The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
truckeroy

Trans issue

I just bought my 64 and it had screwed up linkage on a floor shift conversion. It wouldn't hold in 1st because it hit the seat, but i thought it might be more than that. (a lower price point). i put in a new shifter and the trans seems to want to jump out of 1st and I hear some growling. So it looks like a trans change may be in order. My question is what 3spd will fit in place of the original? Was a different trans used after 64? I realize the clutch spline and drive shaft yoke spline is different in some designs, but what will interchange with my 64? A 4 spd would be fine, but the cost goes up, I know. What is the best way to go, short of an auto? I put an s10 in my 40 pu, so I guess that's an option here except for the cost. Thanks, Roy
truckeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
66Submarine

Re: Trans issue

I think '67 was when they changed over to the Saginaw three speeds with the synchronized first gear. The little three speeds go back to the 50's at least in cars, IIRC. Most GM trans will bolt up; the later trans will use a fine spline output yoke. (The old three speeds have a coarse spline output shaft.) Most trans you'll be looking at will probably have the same 1-1/8"-10 input shaft; if they don't you can just get another clutch disk.

But, they put a lot of three speeds identical to yours in these trucks and the demand is pretty much non-existent. If you don't have a problem with the old "peanut" trans (as some call them), just find another one. I don't think they sell for more than about $50. (A couple guys on this board have given a couple of them away when they swapped.)

Outside of that, it's your call; lots of choices.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
truckeroy

Thanks for the info. I have a friend that has 2 trans. one is out of a 57 chev car cast no 3845122 muncie that is 22" lg. The other is 22" lg saginaw cast no. 3858986. My trans is only 16" long. I would assume the saginaw is a better trans to use. What would I have to do to make this trans work? I assume the driveshaft has to be shorter and the yoke changed to a fine spline? What yoke would work? Will the floor shifter be in a different location? I am close to the stock seat now. With this much change, maybe going auto is best. A 4spd would put the shifter farther back also, wouldn't it? Thanks.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
66Submarine

Are the transmissions otherwise the same as yours? If they are, you might consider looking into using the tailshaft housing etc from your shorter one and the rest from the car trans. (IMO it's not that hard to work on transmissions; I've never had much trouble.) Still another option would be to find another out of a truck; shouldn't be too hard. (I have ended up with several without trying)

The Saginaw is a stronger trans with a synchro first gear. You just need a fine spline yoke and the driveshaft shortened to use it. Three speed shifter location is pretty much the same as the little Muncie IIRC; four speed is farther back, but works fine using a shifter (the stick/lever) for a 55-57 Bel Air. My fathers '66 has a Saginaw four speed with the aforementioned Hurst Comp Plus shifter and stick, and it's real nice.

I personally always like the third pedal in stuff that I drive, but that's just me. Not an auto fan. (Unless it's a drag strip deal)
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
jtrichard

saginaw is the best way to go by far
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
truckeroy

Thans guys. I have found a 3spd saginaw that a friend is willing to sell me. I think that is the way I'll go for now. I just have to get a driveshaft to fit it now. I think a mid 80's swb chev truck is a close matched driveshaft.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
61K10

what wheel base? s-bed or long? 2 piece D/S? powerglide d/s from a 63-66 should maybe work with a new yoke from a th350.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
truckeroy

It's a short wheel base with a one piece ds. Since I don't have the saginaw trans yet I have estimated that the drive shaft would need to be approx 55.25" long ujoint to ujoint, since the existing ds is 61.25" u joint to ujoint. and the saginaw is approx 6" longer than my current trans. I would think a pg d/s from 63-66 would be a little hard for me to find around here and shipping would be a little high, but I will try to find out the length of one and start looking. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
jtrichard

have you looked for a drive shaft shop? they can shorten your drive shaft to fit.... when we have changed them we put the shaft in the lathe and cut and line up every thing and weld it backup
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
truckeroy

Yes there is a shop around here, but if I can find on that fits, it will be cheaper since i will have to change yokes and probably put in new ujoints on the one I have. Sometimes you can get the whole driveshaft for the price of a yoke.When I moved about 6 years ago, I threw away about 4 driveshafts, including one I had shortened and sold 2 yokes at a swap meet. I thought I wouldn't be needing those. WRONG!
Old 11-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
1963c-10

I wouldn't do anything until you can verify the trans splines first. They may match up. My 67 HD borg t-16 3 speed is the same spline as my 63 muncie mc318 3 speed. And i had a saginaw 3 here for a buddy awhile ago....the saginaw, muncie and borg were all the same length.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
truckeroy

Good point. I won't get a driveshaft until I get the trans. My current trans is the original 64 "peanut" 16" long and I "think" it has a coarser output spline than the Saginaw, but the same spline that goes into the clutch. Like you said don't buy until I'm sure. That is how I ended up with so much extra stuff in the garage. HA.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
truckeroy

Just a thought on my driveshaft length issue. I notice people talking about the two engine mounting locations on the frame. It seems that my 305 is mounted in the rear most location. This puts the HEI close to the firewall. Is there a problem with moving the engine to the forward location? I know it will put the weight forward, but doubt that would be a big problem. I know the gas pedal linkage needs to lengthen. I have plenty of space to the radiator. this would allow for more leaway on getting an available driveshaft and give me more firewall clearance. Of course, if I find a driveshaft that fits where it is, I would not move the engine. I know there are people on this site that have moved their engine locations and know the issues, so I'm just asking for opnions. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
66Submarine

It will also mess up the clutch linkage. Just leave it where it is; 67-72 trucks came with Saginaw three speeds, and had the same frame; just find a driveshaft from one of them, or shorten yours. Finding a fine spline (27 spline) yoke in a junkyard should be zero issue; it's what most stuff will probably have; TH350, 700R4, 200R4, Saginaw/Muncie three/four speeds, etc.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
truckeroy

I knew someone had thought this out better than I had. Thanks, I'll keep it simple.