The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
daveboy

Skipping

My stock, '52 Chevy 1/2ton has had a serious lack of power since I bought her a couple of months ago. She would get up to speed, but it took a long time and she would barely pull a hill. Also, she was very hard to start.
Yesterday, I replaced plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, points and condenser. I had a great big smile when she fired right up. But, she actually had less power. I have never installed points before and I thought I might have got the gap wrong. So, I re-gapped the points. This time she runs much better. She has tons of power, cranks easier than my newer vehicles, and I was very happy...until I tried to get a little speed. Now, when the rpms get high, she cuts out. Over 40 mph she coughs, sputters, and skips.
Normally, I would think fuel starvation, but this was not happening before I did the ignition work. I keep thinking that I am doing something wrong with those points. The manual says to set at .018", but for new ones to set to .022" to compensate for wear. It would hardly run at .022", not it is on .020". Do these symptoms sound like they are caused by the point gap, or am I barking up a wrong tree. Again, it was not doing this before I changed the ignition components. All plugs were gapped correctly and I have rechecked all the connections.

Thanks for any help,
daveboy
daveboy is offline   Reply With Quote