice truck!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #14
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Had an 06 ran it to 96000km's tradedd it in because my friend got an 07 new body style and I've been pissed off ever since with every truck I've owned. My 06 had a 6inch lift, chip and 35's and never had an issue until 70,000km when I got a set of speaker warrantied, this coming from a hard driven oilfield truck that endured -50 degreee winter to +40 degree summer with me behind the wheel since then my 07 was in the shop for 123days total for everything from electrical to suspension in 18months and that led to a ford which is almost as much of a lemon as my 07 chev, IMHO an 06 duramax is the greatest truck ever factory produced for a diesel and would be my choice if I could go back or if I find a low mileage one when I'm due for another
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Same dealer just got a low mileage (65,000) 2004 GMC Sierra 6.6L Duramax in yesterday. Nice lookin' rig... temped on this one as well.

So after looking at www.dieselplace.com's forums about first gen Duramax engines. Is the fuel injection problems one of those things that "will" happen? Or is it something that "could" happen and preventative maintenance/replacement of injectors is necessary.

So not a matter of "if" it will happen but, "when" will it happen...

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by GASoline71; 06-28-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
northerngmc

An 04 could be a LB7 or LLY Duramax as they switched part way through the year. Taken from Dieselplace.com

Years 2001-2004 come with the LB7(8th digit of VIN is 1) motor that produced 300hp and 520ftlbs at the flywheel. The majority of the programmers for this model will not work on later models and vice versa, however the the Quad Stealth2 tuner is now one tuner that works on them all from 01-05. This model may or may not have a catalytic converter depending on where it was sold, but there is no egr or other electronic equipment as far as I know. These are known to provide better mileage and a bit more power with mods.

While the LB7 was still in production throughout most of 2004 we started seeing the arrival of the new LLY(8th digit of VIN is 2) motor that produced 310hp and 590ftlbs at the flywheel in January of 2004. This motor is the first Duramax with equipment from the factory to meet 2007 emissions standards. It has an egr valve, catalytic converter, and a host of other electronic additions and programming. It is referred to as an 04.5 and this motor remained until late 2005 when it was replaced by the 06 LLY. Programmers for 04.5-05 LLY’s will work on each other, but will not work on LB7 or later models.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #17
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Cool... I didn't see that. Great info.

I'm heading to my credit union after work today to check on my line of credit. There are 2 other dealers to go check out as well for trucks.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by GASoline71; 06-28-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #18
Olden Days
Living In The Past

As said above look at the 8th digit of the vin
•01-04 LB7 is a 1
•04.5-05 LLY is a 2
•06 LLY is a 2 (uses same mods as LBZ)
•06-07 LBZ is a D
•07 LMM is a 6 (new body style GMT 900 series)
the LB7 is the one that requires major work to install injectors and will dump diesel in your crank case when they fail.
The 04.5 LLY was redesigned for easier injector install.
The 06 LLY can be reflashed by the dealer to make it an LBz
I bought my 02 new in oct 01. several friends have also bought duramaxes. I have followed the forums and kept up on them. It is by far the exception when one goes high miles without injector failure. I replaced my fuel filter twice as often as factory recomends and still they failed at 84000. My friend did not do that but his went to 140000 and then again at 260000. The mechanics at the shop I use both came from Chevy dealerships and they also would agree that it is WHEN the fail not IF they fail. But as said earlier, get the 04.5 or newer for easier injector replacement, and if it was me I would hold out for the 06 LLY or 07 LBZ

My 07, with 02 behind it
Attached Images

Last edited by Olden Days; 06-28-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #19
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thanks for all the responses eveybody. I picked up a 2006 Chevy 2500HD yesterday. It has the 6.0L Vortec instead of the Duramax. I'm very happy with it.

I appreciate all the input even though I bought the gas rig.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Subscribed for some really informative duramax info! I like to think that when the time comes i will buy one! But chances are good that i will ***** out and get the 6.0 instead.
y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:36 AM   #21
N8B

I have a 2002 3500 dually (LB7) with injector issues also. As noted above I understand they are notorious for failure.
I purchased mine used with 114,000 miles on it. I believe when I do mine it will be the second set of injectors (Maybe third). At $3000 a pop it aint cheap.
A few other things I have been told to watch out for are: Water pump, injector sleeves, turbo & head gaskets. Also as noted above, as injectors fail and one goes bad, they will begin to fail in sequence. It is recommended to replace them all at once or at least the same rail (side) at once.
I have heard that the water pump generally fails at around 114,00 or so. (I guess I am due.) Dealer quotes $1100 parts and labor for that.
Either one is not cheap to fix. That's why mine has been sitting for so long. I am still trying to decide whether or not I want to do the work myself or have someone do it. I understand it is pretty involved and with so many other projects I am not sure I want to do it.
I can say though that when she was running strong she was the best, most powerful thing I have driven. I have an 18 foot flat bed that I use quit a bit to retrieve old hot rods. I drove 700+ miles to pull a 52 chevy flatbed home from Utah and my wife had to keep reminding me I was pulling something. I could not even tell I was pulling a trailer with another big truck on it and we are talking running through some major elevations.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. I have four Chevy trucks ranging through the years and just love them.

Nate
N8B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Over at the www.dieselplace.com forum... there is a cat that went through an entire step by step process with pictures of how to change out the injectors on a 1st gen Duramax. Pretty involved process... but doable in a weekend. Looks to me like the biggest PITA is just removing all the crap out of the way to be able to remove the valve covers.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #23
Dezdad1

Thumbs up Re: Duramax "Lynchpins"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Over at the www.dieselplace.com forum... there is a cat that went through an entire step by step process with pictures of how to change out the injectors on a 1st gen Duramax. Pretty involved process... but doable in a weekend. Looks to me like the biggest PITA is just removing all the crap out of the way to be able to remove the valve covers.

Gary
I have a 2004.5 and has 165K on it i pull a 26ft 5th wheel on the weekends and the only thing so far is a waterpump which took me about 4 hours to change and $185.00 for the pump..change the oil and the fuel filters and they run forever..
Dezdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #24
short-t

I have an 03 (Lb7) that I have had since new, so far I have 135K and the only problems have been a water pump (started to leak shortly after the dealer did a coolant flush) and a flasher module. I added an extra fuel filter when the truck had 6k.

Empty,

When she's working,

1968 C20 Custom Camper 396 50th survivor! SOLD to northerngmc
short-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #25
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Nice!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: