The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
samdjr74

Follow up to my brake light switch question

Hi All,

I'm just wondering if going with a mechanical brake light switch is a better option? I need this for the TC lock up as well so I'm going to need a 4 contact switch. After reading up on this it sounds like the pressure switches leave a lot to be desired. Has anyone mounted a mechanical switch in their 2nd series? If so got any pictures? If the pressure switch is a popular choice any one have any feed back on it?

Thanks,
Sam
samdjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
samdjr74

Re: Follow up to my brake light switch question

anyone?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
OrrieG

on my old rigs i have always used the existing mechanical switches. easier to diagnose when they go bad and don't need to bleed the brakes when replaced.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by OrrieG; 03-11-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: fat telephone fingers
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
mylow53

old school if not original. still working in the old girl!!!
GT
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
samdjr74

Thanks guys, does anyone have any pictures of these installed? I'm having a hard time visioning how this will mount in my 56.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 03-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdjr74 View Post
Thanks guys, does anyone have any pictures of these installed? I'm having a hard time visioning how this will mount in my 56.

Thanks,
Sam
Does your brake pedal mount under the dash or under the floor?
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
mr48chev

I've got a pressure switch in the line on the truck now but am going back to a mechanical switch on the 48 during the rebuild.
If you have swing pedals with a firewall mounted master cylinder it should be easy to mount a bracket for a later model 4 pin switch an a tab on the pedal arm to activate it.

Floor mounted would be a little harder but can be done.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
samdjr74

I'm running a CPP firewall mount MC with the bracket that replaces the stock dash bracket and the pedal hanging down from the bracket assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
Does your brake pedal mount under the dash or under the floor?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
samdjr74

All of the mechanical ones I've seen so far show the units mounted to a floor mount style MC so at least this is good news for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I've got a pressure switch in the line on the truck now but am going back to a mechanical switch on the 48 during the rebuild.
If you have swing pedals with a firewall mounted master cylinder it should be easy to mount a bracket for a later model 4 pin switch an a tab on the pedal arm to activate it.

Floor mounted would be a little harder but can be done.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
MrDude_1

Quote:
I'm running a CPP firewall mount MC with the bracket that replaces the stock dash bracket and the pedal hanging down from the bracket assembly
awesome, that makes it much easier... because its not under the truck, it doesnt have to be weatherproof.

Just go snag a brake light switch off any modern car/truck.. i like the ones GM put on everything from the 80s to early 90s.. but any of them work.
just bend a 90* bracket to hold the switch infront of the pedal arm.

when the pedal is up, it pushes the switch in. and the lights stay off.. when you push the pedal down, the switch button goes out, and the lights come on.

for cruise, you put a second switch right next to it... you may need to put a small bar or tab across the pedal arm so its wide enough to hit two switches...
Or get a 2 circuit switch.

if you get the one GM put on their cars, it pushes in a grommet with a ratchet action.. so you can easily mount it in place.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
samdjr74

Ok, now I get it, so with the pedal in the normal postion, not depressed the switch circuit is actually open and when you despress the pedal the switch button releases or opens which in turn closes the circuit, correct?

The ones I've seen listed for GM with the 4 terminals look like the brake/cruise control, do you think this would work as a break/torque convertor lock up switch?

Quote:
awesome, that makes it much easier... because its not under the truck, it doesnt have to be weatherproof.

Just go snag a brake light switch off any modern car/truck.. i like the ones GM put on everything from the 80s to early 90s.. but any of them work.
just bend a 90* bracket to hold the switch infront of the pedal arm.

when the pedal is up, it pushes the switch in. and the lights stay off.. when you push the pedal down, the switch button goes out, and the lights come on.

for cruise, you put a second switch right next to it... you may need to put a small bar or tab across the pedal arm so its wide enough to hit two switches...
Or get a 2 circuit switch.

if you get the one GM put on their cars, it pushes in a grommet with a ratchet action.. so you can easily mount it in place.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
MrDude_1

Quote:
Ok, now I get it, so with the pedal in the normal postion, not depressed the switch circuit is actually open and when you despress the pedal the switch button releases or opens which in turn closes the circuit, correct?
correct.

Quote:
The ones I've seen listed for GM with the 4 terminals look like the brake/cruise control, do you think this would work as a break/torque convertor lock up switch?
for the brake switch, yes.
I dont know what controller you're using for the torque converter lockup, but its probably exactly what it needs. almost every brake switch works the same, doesnt matter if its kia, honda, bmw, or GM... so i would expect any converter lockup circuit to expect the same from the switch.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
samdjr74

I haven't purchased the TC lock up yet but I'm guessing they all work in the same fashion. Most of them come with a replacement pressure switch with 4 leads on it. I would assume that if a mechincal switch with brake and cruise control works in the same way it should work for my configuration as well.

Quote:
correct.

for the brake switch, yes.
I dont know what controller you're using for the torque converter lockup, but its probably exactly what it needs. almost every brake switch works the same, doesnt matter if its kia, honda, bmw, or GM... so i would expect any converter lockup circuit to expect the same from the switch.