The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
NW Task Force

Question Questions about Factory Assembly Manual

I am looking for very specific information that shows things like............. emblem placement (in dimensions), hardware size & locations, part numbers & descriptions and other "how it was put together" information. Does the Factory Assembly Manual cover all of this? I want to know before I buy. I would hate to buy a book that doesn't give me much info. Does anyone own a copy of the 55-59 Chevy/GMC F.A.M. ???? Just curious...........
Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
tmoble

Re: Questions about Factory Assembly Manual

I have one one, recently bought it at Grumpy's which is only a couple miles from my house. I think it was $25 or so.

Keep in mind that the book was created for assembly line crews assembling trucks from scratch. There's sometimes not much detail on stuff that came to the line as pre built sub-assemblies, like the heater for instance. Mine has nothing about turn signals.

Lots of good info though. You have to kind of get used to the way it's laid out.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
magicoolbus

The assembly manual is a must have as is the accessory installation (options) manual and the shop manual. I have used all three tons of times, plus they are just cool to look through. You will not find any thing about turn signals or heater install in the assembly manual, as that book deals with factory assembly. Turn signals, heater, radio, mirror, sun visors, back up lights, emergency brake light--the list goes on are all dealer add ons and are in the accessory manual!
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
OrrieG

They reproduction manuals do NOT have anything for the 58-59 specific models like fenders, trim, and fleetside beds. There must have been a supplement but I have not found it reproduced yet. If you have a fleetside take better pictures then I did of the disassembly!

Last edited by OrrieG; 03-15-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: not an english major
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
NW Task Force

Question Re: Questions about Factory Assembly Manual

Thanks for the great info! I am looking for a publication that shows where certain grommets are supposed to go and also hardware that bolts the body panels together on my 57'. If a person needs to add on an emblem that never came with the truck from the factory, is there a diagram in the manual that shows emblem dimensioning/placement? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
OrrieG

Factory Assembly Manual shows how all the wire, lines, etc. are ran and locations of holes in frame, firewall, etc for standard stuff. Accessories are in the accessory manual. Standard emblems for 55-57 are shown, 58-59 you are on your own or can ask nice guys like me that have not welded up all the holes!
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
NW Task Force

I picked up the 55-59 Factory Assembly Manual yesterday at a local swap meet. The information is pretty detailed. I did not find the placement for the "V" emblems that belong on 57' Chevy V8 equipped trucks. These "V" emblems are specifically on the doors. The manual only shows 55 & 56 V8 emblem dimensions.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
dicer

The assembly manuals are mislabled as 55 to 59, it is basicly for 55 and maybe touches on 56. If you look at the botom of the pages you see the drawing dates, and most of them are drawn in 1954, probably as they were gearing up production for the new 55 task force series. From 55 to 59 things pretty much stayed the same, there are of course the obvious differences. There is zero information about fleet side beds in them.
Its still handy to have.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote