The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2016, 02:39 AM   #1
rod1701

Re: I need tips on removing thick grease from engine.

For the fire wall, if there isn't caked on grease, and.just the regular dust, dirt and road grime, I have found that us a spray on rinse off wheel cleaner will cut it well.

Also working on the Suburban engine bay, not sure it has been cleaned in 45 years. Honestly .other sure.if the engine has ever been out of the truck. Even the drivers side heat shield was still on the manifold. Will have to.take a pic a d show what was attached to passengers side manifold.at the flange, looked.like.a.valve or baffle.of.some sort.

Anyway, Started with Purple.Power, not a dent. Moved to POR, very little difference. Then to $1 oven cleaner and cut most of it off. Then pulled brackets, manifolds, pulleys and accessories and.found tons more goop.Hit it again with oven cleaner, while keeping exhaust ports plugged. Going to check again tomorrow. I.think another light oven cleaner.and.maybe brake.spray cleaner.Dr before painting.