The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
NicoSlam

Steering column questions

So I'm in the process of installing a 700r4 in my 69SWB and have questions regarding what type of Steering Column to find. I was told that a 3 speed Auto column would work and only the indicator needs to be changed to a 4 speed. I mentioned to bowtieoverdrives that it didn't make sense since the pivot points at the bottom end may not allow that extra position. I was told that the overall throw was the same. I was convinced and ordered the 4 speed indicator by iditit. Now, I see 4 speed auto columns for sale so I'm confused as to there must be a reason why GM made two types of columns. Was I right about the pivots or can you use a 3 speed column as a four speed with simply changing the indicator?? On another thread discussing my trans, The point was made that there really is no need to be on the last gear select which I agree but I want to understand compatibility before I take the short cut.

thanks
NicoSlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
kpeztruck

Re: Steering column questions

Years ago, I used a 3-speed auto column for my 700r4. I did go the extra step of fabricating some proper detents, and was able to get all the gears manually when done. This was 12-13 years ago now. Paul
kpeztruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
NicoSlam

Thnaks for the reply. Does anyone know what years or options the 4 speed columns used in. Obviously, 700r4 were not around from 1967-72 so what tran was used that required a 4 speed Auto column?? Sorry for the all the questions.
NicoSlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

I used the original column in my 70 & it has enough travel to get all the positions. I still have the original dial but I know where each position is. I would like to find a 4th over indicator. The 4 speed came out in the trucks about 1984.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
rsavage

When I converted my 4 speed Burb to a 200 4R I used a TH350/400 column. I bought a billet aftermarket linkage rod and was able to adjust it to get all gears and have the neutral safety switch and backup switch to work correctly. The detents are in the transmission. The indicator doesn't line up perfectly, but it is easy to tell what gear you have placed it in.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
I used the original column in my 70 & it has enough travel to get all the positions. I still have the original dial but I know where each position is. I would like to find a 4th over indicator. The 4 speed came out in the trucks about 1984.
i bought mine from LMC for a reasonable price, the pic is when i was mocking it up to see how it fits i think one of the parts is for a tilt column but look like it will fit fine on my regular column.
Attached Images

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 01-14-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Wrenchbender Ret

Thank's Scrub. LMC is right near me. I will get those.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote