The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
meteshjj

Question Need Help: '63 305 V6

Okay, so here's my story. I lucked into getting a 2WD 1963 GMC 1000 with a utility box, a 305 V6, and a 4-speed standard tranny. It's been sitting for 22 years in some guy's back yard, just kinda rusting away. I spent about 2 weeks (spread out over 6 months) getting the engine back up and running. I had to rebuild the carb, take apart the valves, rewire the alternator and the spark system... It was a lot of little things.

Now I have the engine back up and running, so, y'know, whoo. My next problem is that I have no brakes and no clutch. I seem to have fixed the brake problem for the time being (I'll do a full bleed once I get this thing back on the road), but the clutch is dead. By dead, I don't mean that the actual clutch doesn't work. Mostly, I am having trouble with getting any pressure on the clutch pedal. And when I say there's no pressure, I mean zero pressure. The pedal drops like a rock.

I think that I need to bleed the clutch as well as the brakes, but I can't seem to find where the bleed valve is. Can anyone help me out? Even if I have to rebuild the MC, I still need to bleed the lines, but they split in 2 directions, so I have no idea where to look.

Additional info: The clutch is hydraulic, and the master cylinder for it pulls from the same reservoir as the brakes. When I pump the brakes, I can see air bubbling up through the fluid. When I pump the clutch, nothing. However, if I take the lines off of the bottom of the MC, both pedals pump fluid.
meteshjj is offline   Reply With Quote