The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
ca180
tryin to get laid

Joining the AirForce

So I haven't really been here all that long. Not that it matters all that much, but I'm joining the air force. I've got a lot of truck stuff that I need to sell and I'm curious as to where and how I should list it.

I'm not tryin to break rules and list stuff here, but the misc classifieds seems a little too busy.

Anyways, any advice is welcome....

Plus any info as to what to expect from the USAF is very welcome!

ca180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Re: Joining the AirForce

Congrats on joining the Air Force and thank you for serving our Country! I have the greatest respect those that serve and/or have served our country.

I'm an old Army guy and we used to hear stories about how easy AF basic training was. My youngest son joined the Air Force a little over a year ago and I had this vision that he would have a breeze. Wrong! We visited him a few days before graduation and I saw nothing that would ever (from that point on) lead me to believe AF was any easier than the Army basic training I went through.

Just remember that basic is basic and everyone goes through it. All of us veterans made it and you can too. Just mind games, dehumanization, discipline and training to work together as a team. Keep your head low, don't try to be a clown, don't seek out attention (they will give it to you, more than you will ever want). You'll have a huge sense of pride for making it through. After basic, things get a little better as you move on to training school for your specialty.

After that, it's off to your first duty station and things get a little better then too. You'll have time to be you, get a car, shop, spend money, off time, etc. Basic is the hard part, progressively gets better after that.

Where are you in OK? I'm in Amarillo. Still looking for some parts for my truck restore. Let me know if you have anything for a 78 shortbed.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:19 AM   #3
ca180
tryin to get laid

Thanks a lot. I'm actually looking forward to basic. I hope they break all the habits I already have! LOL...

My biggest issue is that I'm already married. 2.5 years now. Gonna be hard goin 8.5 weeks without my wife. Then another month or two in school.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca180 View Post
Thanks a lot. I'm actually looking forward to basic. I hope they break all the habits I already have! LOL...

My biggest issue is that I'm already married. 2.5 years now. Gonna be hard goin 8.5 weeks without my wife. Then another month or two in school.
It will be easier than you think. Your wife can write you and you can make calls every now and then, while in basic. Those letters become much anticipated and will get you though it.

The worst part for me was getting orders to go to Korea for a year, without my family. I was schedule to leave the day my youngest son (who is now in the Air Force) was due to be born. I got an extension for three months, but after that, had to leave my wife and three kids for a year. Came home for a few weeks, then right back off to Recruiting school for three months before finally coming back home.

Make sure your wife comes to graduation. You'll be very happy she did and I suspect she'll be even happier
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
mitch1965

First, THANK YOU.

Next, try listing on Craigslist in your area. I have found and gotten rid of a lot of stuff there.

Good Luck.
Mitch
Old 12-21-2008, 02:13 AM   #6
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

The Air Force:

its awesome, I wish I had joined earlier than I did bro... going on my third year now. What AFSC are you going under? FYI for basic, when you get to chow, do not make direct eye contact with "the snake pit". You will understand when you get there what I am talking about.

Remember your critical six words: "sir/ma'am, trainee _____, REPORTS as ordered."

Pray for the 324 training sq for basic... All the T.I.'s there are awesome. Thats where I was trained at.

as far as the truck parts go... ebay if you cant CL them off in time...

Have fun bro...

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
thump16

I have been in for 15 years. I have enjoyed every minute of it. The best advice I can give to you is to work hard and use sound judgment both on and off duty. You can learn alot and thereare some really great people in the military from all branches. Good luck
thump16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
ARAMP1
ROCK*STAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca180 View Post
Hell, that's nothing. Wait until you do 4, 6 or 12 month deployments. Although, that all might change with the new administration.
ARAMP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

If it's not too cold, someone may be holding a swap meet. Check around, it's be an easy way to get rid of a bunch of stuff fairly quickly.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #10
b454rat

I did 8 years as a squid, wasn't too bad. Got out in '02. I'd say keep the truck and parts you have. If you are state side you can take it with you and they will move it for you. The hobby shops have real good equipment and alot of tools. (Least at the ones I've been to)

Hopefully the Air Force will treat you better than the USN did for me. It wasn't bad, but the people over me were a$$holes to say the least. What's scary now, the d!ip****s that were in with me who didn't know anything, are now in the position to make decisions. That was one of the reason I got out. Good luck, and boot is easy. It's all a mind game anyways.....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthaMan View Post
Just remember that basic is basic and everyone goes through it. All of us veterans made it and you can too. Just mind games, dehumanization, discipline and training to work together as a team. Keep your head low, don't try to be a clown, don't seek out attention (they will give it to you, more than you will ever want). You'll have a huge sense of pride for making it through. After basic, things get a little better as you move on to training school for your specialty.

After that, it's off to your first duty station and things get a little better then too. You'll have time to be you, get a car, shop, spend money, off time, etc. Basic is the hard part, progressively gets better after that.
Excellent advise!

Married life in the military takes a special kind of person. However, there are numerous means of communications that were not available 13 years when I left the Navy. So, staying in touch should make the separations more bearable.

I've been out of the Navy now as long as I was in the Navy and I still cherish every minute with my family. The experiences will make you into a person that you can't even imagine today!

Good Luck!

Thanks for carrying the ball from one who has already done so!

Kenny
U.S. NAVY
1982 - 1995
Vet of Beruit '83
ODS 1990-1991

Last edited by 87Lowrider; 12-21-2008 at 01:13 PM.
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

ca180...........

Thank you for your future service to this GREAT Nation!

The rest of you Veterans and active duty, THANK YOU!

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
ca180...........

Thank you for your future service to this GREAT Nation!

The rest of you Veterans and active duty, THANK YOU!
for sure,boatpuller salute's you guy's and gal's
Old 12-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

you are a supporting member and the things should be listed in the appropriate classified section. Im also going to have to move this to its correct forum

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #15
cayoterun

Thanks for your service. Print and take all the good advice given above with you.
Work hard, learn all you can, and you'll come home a better man for your wife, family and yourself.
I did mine in the Army long ago.
Cayoterun

I think I'll do it myself and pay the extra $500.
cayoterun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #16
big_al_71

Thank you!!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild

Last edited by big_al_71; 12-21-2008 at 07:40 PM.
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #17
Nolowrider

Thank you for your service (from a vet). The military is a good place to start life. If you want to excel and advance in rank, you can. If you just want to hang out with people that will only bring you down, you can do that too. Do what you are told to do and don't do what you are told not to do. Study for your exams, always have on a clean pressed uniform and respect your superiors. Do all of this, and you will have a great career. The time in basic and tech school will fly by. Good luck.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #18
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Buy some silly string.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
haus
MMMM Ramen!

Thank you for your service. I've been in the Air Force for 9 years now. After you get to the other side, you'll laugh and remember the fun times from basic.

Every base can be your favorite or least favorite place - it's all what you make of it. Get out, and get sightseeing. The last thing you'll want to say in 5 years is "I was in this great location, but I never left housing." Take it from someone who's done it. Good luck, 8 weeks will fly by before you know it.

- 1970 chevy blazer
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #20
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

Since I went through basic 20 years ago last October, its changed a bit. Lackland didnt even look the same as I remembered it when I went back in 04 and 05, of course driving around is very different from walking. It was similar but you will get the idea. Make sure everything is buttoned, be anal about strings, and dont walk down the center aisle unless you are told to.

This is the best time to be going, except for the rain, it wont be hot. Dont dwell on things you cant change, just look forward to when you are done with whatever it is you are doing right now. That works later on too, on deployments, remotes, and whatever else you might end up doing. Just pay attention to what you are doing, and always look ahead and stay positive. If I can do it, you can.

I was a 2T271, the guys at the passenger terminal and the guys who move cargo are the same career field. Get to know some of them good and you can get hops really easy.

As for your truck and parts, I just left mine at my dads farm, if you know someone who can keep it for you, you can pick it up when you get done with basic, or back from your first overseas base. You never know where you are going, trust me on that...

Good luck and pray you dont run into a SSGT like me, I was an insufferable jerk when it came to doing the job right and safely.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #21
ca180
tryin to get laid

Thanks everyone for that kind words. That makes me feel a little awkward.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm really looking forward to the challenge.