The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
Marcosmadness

Manuals and CDs

First let me say I am a big fan of Factory/dealer repair manuals.
I have a 1959 Chevrolet step van (Task Force 59 Forward Control model 3445) and I haven't ordered any manuals yet. I have found a 1958 Chevrolet truck factory manual and a 1959 Chevrolet truck supplement to go with it. These also seem to be available on a CD. My first question is, do any of these manuals cover the step vans. For example, the step vans had an updraft carburetor and a speed governor... do these manuals cover these items? My step van has an Eaton HO72 full floating rear axle.... is there any information on these? Any opinions about CD versus paper versions of these manuals? Are there other manuals that I should have as well? Which vendors that sell manuals are best to deal with for good service and price?
Attached Images

Marcosmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
onedayjake

Re: Manuals and CDs

I don't have any answers to your questions but I just wanted to say that thing is awesome!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Marcosmadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayjake View Post
I don't have any answers to your questions but I just wanted to say that thing is awesome!
Thanks for the compliment. I just bought the Step Van about a month ago so I am still working through the "issues" but it is fun. I bought the van to pull my vintage race car to the races... I don't need a tow vehicle but I thought it would be "cool" to have a vintage van to pull a vintage race car to the races type of thing. Currently the step van has a Chevy 235 engine, 4 speed with "granny low" and a Eaton axle with a 5:14 ratio so I have a ways to go. Top speed is around 50 mph (3000 rpm in 4th) because of the high ratio and a velocity speed governor. The electrical system has the typical problems associated with previous owners that didn't know what they were doing so I also have that to deal with. I have a new differential with 4:10 gears ready to install if it ever stops raining. I have attached a picture of the 1966 Marcos 1800 GT that it will eventually tow to the races.
Attached Images

Marcosmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
JML55

That's really cool.
55 Belair
99 S10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316140
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=806011
JML55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
dicer

Well the main problem with a CD is you need some kinda semi expensive device to play it in, and electronics can go bad, leaving you with a round chunk of plastic. One plus is water wont hurt it, and it won't mildew.

Its a heck of alot easier to sit in your chair or in your truck and page through to the page and information your looking for, and maybe stick a card there not to loose your place. And you can set it on your work bench or fender and thumb through it.

Personally I do not want any CD manual at all too slow to page around in.

And yes, all the manuals do include your vehicle.

Oh whats so cool about that van you have, is it looks more modern than the news ones, and its over 50 years old, very nice.
I'm not sure but I think all the good truck design people at GM died in 1960????????

Last edited by dicer; 03-20-2011 at 09:55 PM.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote