The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
rickf

Electric fan vs. clutch fan

I took what I believe to be the EOM clutch fan off and replaced it with an electric fan, because my truck was overheating. I didn't have a fan shroud and was advised that might be the problem.

It wasn't, it still overheated. So I replaced the radiator, now it runs cool without even turning on the fan unless in real slow traffic, like stop lights and such. But that has been during winter and spring, cool air times.

I'm thinking of going back to EOM style, with shroud and clutch fan, as that electric fan is looking pretty tough on my whimpy little alternator, my charge guage almost pegs when the fan is on.

But looking at that clutch fan again, that thing is heavy. It seems it would be tough on the water pumps bearings, with all that weight out on a fulcrum. I know they are run that way, have been for decades. But how much longer might a water pump last if it didn't have that load, I wonder.

So what is the concensus here on fans?
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: Electric fan vs. clutch fan

The biggest load on the pump bearing is from the belt being too tight. When spinning, the fan doesn't have much of a side load, most of the load pushes straight fore and aft, providing the fan is balanced.

Years back one of the mags did a dyno test on fans. I don't remember the numbers, but the flex fan they tried was the biggest power loss, then a clutched fan, with the electric fan using the least horsepower.

If it were me, I would put on a bigger alternator and see how the truck does in the summer.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
04Xrider
Registered thread killer

I would get a better alt. You will save gas and gain more hp with the electric. That is what I have, and no looking back.
04Xrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
rickf

Okay, so far it is unanimous for the electric fan.

What are you guys using for a fan controller?

Right now mine is manual, I have a marine push/pull switch where the choke control used to be. This was okay for getting on the road, but will certainly be a nuisance in the long run.

I have two temp senders right now, one in the stock location on the side of the block (or is it in the head... I forget) and another in the thermostat housing. Right now I'm running two temp guages, the stock original and an aftermarket that actually shows degrees.

I've seen several controllers that use a sender that is just clamped to the exterior of a hose or rad core, and just one that actually has a screw in sender. I'm thinking I would prefer the latter, since I already have a place to put it.

What are you guys using?
What do you like and dislike about it?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would recommend the Painless fan relay and sender kit. The have a sender (two temps available), the relay and the wiring all in one kit. That way it is automatic and you don't forget to turn the fan on....ask me how I know. You can also buy just the sender from both Painless and American Autowire, if you want to build your own controller. I also like this setup better than the probe in the radiator inlet....it's much cleaner looking and less likely to leak.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
JON70CST

hey,
i agree, go with the electric fan, i put one on my nova when i installed the 350, mostly for even better clearance measures, but it is amazing! i actually installed a thermostat on my fan, it has a dial setting control wich you can adjust at what temp rougly you want the fan to kick in. it has a sending unit from the rad. super easy to install and well worth it.
JON70CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:58 AM   #7
cell

another vote for electric. and I was in the same situation -- once I replaced my radiator I hardly needed a fan anyway.
cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:36 AM   #8
rickf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I would recommend the Painless fan relay and sender kit. The have a sender (two temps available), the relay and the wiring all in one kit. That way it is automatic [Bold]and you don't forget to turn the fan on....ask me how I know.[/Bold] You can also buy just the sender from both Painless and American Autowire, if you want to build your own controller. I also like this setup better than the probe in the radiator inlet....it's much cleaner looking and less likely to leak.
I'm pretty sure I know how you know, same as me... like, sitting at a traffic light on my C10 throne, smirking at the world of cookie cutter imports all around me, when that aroma of frying oil grime comes wafting in, and you say to your kid "somebody around here is overheating", ... and then you remember the manual fan switch!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:01 AM   #9
NF65Fleetside

My clutch fan wasnt keeping my radiator cool, some said it was cause I didnt have a shroud. Since I couldnt afford a new one and no used ones popped up, I opted for an electric pull fan with a manual switch. I flushed my radiator and block,put in some new coolant and water and now she runs super cool and barely pegs 200 in dog slow traffic.
NF65Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:05 AM   #10
04Xrider
Registered thread killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
Okay, so far it is unanimous for the electric fan.

What are you guys using for a fan controller?

Right now mine is manual, I have a marine push/pull switch where the choke control used to be. This was okay for getting on the road, but will certainly be a nuisance in the long run.

I have two temp senders right now, one in the stock location on the side of the block (or is it in the head... I forget) and another in the thermostat housing. Right now I'm running two temp guages, the stock original and an aftermarket that actually shows degrees.

I've seen several controllers that use a sender that is just clamped to the exterior of a hose or rad core, and just one that actually has a screw in sender. I'm thinking I would prefer the latter, since I already have a place to put it.

What are you guys using?
What do you like and dislike about it?
Here is the one I chose. It was a pretty easy install, and it has been very reliable. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem
04Xrider is offline   Reply With Quote