The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
vht

Cab corners and vent

Where is the best place to get cab corners that fit? Also, this 51 I bought has the vent in the cowl brazed shut. I would like to keep the vent, functional, does anybody have any ideas on removing the brass? It's all solid around it but I can't think of a way to do it without screwing it up.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Midgets50

Re: Cab corners and vent

i got my cab corner from here http://www.classicparts.com/Patch-Panels/products/74/ they only needed a little trimming because of how i cut my sheet metal and they are alot cheaper than LMC at least they were for me anyway
Midgets50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Are these the vents you are talking about?

If so the patch panel is $59.95 at the same vender listed by Midgets50. By the way you don't have to use the complete patch panel just use what you need of it.

I also purchased some parts from them and only have nice things to say about my dealings with them.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Bubba54

I too have had good luck with there patch panels. Like anything they may need a little tweaking.
I also have got reproduction front fenders, from them, not sure on the fit for those yet.

Shawn
Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
vht

Thanks guys, I was talking about the air vent right in front of the windshield in the center of the cowl panel. You pull the handle under dash and it opens. The guy brazed it shut. I may leave the vent windows in the doors and forget about making the vent functional. I'm not going to put air on the truck and this vent would of been nice.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Midgets50

im not 100% sure but if you have a good torch you might try heating up only the brazed area and see if it gets hot enough to unbraze it so to speak and knock it out with a chisel. You might do some research on it to make sure you dont make things worse. figure its worth a shot though
Midgets50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

I'm REASONABLY certain that if he gets it hot enough to liquify the brazing it'll warp the sheet metal.

But with the hard folded edges of the vent and the recess it sits in, it MIGHT keep it's shape by moving the heat in and out. I'd grab a big wad of steel wool and use that to "grab" the brazing as it softens bit by bit. Keep the heat moving, don't stay in one spot any longer than absolutely necessary.

Of course use a really good set of heat resistant gloves!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
vht

Thought of that, but the warping thing scares me. The guy that blasted it warped the back panel and that is giving me fits right now.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

I get it, but there's no way to do it WITHOUT heat that I can think of.

Check that, you could try cutting the brazing with a thin cutting wheel on a die grinder. This might work if the brazing didn't drip down deep into the gap between the vent and the opening.

IF you screw it up you can mig weld the screw ups, or cut out the entire vent and mig in another one. All labor intensive ideas.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
av8tr33337

I think Dan's last idea is your best option. Start by scoring it first then make a few passes slow and carefull a little deeper each time. You might need to use a dremel tool to get in the radius of the corners.

If that doesn't work I have an extra cab with a crushed roof. I am going to be using a peice of the upper firewall because my better cab has a wrinkle in that area. I'll try to look tomorrow and see if there is any way I can cut out that area. If so I could ship it to you. I can't promise anything, but I will have a look. If it's do-able it would be a couple months before I can tackle it, because of some up comming foot surgery. I will be out of the shop for a while.

Also there is a guy here in Wichita with a store called Bowtie Bits. He sells the same stuff all the bigger venders do, but its a little cheaper for me because no shipping. He does ship all over though.

heres the link

http://www.bowtiebits.com/index.cfm

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup

Last edited by av8tr33337; 07-31-2013 at 10:49 PM.
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
Old Crow

In looking for parts for the '54 project I've just undertaken I found a vendor that has the complete cowl vent door and mechanism for like $150 or so. I've got the name sitting on a list on my desk at work...I'll post it later on today.
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
Cape Codder

If you sacrifice the the vent you can remove it without much damage to the opening. If you heat the vent edge till the brass softens use a wire brush to remove the brass. Cleanup the edge with a grinder and replace the vent. We used to braze panels till the mig welders got popular [Yea I'm old] to remove a panel the wire brush and torch worked best.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Old Crow

Ok, I was wrong on the price, $129.95.

http://www.cruizinparts.com/servlet/...R-CHEVY/Detail
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
mr48chev

If you can't get the brass out and save the vent one option is that I have this cowl that I am not going to use except for the firewall that I could cut however much of a section out of and all you would have to pay is the actual shipping costs. I can't ship the free stuff without having the shipping paid for in advance anymore because someone burned me on the shipping on an aircleaner. This is the cab I am cutting in two to use the back side for my stretched cab.

It's something to think about or be able to fall back on and all I ask is that you pay if forward later.
I'm taking my boat to the water for about ten days and won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote