The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2023, 01:29 AM   #1
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Was a good day. Fuel system is done. Air intake is done. Cooling system almost done, just need to make a hose coupling for the upper radiator hose. Alternator back on. Both headers and J pipes on. Got a start on the wiring but barely. First new problem is routing the wires for O2 sensors. They are no where near where they would typically be on a regular car. It's a confusing mess of wiring and I'm not looking forward to it.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:28 PM   #2
67C10Step

That turquoise color looks killer on that body style. Lots of curves to show off the shade and sparkle.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:35 AM   #3
joesscamaro

67C10 said it...that color would look great on your car! Thanks for posting the updates and enjoy following along on your build.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:54 PM   #4
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
That turquoise color looks killer on that body style. Lots of curves to show off the shade and sparkle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesscamaro View Post
67C10 said it...that color would look great on your car! Thanks for posting the updates and enjoy following along on your build.
Thanks for chiming in. I don't get much feedback on this build thread.

Clutch cable came today so I got that in. I drilled the shifter handle so it mounts vertically. It's too long but all I have for now. Should put a big old beer keg tapper on there and rat it out! Nope, not doing that. I got to row through the gears and make vroom vroom noises. Shifts nice. Still need to adjust the cable.

Got more wiring connections made between the various harnesses. I need to make some battery cables up. I have enough wire but ordered a crimper and eyelets to do it right. Just another excuse to buy some tools lol.

Once the battery cables are on and run to the coyote fuse box, there's not much left before trying to start it. Clutch switch and fans but those could be ignored or jumpered for the start up. Add ground straps. My transmission neutral safety switch plug looks damaged so might need to replace that.

So loud exhaust noises may be emanating from the garage before too long.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2023, 07:26 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Do you have a timeline for being on the road, like driving it this summer sort of thing? Or are you at, its done when its done.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:15 AM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Do you have a timeline for being on the road, like driving it this summer sort of thing? Or are you at, its done when its done.
Well I thought I might have it running by last fall. That obviously didn't happen. If it starts there's not a ton of stuff to do before go carting it around the yard. I need to finish the trunk area and wiring. I'm planning to make a wood dash that will be time consuming. I would like to get the body on it this summer and try to get the registration done. Depends on how distracted I get with other projects.

My square body crewcab front seat is getting recovered this month and I need to order carpet for that. It needs a little more rust repair then bodywork.

My 71 C10 needs a new EFI system, the FI tech one wasn't working. And there's something draining the battery I need to fix.

A new side by side to play with. A motorcycle and sidecar that needs attention and sold.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:15 PM   #7
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

One of those days that I spent hours doing stuff but feels like I barely got anything done. Cleaning up/sorting more wiring. Built a bracket for the clutch switch, basically takes the place of the neutral safety switch. Adapted an unused bracket to hold the clutch cable, still need to drill a couple holes to actually mount it.

On the clutch switch bracket, I had my wife come out to help by pressing in the clutch peddle while I tinkered with the switch/brackets. First thing she says? Which peddle is it? LOL She hasn't driven a stick since she was 16. She has already stated that she has NO interest in driving this car.

I did order a new neutral safety switch for the transmission, even though I might never hook it up. I'd rather have it and not need it I guess. Also ordered the reverse light switch and sent a couple different tech help emails to try and figure out which wire is which on the speed sensor of the transmission. Both the same color. And to make things more confusing there is a VSS input and that I'm fairly sure I need to connect to the ECU, but there's also a VSS out wire that isn't even talked about in the instructions from Ford on the control pack. No wiring diagram came with that BTW.

Fan wiring can be done about 4 different ways according to the 2 different factory five instructions. I'm starting to get a feel for the chassis harness wiring and there's a bunch of it that doesn't get used because of the coyote control pack and because I'm using dakota digital gauges. So this week I just need to finish the power leads, hook up some grounds, get a battery and see what starts on fire. If everything survives that exercise I can put some gas in it and see if it'll produce internal combustion. I have a feeling I'm going to be shaking my head and staring at wiring diagrams and 4 different instruction manuals, mumbling to myself in cursive.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2023, 05:57 PM   #8
fatbass

I kind of understand why you don't get much feedback. This build looks super complicated and in my case, I'm still too analog for all these computerized controls.
I've been following in awe so it's not like your build is unappreciated. I'm subbed and check in daily.
I really like that turquoise color for whatever that's worth.
(I kind of half hoped you'd use a Chevy drivetrain just to piss off the purists.)
BTW, I have read all of your other threads and like your style.
As an aside, I was a boiler inspector back in a prior life ('80s) and moved to aerospace afterwards.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:58 PM   #9
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
That's a engine bay full of engine..!!!
Yup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbass View Post
I kind of understand why you don't get much feedback. This build looks super complicated and in my case, I'm still too analog for all these computerized controls.
I've been following in awe so it's not like your build is unappreciated. I'm subbed and check in daily.
I really like that turquoise color for whatever that's worth.
(I kind of half hoped you'd use a Chevy drivetrain just to piss off the purists.)
BTW, I have read all of your other threads and like your style.
As an aside, I was a boiler inspector back in a prior life ('80s) and moved to aerospace afterwards.
The boiler inspection business has changed quite a lot since then. I still enjoy what I do. As for the quantity of feedback I think it's just less forum traffic especially on these "alternate tinkerings". It's fine really. I use the factory five forums for assistance and I have a local contact I can lean on too. I didn't create a build thread there though. Lets say I don't fit in there as much as here. So many of the people building these are doing the big budget, complete kit, new crate engine, etc. with all the options. There's almost nobody on there doing a donor car build like me. I even quit following the FB page because of the snobery I've encountered. I'm not saying they're all asshats, like any online forum deal you get your share of trolls or just well, snobs.

As for the chevy drivetrain option, there are several cars with LS engines and I'm sure there's older builds using the sbc. I have no problem with it because it's a kit car! Make it how you want. My choice was more about trying something new to me. Lessons learned, don't care for the complexity.

That said, I did get the engine wiring mostly done, minus the radiator fan. The battery was hooked up and smoke tested the wiring. No smoke escaped so I gave the ignition switch a turn and it cranks! I think I just need to add gas and give it a try. Oh and that battery is not the one for this car. I bought it to use as a 2nd battery on the plow truck. I just ordered some micro AGM battery for this that costs a bit more but takes up half the space.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2023, 08:25 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

That's a engine bay full of engine..!!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:48 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Hi, my name is HG and I am a moron. I'm not always a moron, but there are times it can not be denied. For my next trick I'll be pulling the transmission, clutch and flywheel out to put that little ring on the crank.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:42 PM   #12
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got the transmission out. Will finish disassembly tomorrow or Friday.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2023, 10:54 AM   #13
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Hi, my name is HG and I am a moron. I'm not always a moron, but there are times it can not be denied. For my next trick I'll be pulling the transmission, clutch and flywheel out to put that little ring on the crank.
LOL!!!! Don't worry, we all do stuff like that at some point . At least it wasn't that difficult to repair.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:54 PM   #14
fatbass

That sucks, HG. At least the odds are now in your favor of making rumbles and roars soon.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:36 PM   #15
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
LOL!!!! Don't worry, we all do stuff like that at some point . At least it wasn't that difficult to repair.
Quote:
That sucks, HG. At least the odds are now in your favor of making rumbles and roars soon.
Oh it's not my first time undoing several steps to fix a mistake. Won't be my last either.

The flywheel is off and there wasn't magically a new forgotten pulse ring on it. At least I didn't lose or scrap the one I had.

But I can't find the dang pilot bushing clutch plate holder thingy so I can't reassemble the clutch until tomorrow when I can borrow one from the mechanic in town.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2023, 06:17 PM   #16
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Dang HG.. I feel your pain about the no crank issue..I'm fighting one myself at the moment...
I'm replacing my crank sensor to see if it solves my problem...
I tested my old one going by a how to on YouTube..if I did the test correctly ,then its bad..
Not sure how it went bad ..it was a running engine when I did the swap..
I sure hope the cs fixes it..dang thing cost $110 before my buddys business discount..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
Old 02-09-2023, 10:31 PM   #17
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Dang HG.. I feel your pain about the no crank issue..I'm fighting one myself at the moment...
I'm replacing my crank sensor to see if it solves my problem...
I tested my old one going by a how to on YouTube..if I did the test correctly ,then its bad..
Not sure how it went bad ..it was a running engine when I did the swap..
I sure hope the cs fixes it..dang thing cost $110 before my buddys business discount..
One test, if it's not too late, is to use a code reader in live mode, crank the starter and see if there's an rpm signal.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:07 AM   #18
mongocanfly
Post Whore

It didnt help HG..new sensor...hook scanner up in live..no rpm signal

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 02-11-2023, 10:37 AM   #19
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
It didnt help HG..new sensor...hook scanner up in live..no rpm signal
Did you check for reference voltage from the ECU to the sensors? 5V I think.

The clutch and flywheel (and pulse ring) are back on. Going out this morning to get the bellhousing and starter back on, then a friend is coming by to help get the tranny back in later today.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:29 AM   #20
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I back pinned the signal wire from the crank sensor at the ecm...I'm getting a crank pulse signal there..
So the new crank sensor is working..I retested the old sensor and it's working also..
So there was nothing wrong with my original crank sensor..
Gonna put my ecm in a buddys truck and see ir itll crank and run.

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 02-11-2023, 05:41 PM   #21
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I back pinned the signal wire from the crank sensor at the ecm...I'm getting a crank pulse signal there..
So the new crank sensor is working..I retested the old sensor and it's working also..
So there was nothing wrong with my original crank sensor..
Gonna put my ecm in a buddys truck and see ir itll crank and run.
Good luck! It's so frustrating trying to find problems. You should see what I went through last summer on my crewcab with the LS. Turns out it was the fuel pump, but had no idea because the pump was running and it would start.

The cobra is a runner! And a driver! I need to bleed the brakes and adjust the clutch but it starts right up and drove around our driveway with no real issues. Video to follow.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:44 PM   #22
mongocanfly
Post Whore

The cobra is a runner! ...COOL!!!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 02-11-2023, 09:49 PM   #23
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

First start https://youtube.com/shorts/1A0IPjqJHm4?feature=share

First drive https://youtu.be/fuvyT3rAKiY

Second drive, took the wife for a cruise
https://youtu.be/FafDvftkwvk

Last edited by hgs_notes; 02-11-2023 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:00 PM   #24
fatbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Awesome! Sounds like a hot rod. You're definitely 30% complete LOL.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:08 PM   #25
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
What about using the 3M di noc wood vinyl on the aluminum kit dash? Would give you several different wood look choices.
I'll check it out thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I just seen that the tinkering I posted back on the first page of this site is no longer shown as it was through Tiny Pics which is no longer in business ..
So, here it is again with the last photo of my old place when we last lived and since sold , bought the place in 1967 for $ 5800.00 and sold it for $ 250.000 ,,I tinkered all through this transforming on my own ,,just used some help

Moved to Idaho in 2012,

Attachment 2258445

Attachment 2258446

Attachment 2258447
Hey gopapa, I think you wanted this as a new post. My exes family is in SE Idaho. I love it there.
Quote:
Awesome! Sounds like a hot rod. You're definitely 30% complete LOL.
On hours, probably.

I just realized I started this thread a year ago today. Just under a year to make it go. Not bad really.